Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Tabletop Strategy game should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taranis hit the nail on the head for what you specified. I own two copies of Battlelore (required for the free Epic Rules expansion), but one copy can take you a long way with the forthcoming expansions. It can be played with 2 or more players, 2-vs-1 in your case, but this can be very fun and challenging.

Battlelore is medieval/fantasy, you get lots of plastic miniatures, and all the game's components are top quality. The battles can be played in 1-2 hours, and can be conventional or magic-based engagements. There are even powerful creatures, such as a giant spider, earth elemental and hill giant... so far.

There is somewhat of an RPG aspect as well, in that you can have a certain number of points to allocate to a War Council, usually 6 points total. There are 4 different Battlelords (Rouge, Wizard, Cleric and Warrior), as well as one Commander, that you can assign these points to, which correlate to experience levels. Each point equals one level. You can build a war council anyway you wish, including any or all of these characters at various levels. This in turn gives you access to special abilities/powers to be used on the field of battle.

What truly makes Battlelore great, along with any other game from the Commands and Colors system, is that it is designed so that you can basically create any kind of battle you want. The terrain tiles can be laid out in any manner and fashion to create unlimited battlefields to play on, and you can mix and match units however it suits you. The unit mix includes archers, foot soldiers, cavalry, dwarves and goblins, plus the afore mentioned creatures.

Days of Wonder will be adding to the game over time via expansion packs (for more info see Memoir '44 for examples, also from DoW, another good choice, BTW). The Battlelore expansions will include new rules for bigger games (Epic Rules), as well as new unit packs and new creatures. The best part about this is that we aren't talking about a "collectable" game here. You don't have to buy everything to have fun with this game system, only those things you want.

A&A minis and similar fair are collectable (more rare units = winner), in the same way Magic the Gathering is collectable ...*shudder*... and I would not recommend it for that reason alone. I will say that it looks interesting, but I grew tired of keeping up with the Jones's long ago.
    "Violence... the supreme authority from which all other authority is derived." - Mr. Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Cantata View Post
      I own two copies of Battlelore (required for the free Epic Rules expansion), but one copy can take you a long way with the forthcoming expansions. It can be played with 2 or more players, 2-vs-1 in your case, but this can be very fun and challenging.
      I believe after the epic rules are released (free PDF) that DoW is planing on selling a bundle that includes a game board, extra lore tokens and a paper version of the epic rules. I haven't seen anything about price yet but I can't image that it will be very expansive.

EDIT: This is from the Battlore Blog: http://blog.battlelore.com/en/
      All that is required to play these first Epic adventures is a second board, some additional Lore tokens and a friend to play with.

This expansion will initially be released Online, free of charge, to all registered users of the game, sometime during the month of March.

A paper-based version that includes a 2nd game board and some additional Lore tokens, along with more new Epic adventures, will follow in May, and be available at retail as well as on our web site.
      Last edited by Taranis; 07 Mar 07, 21:34.
      "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
      - General George S. Patton, Jr

Comment

If you're looking for board games a nice starter WWII game would be something like COmbat Commander from GMT games. While it will not meet your three player requirement it is a nice gateway game with a bit more completity than Axis & Allies but less than Advanced Squad Leader.

For three players and a bit more complexity, GMT's Wellington or Flying Colors (Age of Sail) are nice. I use them both to introduce players to historical gaiming. Both are quickly learned but have a bit of meat under the hood.
        Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Battlefield Tours for Wargamers
        Normandy 2007
        ACW Border Wars 2008
        Bulge 2008

Comment

If your friends have no wargame experience whatsoever, start simple with one of the Axis and Allies games. Great fun if you have an afternoon and a few beers handy!

Memoir 44 is also a great game that is designed for 2 players but can accomodate 3. Plus it is a quick game to play so sitting out a game and just spectating isn't too bad either.

If they've played basic wargames, I would try Lock N Load's "Band of Heroes". Similar to ASL but more simple, it is a gorgeous game that will immediately attract folks b/c of the eyecandy and the scenarios are easily playable by 3 people (you simply split up the units of one side and place them under the command of the two different players). We've recently used "Band of Heroes" as the introductory boardgame for our group of PC grognards who play Combat Mission. As a lifelong ASL player, I love boardgames but thought LNL's system would be easier for newbies to pick up and enjoy, which they really have!

Comment

Originally posted by KG_Kharkov View Post
            If your friends have no wargame experience whatsoever, start simple with one of the Axis and Allies games. Great fun if you have an afternoon and a few beers handy!

