No announcement yet.

Finally ASL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay with recent reading on WW2 I'm stoked about the subject again, and I've finally ordered the whole deal: ASL Rules and BV. I'll probably catch an upgrade every month from here on out. Now just to find opponents.

Comment

The rulebook is in my possession and me and my fellowe gamer have stared at it for two weeks no in utter amazement. I feel that I am beginning to graps the sections invoving infantry combat and terrain, while my friend is still stunned about the shere size of it. Beyond Valour will be laying here waiting for us when we come back from our next manouvers at work. I hope for a rainy summer
      "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

The wise ASL newcomer masters Infantry, reads specific Terrain rules required and plays scenarios that just have infantry for a few games to get the feel of the game.

A good first game is The Guards counterattack. Just some squads, some machine guns and some leaders. You learn building rules a bit, woods terrain and roads for the most part.

Why choke yourself if you don't have to eh.

Asking for a list of similar scenarios over at the Gamesquad ASL forum should get you a lot of suggestions for equally good low unit, infantry only scenarios as well.
        Life is change. Built models for decades.
        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampwolf View Post
          Okay with recent reading on WW2 I'm stoked about the subject again, and I've finally ordered the whole deal: ASL Rules and BV. I'll probably catch an upgrade every month from here on out. Now just to find opponents.
          Come to Austin next month for the BIGGEST ASL Tournament ever.

You will meet many folks to help guide you through the games... As well as let you kill cardboard warriors.
          Kevin Kenneally
          Masters from a school of "hard knocks"
          Member of a Ph.D. Society (Post hole. Digger)

Comment

You may want to examine the starter kits before the full blown rules. It makes the transition the full version that much easier.

Welcome to the cult.
            The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

I've already got the first two starters and I've gone through them solitaire a few times. Old time ASLers I can't get to play me in that (fine, I'll beat them in ACW stuff that they do play).

What is it about tank rules that is supposedly so difficult? ATS tank rules are quite easy once you understand all of the terrain and emplacement rules. In what way do ASL tanks really become so difficult? Part of the reason I'm skipping over SK3 and going right to BV is because I've heard that the tank rules are so tough that I may as well go to full rules. Although that scenario #1 - US and Soviet POW linkup - sounds really cool.

Originally posted by Kevin Kenneally View Post
              Come to Austin next month for the BIGGEST ASL Tournament ever.

You will meet many folks to help guide you through the games... As well as let you kill cardboard warriors.
              Why did it have to be June? Unfortunately, between two jobs and sports, the one time I'll have to travel in the month will probably be to my scheduled medical checkup.

Comment

What is it about tank rules that is supposedly so difficult? ATS tank rules are quite easy once you understand all of the terrain and emplacement rules. In what way do ASL tanks really become so difficult?
                I don't think you should have any problem with the tank rules if you are playing ATS. The rules are equivalent in scope to the infantry and special terrain rules in depth and length, so you just have to plow through.

Like anything else, start slow. Start with a basic infantry scenario w/ a Stug or two thrown in and maybe an AT gun to counter. Then add a turreted AFV or so and work your way though. Things will start to make sense. I played quite a bit with a then Army Capt (now Major) who really had his head around the rules and as a tanker had a good handle on combined arms. I learned more in the 3 years he was in Riley (ok - two tours in Iraq to interrupt his stay in our fine state) than I had learned in the prior 30-35 years .

Why did it have to be June? Unfortunately, between two jobs and sports, the one time I'll have to travel in the month will probably be to my scheduled medical checkup.
                Anytime you can make a convention or even a group get together do so. You should learn a lot and may come up with new local ftf opponents.
                Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Battlefield Tours for Wargamers
                Normandy 2007
                ACW Border Wars 2008
                Bulge 2008

Comment

*sigh* My body just released som endorfines, because I just ordered my own Rule book as well as Beyond Valour. I honestly dont like the east front at all, but it is as I understand it the best way to start.

We started to play through another ASLSK scenario yesterday, "The war of the Rats". I made some poor things in the beginning, for example my flamethrower ran out of gas in the first attack which didnt amount to anything. Then my valiant stormpioneers ran across open ground placing a demo charge in a house occupied by some pesky russian conscripts. I messed up the order in my plan so that there wherent any follow on force to charge the building in the Advance phase but that didnt matter much. The blast just managed to scare one of the russian units, and I had hoped to bring down the whole building.
                  In the middle of turn two I also discovered that I had forgot to include another demo charge as well as three MG42s in my setup... I probably wont make that mistake again

How long is btw the average turn time for experienced players?
                  "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

I like all fronts but it's kind of irritating that PTO isn't available, and having watched MMP's printing rate for the past several months, I doubt it will be available anytime soon.

Is it required to have West of Alamein in order to play Hollow Legions? After Pacific, I'm most interested in playing minor nations, so I'll definitely get Armies of Oblivion. One step at a time. The one module I'm apprehensive about is the French one. Is it true that they really just make new rules and use British units?

How about Urban Combat. Is it like in ATS, where you can move to the roof/basement/destroy the building? Are there, like in ATS, two cover states or positions in different field terrain hexes?

Comment

ASL Tournament

ALL,

This Thursday, June 21st, will start the BIGGEST ASL Tournament in Texas.

So come on down to the La Quinta Inn at Exit 253 on IH-35 and enjoy the hospitality and playing of ASL.
                      Kevin Kenneally
                      Masters from a school of "hard knocks"
                      Member of a Ph.D. Society (Post hole. Digger)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X