Best Ancient Rome games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Ancient Rome games

I'm looking for a good ancient rome game -- something on the scale of "Fading Legions" by Avalanche Press (which I haven't played). Any recommendations? I've heard good things about Richard Borg's Command and Colors: Ancients.
    Last edited by KG_Kharkov; 30 Mar 07, 14:05.

I don't like the style of game that Command and Colors is (quick, basic, gamey battles), but it is a huge seller for the less hardcore crowd. If you are more of a grognard, you'll want to stay away from it. It's the same as Memoir '44, Battle Cry, and the like.
    Personally, I don't like gaming over a bag of snacks. I prefer all the detail you can reasonably get as well as the specifics of that particular battle. It is more fun to try and work against your inferior troop quality, lost supply train, and against a diverted river than to just have a DRM because of a stream, or whatever.

The Great Battles of History series has all of the fun detail and the chrome is not too heavy while still fun....and you can play without the chrome or even with simplified rules if you like! However you play it, you still have a variety of troops, maneuver, interesting terrain, and great history to go with it. I would totally recommend preordering the Deluxe SPQR, especially if you like Rome. I have a lot of the series, including two of the Caesar games (there are four total), and the Alexander game (which can be moduled to work with Roman games), and they are one of my three favorite series of games.

I tell you what I am interested in is their Ancient World series, which will be grand strategy, with each game focues on a different area. They've put out two, and only the Carthage game is available (need to get that one), but they apparently want to cover the whole mediterranean in a kind of 'Classical Europa' game, and hopefully beyond!
    Last edited by Swampwolf; 01 Apr 07, 16:30.

Comment

Originally posted by KG_Kharkov View Post
      I'm looking for a good ancient rome game -- something on the scale of "Fading Legions" by Avalanche Press (which I haven't played). Any recommendations? I've heard good things about Richard Borg's Command and Colors: Ancients.
      How about Rome Total War
      "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations, Swamp. I actually pre-ordered Deluxe SPQR from GMT after checking it out based on your recommendation.

I also printed off the rules for C&C: Ancients and that looks like a nice lightweight game that I can play with my son. I'm working him up in the complexity levels of games so eventually he'll be playing games like SPQR or ASL.

And Surrey, I was looking for board games. I have the PC game "Rome Total War" -- is there a boardgame version with the same name?

Comment

While I also prefer games with a bit more meat, I really enjoy Command and Colors esp for introducing new(er) players to historical gaming and for playing with my son (he's 14 playing Command & Colors, Combat Commander & 40K and getting old anough for more complicated games - how old is your son?).

I too would recommend SPQR & have been playing a bit of GBoH.
          Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Battlefield Tours for Wargamers
          Normandy 2007
          ACW Border Wars 2008
          Bulge 2008

Comment

Hi Tray:

I actually read through the C and C rules and think it's a perfect stepping stone for my son so I've ordered it for us to play. He's only 8 but he's mastered the Memoir 44 rules and we've been playing that for a few months now. He really enjoys games and is naturally curious about them since dad has stockpiles of them. We started out playing really simple games like Stratego and then went to Axis and Allies. I stumbled on Memoir 44 and it is the perfect game for us because it had enough complexity to keep dad interested but was short enough that mom and the other siblings wouldn't be upset about us playing games all day long (not to mention trying to keep a game set up when younger kids are running around the house).

I think C&C: Ancients will be a good next step for him. Should his interest in wargames continue, when he gets older I'd love to teach him the basics of ASL (I got SL when I was 10). Maybe next year, if C&C Ancients goes well, I might try to find some simple division level WW2 games (like the old D-Day) for us to play.

SPQR will be for me (and my friends)!

Comment

My son started playing games with us when we (my wife & I) were marketing a card game we put out in the late 90's. By 2000 he was about your son's age and attending Gencon & Origins with us and helping to run demos... he still has not fully learned to lose graciously.

