Jutland Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jutland Review

Hey guys, check out our latest review of Jutland, War in the North Sea and Baltic, 1914 - 1918.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/artic...&page=1&cat=59

Thanks for the review. I've been waiting for one before picking this game up. Looks like it might be just what I'm looking for. Too bad about the lack of rules for formations though...
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Comment

Formations

Glad you found the review useful and I hope you enjoy the game. I had fun with the game during the review. Regarding formations, it really would not be hard to put some "house rules" in effect that would better simulate ship facings / formations. For example, ships firing to the front or rear, would have gun factors halved. Turning could take up movement points etc. Ships must move in divisionns of at least four ships (actually this is already a rule), etc. This would give a more period feel I believe.

Let us know how your experience with the game goes.

Larry
      Larry Levandowski

Join the Army and see the Navy
      sandwich board in the Marx Brother's Duck Soup, 1933

Comment

I've heard that the Dreadnoughts scenario and optional rules book makes the rule system more in depth and challenging. I just haven't picked it up yet as I own most of the 2nd World War games, which is strange, since the First World War interests me more. Jutland is definitely the next one I will get.

Comment

I purchased Jutland and Bomb Alley. With no one to play against I have been attempting to play solitaire, which is quite difficult with this game. Avalanche Press gave me some insights on playing solitaire but these are only somewhat helpful. any ideas?

Comment

Solo Play

Originally posted by frouss View Post
            I purchased Jutland and Bomb Alley. With no one to play against I have been attempting to play solitaire, which is quite difficult with this game. Avalanche Press gave me some insights on playing solitaire but these are only somewhat helpful. any ideas?
            The tactical game works pretty well solo in my experience. It's the strategic game that is hard to play solo. No real good answer there. I seem to recall that the old AH game of Jutland had some ideas in a General mag article. It was something like...make three or four strategic plans for the attacking force. Plot moves for each plan, put them in envelopes and select one randomly.

I take it you saw the Avalach web page on solitaire for Great Naval Battles:
            http://www.avalanchepress.com/SolitaireGWAS.php

You might also want to lobby Avalanche for an Aide de Camp 2 or Vassal Engine version of the game so you can play PBEM with other players worldwide. It does not seem they have one.

Good Luck
            Larry
            Larry Levandowski

Join the Army and see the Navy
            sandwich board in the Marx Brother's Duck Soup, 1933

Comment

It's a good thing I bought a laminator machine. There are a lot of data sheets for these games. I got Jutland in the mail and I can't believe how many ships are in there! It makes you appreciate just how grandiose Tirpitz was. Also the Russian Borodino class ships are all there.....almost exactly as they would be thirty years later.
              A lot of scenarios for this game. I have to get the mediterranean one too sometime, just to see if I can actually make that Austrian dreadnought do some good.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X