• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whiterook
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Maud'dib View Post
    Axis and Allies Minis.

No I realize there are better rules systems out there. But A&A minis are ok looking pre painted and it's kid friendly.

I'm only into minis for light wargaming. If I want a serious wargame, I'll get out the cardboard instead. Not that minis isn't serious, it's just not my thing when I'm feeling serious.

Now ideal would likely be a good rules system, and a large collection of 1/72nd stuff. But heck I don't have enough lifetime needed to get it painted.
    Very well stated! My thoughts exactly.

Leave a comment:

• armor11
    replied
    Originally posted by SocomSniper View Post
    what is your favorite war (civil war, WW1, WW2, modern wars) miniatures game?

Tim

Leave a comment:

• armor11
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Maud'dib View Post
    But heck I don't have enough lifetime needed to get it painted.
    Hah! You ought to try to get a 1500 pt (standard build) Russian Infantry army painted for Flames of War!

Tim

Leave a comment:

• LRB
    replied
    Axis and Allies Minis.

No I realize there are better rules systems out there. But A&A minis are ok looking pre painted and it's kid friendly.

I'm only into minis for light wargaming. If I want a serious wargame, I'll get out the cardboard instead. Not that minis isn't serious, it's just not my thing when I'm feeling serious.

Now ideal would likely be a good rules system, and a large collection of 1/72nd stuff. But heck I don't have enough lifetime needed to get it painted.

Leave a comment:

• armor11
    replied
    Originally posted by SocomSniper View Post
    what is your favorite war (civil war, WW1, WW2, modern wars) miniatures game?

If you don't mide, please post why when you answer.

My current fave is "All Things Zombie." What can I say? I love zombies. You can also play it solitaire, which is highly unusual for a miniatures game. It's got a rather unique reaction based system that creates a lot of interesting games, despite it's simplicity.

I've played a fair amount of Flames of War (Germans and British) and can recommend it whole heartedly. Easy combat system (in general) but enough detail to make for some interesting battles. Very active and supportive community.

I've also been playing a couple fantasy/sci-fi games that are interesting: "Warlord" (Fantasy) and "No Limits" (Sci-Fi). Both of them are cheap and you can proxy miniatures pretty easily. No Limits has *no* rules about which miniatures you use. And it's rules are free!

Tim

Leave a comment:

• Whiterook
    replied
    Axis & Allies Minis for me as well. I am taking baby steps in miniatures painting, so perhaps Flame of War may be on my horizon; the vehicles are awesome, though I'm not sure what I think of the cartoonish infantry figures just yet.

It's technically not a minis game, but I adore Memoir '44!

Leave a comment:

• traygreen
    replied
    Originally posted by Full Monty View Post
    Back in the days when I had the time and the capability

1/300 'Ultra Modern' using 'Challenger' (good for small engagements) and 'Wargame Research Group' (simpler and so better for the larger battles) rulesets was a personal favourite. I think it was the fact that one was speculating about warfare rather than refighting old battles that made it attractive.

I did also enjoy other periods too (WW2 1/300 and 25mm, Napoleonic 25mm, Medieval 15mm, amongst others).
    Challenger... that brings back some memories... that and Tractics (caculate everything but the effect of the fly the shell hit on the way down range) . I just took a bunch of 1/285 WWII armor off a friend (to keep him from ebaying them) and he had 75-100 mixed peices of modern armor in there.. I am halfway tempted to check on EBay and see if I can find a copy

Leave a comment:

• traygreen
    replied
    Originally posted by Tredegar View Post
    I have always been partial to Napoleonics. I used to play Empire 3 back in the 80's. Now my minis are sitting in the garage collecting dust. I am thinking about EBaying them off.
    Post some pics - maybe we can save you the EBay comission ... & I am serious... can always use more minis esp 15 or 10 mm.

Leave a comment:

• SocomSniper
    replied
    Originally posted by comm. waffle View Post
    Axis and Allies is great. Because after about 3 or 4 days of intense stardigies and tacitics, when you win, its hilarous to see your friend(s) get all ma and throw stuff around..unless its my house
    ahhahaha! nice.

yea, Axis and Allies is great.

Leave a comment:

• BarcelonaBlom
    replied
    Well it'd make an awesome hypothetical WW3 game

Leave a comment:

• Infamous Mr V
    replied
    Yup... I know how you feel. I have just taken the background and exploited it for my wargamming needs!

Leave a comment:

• BarcelonaBlom
    replied
    Cool. I've got the RPG 1st and most of the 2nd editions... its a bit complicated but I love the setting!

Leave a comment:

• Infamous Mr V
    replied
    Take Cover! is a good game... I know the guy who wrote it.

If you are into 20mm gaming check out The Guild Forum...

http://theguild.informe.com/index.php

All my Twilight2000 'Work-in-progress' stuff is in the members area...

Leave a comment:

• BarcelonaBlom
    replied
    Me and my dad play Take Cover! for 20mm:1/72 WWII. I'd like to find a good company/battalion level game.

Twilight 2000? That sounds really interesting!

Leave a comment:

• Full Monty
    replied
    Back in the days when I had the time and the capability

1/300 'Ultra Modern' using 'Challenger' (good for small engagements) and 'Wargame Research Group' (simpler and so better for the larger battles) rulesets was a personal favourite. I think it was the fact that one was speculating about warfare rather than refighting old battles that made it attractive.

I did also enjoy other periods too (WW2 1/300 and 25mm, Napoleonic 25mm, Medieval 15mm, amongst others).

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X