So he started with Plague & Pestilence... move on to Pokemon... Shadowfist (a kung fu movies based ccg) and then on to Settlers & Carcassone (great tile based game that your son may enjoy too) and then on to Command and Colors and finally Combat Commander and .... arghhhhhh... 40k . If he can get Combat Commander figured out to where he is thinking about what he is doing I will finally find that local ASL opponent I have been looking for.

Unfortunately as he is now a teenager and I have reached the point in life where I appear to know less & less with every passing day, so most likely he will be someone else's opponent until somtime in this mid-twenties . I'll keep making games available to him though and have an agreement with him that I will play any game with him at anytime that he asks.
              Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Normandy 2007
              ACW Border Wars 2008
              Bulge 2008

Comment

Glad to see someone else deciding to get into GBoH.

The ones I already own have convinced me to buy the whole series eventually, along with the even better Musket and Pike games.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampwolf View Post
                  The ones I already own have convinced me to buy the whole series eventually, along with the even better Musket and Pike games.
                  Ditto on the Musket and Pike. Anyone that hasn't tried them but that is looking for some interesting games should give these a shot. Very accessible.
                  Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Normandy 2007
                  ACW Border Wars 2008
                  Bulge 2008

Comment

I have always liked "Caesar's Alesia" by AH. It's an oldie...and only the one battle, but I have passed may weekends battling opponents on it. Not real hard...and pretty linear. More of an Introductory boardgame to ancient wars
                    Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
                    In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
                    Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Comment

Originally posted by panzermacher View Post
                      I have always liked "Caesar's Alesia" by AH. It's an oldie...and only the one battle, but I have passed may weekends battling opponents on it. Not real hard...and pretty linear. More of an Introductory boardgame to ancient wars
                      Haven't played that in years. I will need to dust off my copy and give it another spin...
                      Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Normandy 2007
                      ACW Border Wars 2008
                      Bulge 2008

Comment

GMT has a game covering the siege of Alesia that's supposed to be one of the most balanced in the series.

Somewhere down the road they are also planning to have a Wars of the Caesars game covering battles of Trajan, Aurelius, and I think Constantine.

Comment

Well, I got C&C: Ancients (and the first expansion) and my son has easily picked it up. We've played the first two scenarios so far and are starting the third (the first scenario with elephants). It's really Memoir 44 on steroids.

It is a very elegantly designed game that gives a surprisingly good feel for ancient combat. Rolling an exposed flank can really turn a battle. I'm very happy with the purchase. About the only complaint is that the mapboard is not as sturdy as the Memoir 44 board.

SPQR Deluxe should be in print this summer. I look forward to trying that out.

Comment

Originally posted by KG_Kharkov View Post
                            Well, I got C&C: Ancients (and the first expansion) and my son has easily picked it up. We've played the first two scenarios so far and are starting the third (the first scenario with elephants). It's really Memoir 44 on steroids.

It is a very elegantly designed game that gives a surprisingly good feel for ancient combat. Rolling an exposed flank can really turn a battle. I'm very happy with the purchase. About the only complaint is that the mapboard is not as sturdy as the Memoir 44 board.

SPQR Deluxe should be in print this summer. I look forward to trying that out.
                            Yep, my son loves the game and "hates" the elephants. He can never resist poking the beast while he's got it surrounded with his troops. Sometimes it works out for him but most times he ends up telling me how "unfair" it is that my elephants are trampling his light infantry.

After about 20 games, he has a pretty good handle on the game and is even getting a bit of a handle on managing his hand. The other day I "caught" him hoarding lefts and placing lefts/centers on the line so he could use his center card to push the left. Tricky little bugger .
                            Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Normandy 2007
                            ACW Border Wars 2008
                            Bulge 2008

Comment

It seems like SPQR is never going to get here. I'll be doubly happy when it does arrive. Either way, they did come out with a new scenario for the Conquest of Gaul game.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X