Terrible Swift Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrible Swift Sword

Is Terrible Swift Sword dated now, or are there any new ACW games on this scale that are as good or better? Hopefully taking up wayyyy less space (maybe chopped down into more managable chunks with simpler rules lol).

I`d be very interested in the title(s) if so

Cheers,

Six.
    Last edited by Six Sided Dice; 04 Apr 07, 08:21.

Originally posted by Six Sided Dice View Post
    Is Terrible Swift Sword dated now, or are there any new ACW games on this scale that are as good or better? Hopefully taking up wayyyy less space (maybe chopped down into more managable chunks with simpler rules lol).

I`d be very interested in the title(s) if so

Cheers,

Six.
    The game system from TSS designed by Richard Berg still lives on today with GMT's GBoACW series:

http://www.gmtgames.com/gmt0g.htm#cw

They are all quite massive games though, you might wanna try the Gamers's Civil War Brigade Series that someone asked about in this thread:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=49623

It has less units on the map (brigades instead of regiments) and uses an innovative written orders system.

Comment

I have really enjoyed TSS over the years... have played maybe 10-15 complete or to decision games... but have not played since finding GMT's GBoACW. The 2004 release of 3DoG is a great step forward for TSS and is a wonderful game.

The largest change that affected multi-player gaming is using the chit pull to determine unit activation. Gone are the days of TSS when all the Union Corps moved at once. The huge I go/you go cycles really played well into having multiple commanders per side and having several people moving their commands conncurrently. With the activation cycle, only one unit (generally) is active at a time so the game is more managable in a two player format, but does lead to much more down time for players if trying to play with multiple players per side.

The game is still a three mapper and takes a considerable investement of time and space.

I would have to agree with Boonierat, that Gamers's Civil War Brigade Series might be a good option for you. Moving the level up to the Brigade will make for smaller & quicker games while the system itself if very nice.
      Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Battlefield Tours for Wargamers
      Normandy 2007
      ACW Border Wars 2008
      Bulge 2008

Comment

Thank you so much for that, very much appreciated

I will check out these games and links asap.

Comment

Any thoughts on `Gettysburg - Badges of Courage` by Columbia Games?

Comment

I still like TSS. Nothing wrong with old school.

Comment

Nothing wrong with retro (old school) games. They often seem better constructed - and sometimes play more smoothly. But every so often, a new game comes along which breaks new ground

I guess that`s called progress.

*However, I usually kick and squeal against anything new*

Comment

Like `Gettysburg - Badges of Courage` perhaps?

Comment

Hmmmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Six Sided Dice View Post
                    Like `Gettysburg - Badges of Courage` perhaps?
                    Can't give you any feedback on that game as I have yet to give it a shot.

Totally different beast that TSS or 3DoG. Each has its place though.

Columbia block games are typically fun games for me and I really enjoy playing them. Usually playable in an afternoon and nice to look at IMHO.

I think that the title of the thread may limit the number of replies to your new question as a lot of the people that will play TSS will not necisarily play a block game. Of course there are weirdos like me that will play just about anything... just haven't tried this game yet...

DOOOOHHHHH!!!! Just saw your other thread.
                    Last edited by traygreen; 05 May 07, 00:19. Reason: dooooohhh!!!!
                    Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Normandy 2007
                    ACW Border Wars 2008
                    Bulge 2008

Comment

TSS = Bang for the Buck

Originally posted by Martok View Post
                      I still like TSS. Nothing wrong with old school.
                      I would have to agree. I still have my 30 year old copy and would love to dust it off again if for nothing more than old time's sakes. I bet you my cost of ownership on that game is less than a nickle an hour given the time I have spent playing it.
                      Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Normandy 2007
                      ACW Border Wars 2008
                      Bulge 2008

Comment

Hello traygreen

Yeah, I completely agree with you, TSS is a wonderful monster of a game - a total classic. It`s just too big for me to mess with anymore (which is why I`m going to sell mine on e-bay some time soon, when I actually get round to it... Plug! Plug! LOL).

I`m a bit sheltered about the number of ACW games there are out there. When buying something new for the hobby, I tend to think about a single game for ages, and if I`m still interested in an item in a few months - I buy it; then play it to death over the next yew years, and like a favourite sofa, I don`t really think about buying another one until the old one is well and truly `past its sell by date`

My curiosity about Terrible Swift Sword, and the new Gettysburg -Badges of Courage, and the way I phrased the questions in this thread was to provoke a response... to see how people feel about either game. Which is particularly relevant to me, because I all ready HAVE Terrible Swift Sword, and have Gettysburg - Badges of Courage ordered and flying it`s way towards me even as we speak

I always love feedback on games. I find it helps me order my own thoughts sometimes. So when my questions sometimes seem a bit thick, or open ended; it usually means I`m interested in hearing other peoples` opinions and so on.

I know… I`m just a bit weird I guess hehehe.

Cheers lads,

Steve (Six).

Comment

TSS has been around a long time and I have the new GMT version of it and others in the series,

but what I'm hearing about the Gamers' Civil War Brigade and Regimental series has really intrigued me. Like many games, GBotACW system is driven by pulling chits. That works good in the games I've seen and simulates command and control without bogging you down in the details. The 'writing out' of orders in the Gamers series really turned me off until it was actually explained to me, and now I'm seriously thinking of getting into it. I'll probably start with the Brigade level games and not replace my GMT collection, because those GMT games are still fun with lots of random events. The only problem is that Gettysburg is too easy unless you are a timid player.

Most of all, though, I'm looking for Mr Berg's tactical ACW game.

Comment

Not a problem Steve. I would love to hear what you think of the game after you get it. It has been floating around on my wish list, but I am in a pretty deep hole with the wife over books lately and have needed to curtail my game spending to the necesities
                            Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Normandy 2007
                            ACW Border Wars 2008
                            Bulge 2008

Comment

Sure thing traygreen, I`ll revive this thread in a month or so, and write a battle/rules report on the game once I know how it plays out.

Similarly Swampwolf, I`d be really interested to hear your thoughts on Gamers series if you decide to get into it

------------
                              Six.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X