Warhammer 40K After Action Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warhammer 40K After Action Report

Yesterday my son and I had our usual Sunday afternoon game, and I thought I would write up an After Action Report for all of you 40K players who might want to read. I will endeavor not to be long winded, but my son has voiced his hopeful desire for response, just to let us know what you think.

THE SCENARIO: We chose to incorporate parts from two of Games Workshops old Mighty Fortress' and set up a compound near the center of the table, open to the East edge of the table. Other terrain included hills and various tree and rock formations outside the castle. The object was to seize and hold the fortress/compound. A small detachment of troops, known as the defender, would be deployed inside, the attacker would deploy on the North end of the table and get first move, and the defenders relief force would deploy on the South end of the table and move second. We agreed to play six complete turns.

THE FORCES: Donnie chose to attack, and selected Imperial Space Marines, Blood Angels Chapter, for his assault force. He purchased two assault squads, one heavy weapons team, three dreadnoughts of varying armament, two ground assault bikes, one terminator squad, a command squad headed by a Captain and one Leiutenant. The command squad included a Librarian.

I chose to field my Choas hoard, under the banner of Khorne. I chose a Summoned Bloodthirster to head the force, with a squad of Bloodletters in support. I then chose one Devastator Squad, one Tactical Squad, and One Assault Squad. We limited mutations to one squad for simplicity, and my Tac Squad went into battle with Multiple Arms and Razor Sharp Claws. I also took a command unit of about six models, but no medics. Khorne would never allow medics anyway. I completed my force with one Whirlwind tank and three Choas Dreadnoughts.

Additionally, we agreed that the fortress would initially be held by some renegade Eldar troops, loyal to no-one and controlled by whoever's army they were not shooting at. This force amounted to seven Eldar Warriors and one Eldar War Walker.

THE GAME: Turn One: Donnie deployed within striking distance, and on turn one his assault troops quickly jumped up to the parapets and stood looking down into the interior. Meanwhile two of his Dreadnoughts lumbered up to the North Gate and blasted it into oblivion, opening a huge gap in the outer wall. Shells flying from bolters his die rolls were good, the result of which was the capture of the North East tower and the destruction of more than half of the puny Eldar defense force.

On my turn one I advanced from the South, capturing an outer defense tower without incident and reaching striking distance of the compound. Two of my dreadnoughts advanced as well toward the South Gate in preparation to blast the doors open and create an opening for the Bloodletter squad to charge inside, followed closely by their howling Chaos brethren. The Bloodthirster looked on, nodding his head in approval.

Turn Two: Entering from the gaping hole in the North Wall, Donnies Dreadnoughts and Marines charged either over or through the wall, completely eliminating the remaining Eldar and crossing the inner grounds. As none of my units were yet able to be targeted, he ended his turn.

The Choas turn begins with the Assault squad bounding up onto the West Wall, capturing the South West Tower and deploying a missile launcher marine atop it. Other marines line the papapet, now looking down into the crowded courtyard full of Blood Angels. Outside the South Gate, forces gather round the Dreadnoughts, waiting for them to blast an opening so that they may charge through and engage the hapless enemy. Both Khornate Dreadnoughts unleash torrents of fire upon the massive gate, but my die rolls are hideous, and after shooting, the doors still stand. My only saving grace is a blind shot into the castle by the Whirlwind, which scatters about but does take down one Marine. The Bloodthirster looks on, not pleased.

Turn Three: Terminators now enter the compound from the North. Marines fire up at targets along the West Wall, taking down one Chaos Marine. One ground bike rounds the North West corner of the castle and catches my third Dreadnought standing aside the West Wall, and fires its mounted Multi-Melta Gun. The Chaos Dreadnought falls into a simmering heap of twisted metal. Score one for the kid.

The Chaos army needs to get moving. To this end the Tactical squad employs its jump packs and mounts the South Wall, killing two Marines now deployed atop the South East Tower. The Assault Squad jumps into the compound, charging into Hand to Hand with a group of forward Marines. My remaining two Dreadnoughts fire again, this time managing to blast open the door. Next turn, the Bloodletters will have their due. HTH results in the elimination of two more Blood Angel Marines.

