• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squad Leader

Can Squad Leader be talked about here?

Or will I be labelled a "heretic"?
    Kevin Kenneally
    Masters from a school of "hard knocks"
    Member of a Ph.D. Society (Post hole. Digger)

Originally posted by Kevin Kenneally View Post
    Can Squad Leader be talked about here?

Or will I be labelled a "heretic"?
    The old farts on the "other" forum have been mean with you Kev?

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
      The old farts on the "other" forum have been mean with you Kev?

Boonie,
      This game is a classic.

Where else can you "drink beer, and command warriors" to die......

Yeah baby, it has it's flaws, but who cares after the first six-pack.
      Kevin Kenneally

Comment

I played the original SL back in the days, can't tell you how much I replayed the famous Tractor Works scenario even bought the ASL binder but couldn't get myself into it, I'm definitely not the tactical type.

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
          I played the original SL back in the days, can't tell you how much I replayed the famous Tractor Works scenario even bought the ASL binder but couldn't get myself into it, I'm definitely not the tactical type.
          Tractor Works!!! What a scenario. Many a Sunday afternoon was spent playing that 25+ years ago.

Comment

Squad Leader = Coool!

ASL = Those ASL guys on the other side are a tough crowd!

Somewhere I have a box of Squad Leader Games...Cross of Iron, Crescendo of Doom and GI Anvil of Victory. I never played much; but I used to love to set up the boards and counters.
            Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorque View Post
              Tractor Works!!! What a scenario. Many a Sunday afternoon was spent playing that 25+ years ago.
              Hell, I was right down I-84 looking for an opponent 25 years ago!
              Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

I play ASL and am slowly getting my second copy of all the modules. I play with the new Vancouver ASL league. Into our second season now.

I played SL when if first came out. I still have the boards of course. I wish I knew what happened to the game. Ah well, there is ASLSK now for an light simple game. I play ASLSK by email with AHIKS.
                Last edited by Duncan; 14 Nov 06, 14:28.
                AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                  Hell, I was right down I-84 looking for an opponent 25 years ago!
                  I lucked out. I had the 2 Panzer Blitz games and the gentleman living in the apartment below mine became hooked after a few scenarios of that. One day he came home with Squad Leader and the rest was history

I also had the good fortune to play Avalon Hill's Civilization with him. Now my 2 grown sons have commandeered this game and play it better than I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorque View Post
                    I lucked out. I had the 2 Panzer Blitz games and the gentleman living in the apartment below mine became hooked after a few scenarios of that. One day he came home with Squad Leader and the rest was history

I also had the good fortune to play Avalon Hill's Civilization with him. Now my 2 grown sons have commandeered this game and play it better than I do.
                    Cool!

I think I managed to play one scenario against a real opponent in Squad Leader.

I did manage to play a lot of AH's Panzer Leader, Luftwaffe and Tobruk against a couple of buddies in college.

Comment

Truly enjoyed playing SL. Got enough counters and map boards to place an entire Russian Infantry Division, Tank Brigade and Rocket Battery against an entire German Infantry Division and Armored Kampgruppe...

Yeah, over 100 map boards as well.. Mapboard 1 x 10 copies... Really bloody fighting then.
                      Kevin Kenneally

Comment

Back in about 1985, I set up all of the boards from SL and three gametes on the living room floor of my apartment. Then I set up something close to a US armored infantry battalion and simulated a parachute drop. It filled up a good chunk of my living room...I must have been out of beer......Then I packed it all up. I think the games are all in a box in a storage unit.

Comment

I still have the orange box edition on the shelf, along with Panzer Leader and Panzer Blitz. I started in the early 80's with SL and then moved on to ASL. I still have all the SL counters plus the additional modules in a freezer bag. As for ASL, I played until I lost my only FTF opponent while I was in Germany. I still have modules 1-10, all the map boards, and the counters. One of these days I'll dig them out and play again. It's going to be fun sorting out all the counters since they're all mixed together in a freezer bag...

Doc, I'll agree that just setting up was half the fun. I use to set up massive battles on my parent's pool table.
                          If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

I think I still have most of 3 SL, 3 COI and 2 CoD games. I know some of the counters have been lost over time. Once ASL came out I pretty much retired the SL stuff. I will probably sell it one day. That will probably be when my wife nags me enough so I finally get rid of it.
                            "The will of God prevails. In great contests each party claims to act in accordance with the will of God. Both may be, and one must be, wrong. God cannot be for and against the same thing at the same time." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Squad leader was one of my favorite games. I guess I was luckier than most people as knew 7 people who could play it. 3 could play fairly well, 2 were really good , however back then I seemed to alienate alot of people while playing because I could often influence the die rolls. ESP you know.

Sadly my copies got wasted by Hurricancane Katrina while one of my old friends had borrowed them.

I particularly liked just squad leader with the cross of iron expansion, after that the rules got too complicated. The best scenarios were Hiil 621, Hedge- Hog of Pripesk, The Bitche Salient, and Souchows(Sp?) 79, oh yea PAW OF THE TIGER!

Truely a great game, have to buy it again sometime , lots of $$$ nowadays to get I'm sure.

Regards, Christopher Perrien
                              Last edited by ChristopherPerr; 03 Dec 06, 11:16.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X