Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Tabletop Strategy game should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I recommend for anyone who wants to wargame to just skip miniatures and go straight to the kind of wargames that better simulate what you are after.

ASLSK #1 I have had no problem getting others to jump right in after I fully understood the game myself.

Operational Level games can be very simple and still very fun.

I think you first have to decide what 'size' you want to play at, and then figure out the complexity you are willing to learn. Tactical games are easy to learn and difficult (in rules and multiple uses of units) to play. Operational/Strategic are difficult to learn and easy to play. World in Flames blew me away with all of its options in the game, but once I learned the rules I go through actions as if they were nothing (hard to learn, easy to play).

Leave a comment:

• SocomSniper
    replied
    I think you should get Axis and Allies. It's an awsome, extreamly fun, and exciting tabletop minitures game.

However, I very much don't reccomend the others that are listed. but that's my view on games that are not based on WW1 and 2 or other modern wars.
    I love playing games that have to do with WW2 especially. the only other game I like besides reallistic war games is Dungeons and Dragons which is Fantasy.

Games I reccomend: Axis and Allies, Dungeons and Dragons, Flames of War, Trench Wars, and BlitzkriegCommander.

Leave a comment:

• Frankenstein
    replied
    Originally posted by Six Sided Dice View Post
    See the 3 posts directly above.

Leave a comment:

• Six Sided Dice
    replied
    How about trying this game

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/tideofiron.html

Leave a comment:

• traygreen
    replied
    Originally posted by Frankenstein View Post
    I don't think it's been released yet. At least no up here in Canada. I heard late May...
    My mistake. Just checked their web site and the ship date is June.

Leave a comment:

• Frankenstein
    replied
    I don't think it's been released yet. At least no up here in Canada. I heard late May...

Leave a comment:

• traygreen
    replied
    Tide of Iron

Originally posted by BayonetBrant View Post
    Check out FFG's new Tide of Iron, too - mini figs for the kids to play with, but a bit more tactical nuance than Memoir '44 for the grog. Cards influence play but don't dictate it.
    Interview with the designer here: http://www.wargamer.com/articles/tideofiron_interview/
    Anyone playing this? Was toying with picking some up as a light game.

Leave a comment:

• BayonetBrant
    replied
    Check out FFG's new Tide of Iron, too - mini figs for the kids to play with, but a bit more tactical nuance than Memoir '44 for the grog. Cards influence play but don't dictate it.
    Interview with the designer here: http://www.wargamer.com/articles/tideofiron_interview/

Leave a comment:

• Six Sided Dice
    replied
    Ah well, I guess not then

*chuckles*

Leave a comment:

• Six Sided Dice
    replied
    I`ve been following this thread, and finally offer my own thoughts.

Reading all you say, it looks like Heroscape is actually the one for you, except for the fact the official rules are too nerdy and simple for you.

The figures themselves are quite enchanting, and utterly addictive to collect... and (perhaps more importantly) fairly easy to acquire, either in the shops/stores or on line.

As for the rules. I will happily send you my own creation (which is a core rules engine, and includes a 120 page Heroscape conversion supplement). I wrote this for personal use over the last few years, and don`t mind letting others enjoy as well.

As for Lord of the Rings Combat Hex, you may find it very hard to find most the figures any more, as the system is defunct. Games Workshop`s 30mm Strategy Battle range is ideal for the Heroscape terrain hexes. I also have a rules supplement for this.

Last edited by Six Sided Dice; 24 Apr 07, 05:28.

Leave a comment:

• maian
    replied
    Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom View Post
    Memoir '44 Excellent starter game, fast, fun, easy to learn, and gives you a nice base in strategy and the "Winds of War"

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/artic...&page=1&cat=59
    I hate Memoir '44. My friends hate it too. Its purely luck. Its mindless cards and dice rolling. I must advice aganist it, I get a "WWII styled Risk" feeling from it.

Axis and Allies takes more strategy. More of planning things out, logisitcs of when X units make it to the Eastern front, movements. Its all in planning. Yet it often does come down to dice rolls, but It still satisfies my strategic needs.

Heroscape. Ive played it and had fun. Yet Im tempted to buy Heroscape and a bunch of Lord of the Rings Tradeable Miniatures game figures. I find it to be a great game. The figures fit PERFECTLy, on the hex. You can set up some cool battles. Just google LOTR TMG, click the first site and then click the forums to find more information. Not much of it is left, but Im still sure it could bring some LOTR-themed fun!

EDIT: OMG. I started reading Kharkov's post and thought it was something I wrote. I nearly fainted, I wanst sure if someone logged in as me! Glad to see someone else likes this avatar.

Leave a comment:

• traygreen
    replied
    Originally posted by KG_Kharkov View Post
    If your friends have no wargame experience whatsoever, start simple with one of the Axis and Allies games. Great fun if you have an afternoon and a few beers handy!
    Ditto on this. The most important thing is that everyone enjoy the games. With this hobby there are so many offerings that you can usually find something that will work for nearly everyone. BoardGameGeek is a great site for finding feedback on board/tabletop games while other sites are dedicated to more complex games....

HAVE FUN!

Leave a comment:

• rsjrev
    replied
    Originally posted by KG_Kharkov View Post
    If your friends have no wargame experience whatsoever, start simple with one of the Axis and Allies games. Great fun if you have an afternoon and a few beers handy!

Memoir 44 is also a great game that is designed for 2 players but can accomodate 3. Plus it is a quick game to play so sitting out a game and just spectating isn't too bad either.

If they've played basic wargames, I would try Lock N Load's "Band of Heroes". Similar to ASL but more simple, it is a gorgeous game that will immediately attract folks b/c of the eyecandy and the scenarios are easily playable by 3 people (you simply split up the units of one side and place them under the command of the two different players). We've recently used "Band of Heroes" as the introductory boardgame for our group of PC grognards who play Combat Mission. As a lifelong ASL player, I love boardgames but thought LNL's system would be easier for newbies to pick up and enjoy, which they really have!

These are excellent recommendations. The only issue with A&A is the length of the game. Memoir44 is better for that reason.

If a WW2 setting is not required, Battlelore would be a better choice, IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• KG_Kharkov
    replied

Memoir 44 is also a great game that is designed for 2 players but can accomodate 3. Plus it is a quick game to play so sitting out a game and just spectating isn't too bad either.

If they've played basic wargames, I would try Lock N Load's "Band of Heroes". Similar to ASL but more simple, it is a gorgeous game that will immediately attract folks b/c of the eyecandy and the scenarios are easily playable by 3 people (you simply split up the units of one side and place them under the command of the two different players). We've recently used "Band of Heroes" as the introductory boardgame for our group of PC grognards who play Combat Mission. As a lifelong ASL player, I love boardgames but thought LNL's system would be easier for newbies to pick up and enjoy, which they really have!

Leave a comment:

• traygreen
    replied
    If you're looking for board games a nice starter WWII game would be something like COmbat Commander from GMT games. While it will not meet your three player requirement it is a nice gateway game with a bit more completity than Axis & Allies but less than Advanced Squad Leader.

For three players and a bit more complexity, GMT's Wellington or Flying Colors (Age of Sail) are nice. I use them both to introduce players to historical gaiming. Both are quickly learned but have a bit of meat under the hood.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X