No announcement yet.

Terrible Swift Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swampwolf wrote: "but what I'm hearing about the Gamers' Civil War Brigade and Regimental series has really intrigued me. Like many games, GBotACW system is driven by pulling chits. That works good in the games I've seen and simulates command and control without bogging you down in the details. The 'writing out' of orders in the Gamers series really turned me off until it was actually explained to me, and now I'm seriously thinking of getting into it. I'll probably start with the Brigade level games and not replace my GMT collection, because those GMT games are still fun with lots of random events. The only problem is that Gettysburg is too easy unless you are a timid player."

I just finished This Terrible Sound which I played with Dave Powell and some other friends. It's a hoot. Please don't let the orders writing mechanic get you down. I wrote an article back on this website in June of 2004 about playing the CWB and the RSS, I think you can still access it. I do think that it is a good idea to start with the CWB and then dive into the RSS, though. I still enjoy an occasional game that is easier to get into like Champion Hill, No Better Place to Die or Perryville." By the way, there have been random events written for most of the CWB games as well as the RSS games.
    I come here to discuss a piece of business with you and what are you gonna do? You're gonna tell me fairy tales? James Caan in the movie "Thief" ca 1981

Comment

Six Sided Dice: "Like `Gettysburg - Badges of Courage` perhaps?"

I have heard rumors of errata problems with that game. I'm not sure how true they are.
      I come here to discuss a piece of business with you and what are you gonna do? You're gonna tell me fairy tales? James Caan in the movie "Thief" ca 1981

Comment

Has anybody played Fateful Lightning and TSS. Both are regimental based. I'm invovled in an upcoming team game and we are trying to decide which to play. None us seem to have played both.
        "Put guards on all the roads, and don't let the men run to the rear."
        Major General John Buford's final words on his deathbed.

Comment

I'm trying to get into the Gamer's brigade series but I do have the new GBotACW series and I think it is great for simulating the detail. The command system is streamlined enough with the chit system, but the real action is in how you actually use your regiments.

The same maker also has a brigade series which is the simplest ACW system I've seen. They are coming out with a game for Antietam in fact.

Comment

Swampwolf wrote: "I'm trying to get into the Gamer's brigade series but I do have the new GBotACW series and I think it is great for simulating the detail. The command system is streamlined enough with the chit system, but the real action is in how you actually use your regiments."

Dave Powell has a Stones River game coming out using the GBACW system. Is there a problem you are having regarding getting into the CWBS? Is it orders writing? The morale system? I have to admit that I've been more into the RSS of The Gamers Civil War series, but I still enjoy the occasional Brigade level game.

Swampwolf wrote:"The same maker also has a brigade series which is the simplest ACW system I've seen. They are coming out with a game for Antietam in fact."

Yes, you are writing about the Glory system from GMT. Not a bad system, but I still prefer the Gamers ACW stuff. BTW, did Richard Berg ever iron out the goofiness of the cav combat rules in the Glory system?

Comment

TSS was/is a classic!

Only saw it layed out once though (at Gamecon IIRC years ago).

But S&T also published some more managable games based on the same system - I have one Stonewall (Kernstown 1862) which is pretty good.
              http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Originally posted by Tom DeFranco View Post
                Dave Powell has a Stones River game coming out using the GBACW system. Is there a problem you are having regarding getting into the CWBS? Is it orders writing? The morale system? I have to admit that I've been more into the RSS of The Gamers Civil War series, but I still enjoy the occasional Brigade level game.
                I've just had an easier time finding opponents for GBACW and I do think that the system plays better for smaller scenarios where you are fighting with Divisions and not the whole army. Speaking of that, I need to find some more scenarios for Gettysburg. That's one thing I didn't like about the game: it only had a few scenarios, and that didn't include Culp's Hill, Devil's Den, the Wheatfield, etc. If Little Round Top is there then those should be too. In my opinion, that battle has more than enough small scenarios for a game.

The guy I know who plays The Gamer's Brigade Series is currently playing World in Flames against me, so that'll have to wait a while.

Yes, you are writing about the Glory system from GMT. Not a bad system, but I still prefer the Gamers ACW stuff. BTW, did Richard Berg ever iron out the goofiness of the cav combat rules in the Glory system?
                I don't know. I've only played Fredericksburg from that system, and cavalry is not very signifigant in the battle.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampwolf View Post
                  I've just had an easier time finding opponents for GBACW and I do think that the system plays better for smaller scenarios where you are fighting with Divisions and not the whole army. Speaking of that, I need to find some more scenarios for Gettysburg. That's one thing I didn't like about the game: it only had a few scenarios, and that didn't include Culp's Hill, Devil's Den, the Wheatfield, etc. If Little Round Top is there then those should be too. In my opinion, that battle has more than enough small scenarios for a game.
                  That's the thing about the CWB or RSS there are tons of scenarios in both Thunder at the Crossroads and This Hallowed Ground.

The guy I know who plays The Gamer's Brigade Series is currently playing World in Flames against me, so that'll have to wait a while.
                  Our group is going in the other direction - from the RSS of the Gamers to OCS Sicily by the Gamers.

I don't know. I've only played Fredericksburg from that system, and cavalry is not very signifigant in the battle.
                  I have only played the first game of that series.

Comment

I have only played the first game of that series.
                    In that case, I would assume that it is fixed. Glory 2 includes replacement cavalry counters for Glory 1. Actually there are a lot of dismounted cavalry, so you have that option. I don't know how Chickamauga plays without them.
                    Anyway this is the easiest ACW system I know of.

I am anxiously looking forward to Mr. Berg's squad level game on the Civil War, Crucible of Courage.

Comment

In that case, I would assume that it is fixed. Glory 2 includes replacement cavalry counters for Glory 1. Actually there are a lot of dismounted cavalry, so you have that option. I don't know how Chickamauga plays without them.
                      Anyway this is the easiest ACW system I know of.

I am anxiously looking forward to Mr. Berg's squad level game on the Civil War, Crucible of Courage.
                      Yes, Chickamauga without dismounted cav is weird. I haven't even tried that scenario because of that reason.

I playtested the CWTS a little, first the units are companies, not squads. Our group suggested color guards to give the units something to rally towards. I don't think Berg went for it. It is really is difficult to maintain unit cohesiveness in that company level series.

A recent game that I liked a lot, is Not War But Murder from Against the Odds Magazine. It uses the popular, Monty's Gamble system and works well for the Civil War, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Six Sided Dice View Post
                        Is Terrible Swift Sword dated now, or are there any new ACW games on this scale that are as good or better? Hopefully taking up wayyyy less space (maybe chopped down into more managable chunks with simpler rules lol).

I`d be very interested in the title(s) if so

Cheers,

Six.
                        I realize that you specified ACW, but if you're interested in WWII, Alanein from Avalanche Press looks pretty darned interesting. I've not fully explored their games list yet, but perhaps they have similar on ACW
                        http://www.militarywargaming.com

"The Golden Rule of War, Speed - Simplicity - Boldness" -- General George S. Patton, Jr

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X