Turn Four: Donnie disengages his forward line, deftly deploying his Terminators into the attack. The Lightning Claw Terminator does grusome damage, taking out his opponent with ease. One of his Dreadnoughts unleashes a withering fire from his Plasma Gun, sending three Chaos Marines back into the void. A fourth is shot off of the wall by his Captain, the last of his units are in the compound, and his turn ends.

On my turn four, I make the mistake of rolling a to hit die roll before I move my forces, and my son doesn't cut me any slack. None of my troops are able to move except to charge into HTH. My Whirlwind launches another salvo, taking out two Marines, and fire from the Towers takes out one Dreadnought, one Ground Bike, and a Terminator. But no additional forces have entered the compound.

At the end of turn four, Donnie's Blood Angels are in control of over 50% of the castle grounds.

Turn Five: After limited movement, mostly to line up shots, Donnies Librarian cast a confusion mental assault on one of my Dreadnoughts, rendering it immobile for the turn. Bolt Guns, Heavy Bolters, Plasma Guns and a Las Cannon light up the sky, but the die fail him this turn, resulting in only three of my Chaos Elite going down. Sadly, Donnie ends his turn.

On my turn the Bloodletters finally enter the compound, making for the lead line of troops. My Devastator Squad has also made it inside, and deploys for action. The remainder of the assault squad shifts to the North, both along the upper walls and on the ground. Die rolls are good this turn, and a total of six marines, including another Terminator, go down. Half of the compound is now in Chaos hands.

Turn Six: Donnie Retreats!! Disengaging from the front line, the Marines fall back and reform. Another blast of fire sends two Chaos Marines and a Bloodletter to their infernal reward, but the tide has turned. As a final act of dispare, his sole remaining Dreadnought blast a plasma charge toward his Chaos equivalent, but to to avail.

On my turn six I advance and re-engage the enemy. The Bloodletters make it into HTH, carving up a few Marines from those left standing. Looking around, I realize that my forces now control more than 60% of the castle gounds, and outnumber the Blood Angels. I fire my Dreadnought one last time, and end the game.

Donnie has gone down in defeat, but like a good trooper says that he will get me next time. Since last week he did kick my butt, I won't be surprised if next game he does it again. Remember, he is only nine years old. Today, however, Chaos is triumphant.

Final Score: The Forces Of Khorne 1,018 points
    The Forces of the Imperium 760 points
    Last edited by Martok; 05 Mar 07, 12:29.

Bah, forces of Khorne....

*sigh*

Looks like the Black Knights need to get in the fight!
    The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

As I've said before:

Blood for the Blood God!
      “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Originally posted by Overseer View Post
        As I've said before:

Blood for the Blood God!
        Could you imagine a bored berzerker responding to that?

"Blood for the Blood God!"

"Yeah yeah. Skulls for the whatsit now."

Grandfather Nurgle is where it's at.

Comment

I never saw Nurgle as the grandfatherly type. All that icky, green stuff hanging off of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Martok View Post
            I never saw Nurgle as the grandfatherly type. All that icky, green stuff hanging off of him.
            Reminds me of my grandpa pretty well.

Just with less plaid.

Comment

Nurgle followers are just useful because you shoot (or stab) them more before they die.
              “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Originally posted by Overseer View Post
                Nurgle followers are just useful because you shoot (or stab) them more before they die.
                Exactly. Imagine two contemporary armies facing each other today, each relatvively the equal of the other. But one side is blessed by Nurgle and takes twice the firepower to put down, and have a chance of decimating the other side with plague.

Of course, the other side would have some tricks up their sleeves too, be it big honkin' axes, magic card tricks, or orgies (not sure about that on the battlefield, but to each his own I guess.).

And Nurglings kick ass!

Comment

Yeah, Slaneesh Demonettes look pretty good, except that they only have one breast. But if having an orgy will help you win a battle.......

Comment

pah!
                    eldar could beat them all!
                    just wait till i get my harlies!
                    어떻게 지내십니까?

Comment

Originally posted by Louis .v. View Post
                      pah!
                      eldar could beat them all!

The who?

Oh right, I found one of those on the bottom of my boot once.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X