Memoir 44 is also a great game that is designed for 2 players but can accomodate 3. Plus it is a quick game to play so sitting out a game and just spectating isn't too bad either.

If they've played basic wargames, I would try Lock N Load's "Band of Heroes". Similar to ASL but more simple, it is a gorgeous game that will immediately attract folks b/c of the eyecandy and the scenarios are easily playable by 3 people (you simply split up the units of one side and place them under the command of the two different players). We've recently used "Band of Heroes" as the introductory boardgame for our group of PC grognards who play Combat Mission. As a lifelong ASL player, I love boardgames but thought LNL's system would be easier for newbies to pick up and enjoy, which they really have!

These are excellent recommendations. The only issue with A&A is the length of the game. Memoir44 is better for that reason.

If a WW2 setting is not required, Battlelore would be a better choice, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by KG_Kharkov View Post
              Ditto on this. The most important thing is that everyone enjoy the games. With this hobby there are so many offerings that you can usually find something that will work for nearly everyone. BoardGameGeek is a great site for finding feedback on board/tabletop games while other sites are dedicated to more complex games....

HAVE FUN!
              Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Normandy 2007
              ACW Border Wars 2008
              Bulge 2008

Comment

Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom View Post
                Memoir '44 Excellent starter game, fast, fun, easy to learn, and gives you a nice base in strategy and the "Winds of War"

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/artic...&page=1&cat=59
                I hate Memoir '44. My friends hate it too. Its purely luck. Its mindless cards and dice rolling. I must advice aganist it, I get a "WWII styled Risk" feeling from it.

Axis and Allies takes more strategy. More of planning things out, logisitcs of when X units make it to the Eastern front, movements. Its all in planning. Yet it often does come down to dice rolls, but It still satisfies my strategic needs.

Heroscape. Ive played it and had fun. Yet Im tempted to buy Heroscape and a bunch of Lord of the Rings Tradeable Miniatures game figures. I find it to be a great game. The figures fit PERFECTLy, on the hex. You can set up some cool battles. Just google LOTR TMG, click the first site and then click the forums to find more information. Not much of it is left, but Im still sure it could bring some LOTR-themed fun!

EDIT: OMG. I started reading Kharkov's post and thought it was something I wrote. I nearly fainted, I wanst sure if someone logged in as me! Glad to see someone else likes this avatar.
                yeah!

Comment

I`ve been following this thread, and finally offer my own thoughts.

Reading all you say, it looks like Heroscape is actually the one for you, except for the fact the official rules are too nerdy and simple for you.

The figures themselves are quite enchanting, and utterly addictive to collect... and (perhaps more importantly) fairly easy to acquire, either in the shops/stores or on line.

As for the rules. I will happily send you my own creation (which is a core rules engine, and includes a 120 page Heroscape conversion supplement). I wrote this for personal use over the last few years, and don`t mind letting others enjoy as well.

As for Lord of the Rings Combat Hex, you may find it very hard to find most the figures any more, as the system is defunct. Games Workshop`s 30mm Strategy Battle range is ideal for the Heroscape terrain hexes. I also have a rules supplement for this.

Last edited by Six Sided Dice; 24 Apr 07, 04:28.

Comment

Ah well, I guess not then

*chuckles*

Comment

Check out FFG's new Tide of Iron, too - mini figs for the kids to play with, but a bit more tactical nuance than Memoir '44 for the grog. Cards influence play but don't dictate it.
                      Interview with the designer here: http://www.wargamer.com/articles/tideofiron_interview/
                      In the event of another forum meltdown, feel free to join us over at www.armchairdragoons.com

Comment

Tide of Iron

Originally posted by BayonetBrant View Post
                        Check out FFG's new Tide of Iron, too - mini figs for the kids to play with, but a bit more tactical nuance than Memoir '44 for the grog. Cards influence play but don't dictate it.
                        Interview with the designer here: http://www.wargamer.com/articles/tideofiron_interview/
                        Anyone playing this? Was toying with picking some up as a light game.
                        Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Normandy 2007
                        ACW Border Wars 2008
                        Bulge 2008

Comment

I don't think it's been released yet. At least no up here in Canada. I heard late May...
                          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankenstein View Post
                            I don't think it's been released yet. At least no up here in Canada. I heard late May...
                            My mistake. Just checked their web site and the ship date is June.
                            Tray Green

www.abandofgamers.com

Normandy 2007
                            ACW Border Wars 2008
                            Bulge 2008

Comment

How about trying this game

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/tideofiron.html

Comment

Originally posted by Six Sided Dice View Post
                                See the 3 posts directly above.
                                Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X