Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flames of War

http://www.battlefront.co.nz/Default.asp

Wondering if this is a good system... The models are kinda cool in that you buy entire platoons and Companies and its seems to be cheaper than the 1/72 metal and resin Brittanias I used to buy.... (These aren't cheap but they are metal and resin models...)

But is the game system good? Does it play more towards tactical or too much large strategy?
    The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Looks pretty cool, but some of the prices are quite amazing (in a good and bad way).

The tanks are really cheap (compared to, say, Warhammer 40,000), but because the infantry units are all pewter (it looks like), some are very expensive ($40+).

The game system looks pretty cool and simple, a nice d6 system (i think), and they have some free stuff on the web site there.

The only problem is this: being a NZ company, and a smaller wargaming company, it would be harder to find people to play against (and I would never fly to New Zealand just to play in a tournament!).

But it does look cool.

I'll build a russian penal-division!

Comment

I've played a few rounds of it. Easy to play, and it is picking up a better following. If you belong to a club in your local area try introducing it there. It's especially suited for novice gamers and first timers.
      Welcome to the adult world. Kinda sucks when you have to be the responsible ones and take all the pot shots from the chagrined lefties and mongoloid celebrities, who don't know their collective posteriors from sound economic policy. - 98ZJUSMC

Comment

Looked rule intensive to me... The local store that carries them has a club allready... Heck doubt I could find too many Marines that would be interested in gaming around here..... Even though I know Camp Pendleton has a wargaming club but I haven't found out when and where they meet.....

I love the illustrations on their manual covers though!
        The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Comment

Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom View Post
          [url]
          But is the game system good? Does it play more towards tactical or too much large strategy?
          I've played 20 or 30 games and have collected enough units to field a German Panzer Company, a PzGr Company and a British Rifle Company. I intentionally bought enough to play 2 sides so that I would have less trouble finding players. In terms of cost, I suppose I've spent about $600 (US) for everything (rules, units, paints, terrain, blah, blah, blah)

They have boxed sets (and infantry heavy companies are cheaper than armored companies), that give you enough to field a 2 platoon company for about $50. But that's strictly infantry, no tanks, artillery, etc. An army box (combined arms company) runs about $200. The manual is $50 for the core rules set, and then you have to buy additional manuals covering the specific army you are fielding. Some of them are grouped together in a single manual by period (early, middle and late war). E.g. They have just released "Festung Europa" which covers all of the combatants for the late war period. In any event, you'll spend $100 on rulebooks. The v1 rulebooks were pretty flimsy. The new ones are *much* better and extremely well written. I don't feel ripped off by spending $50 for the core rule set. The models themselves are very well done.

The game is definitely tactical, in that you are essentially fighting at the company level. The game forces a very historical company configuration, so you can't just throw some units together, if you want to play by the rules. This helps prevent people from fielding "uber" companies (of, let's say Ferdinands) that lose all historical relevance. Of course, if all you want to do is have a couple platoons fight each other there's nothing to stop you. I've actually learned more about WW II unit organization playing this game than I thought possible. From what I can gather from the forums and whatnot, the research is top notch. The do have all kinds of scenarios and campaign games in the core rules if you want to mix things up a bit.

I have only played "light" miniature games like Warhammer (only sparingly) or DnD minis, so I'm not sure how this stacks up against other miniature games. I do know that a lot of the details are abstracted, but that makes the game fun for me. I really don't want to have to consult a lot of charts when I play wargames. So ammunition is essentially unlimited, there is no "formal" overwatch, and ballistics are essentially limited to comparing penetration values to armor. Nothing fancy. The air support rules are bolted on and artillery is represented by actual models on the table, which is a little silly given the scale that you are operating at. The game designer was willing to sacrifice some realism if it made the game more fun. In general, I like his approach.

In concept, the game is very simple. You build an army based on a set number of points, throw some terrain down on a table and have at it. Each turn you move, shoot and then optionally assault. Then the next player takes their turn. Everything is done by platoon and all combat is resolved by rolling some number of 6-sided dice. All you have to do is remember when to add or subtract from the die roll depending on circumstances. Simple, eh? Unfortunately, there are often a lot of circumstances that modify die rolls and that's where the game can get a little nettlesome. But it's not hard, you just have a tendency to forget things. ("Oh no, remember that team you killed last turn? It was dug in so I was supposed to get an additional save when you shot me! Rats!") One interesting element of the game concerns how hard it is to hit the enemy. You actually start the "to-hit" calculation based on the TARGETS' training level. Experienced troops are harder to hit than conscripts. While intuitive, I think that's pretty unusual and it makes combat pretty interesting. (Germans are hard to hit!)

It's a fun game.

Tim
          "I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. I just kiss. I don't even wait. You can do anything... Grab them by the [redacted]. You can do anything."
          -The President of the United States of America.

Comment

Company level is something I like! It does sound like fun but I've just invested time and money in beginning my 40k army based off of my Squadron's "Mascot" The Black Knight... Pics to follow once I finish the last two test models...

Comment

Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom View Post
              Company level is something I like! It does sound like fun but I've just invested time and money in beginning my 40k army based off of my Squadron's "Mascot" The Black Knight... Pics to follow once I finish the last two test models...
              Hey Barcelona,

If you're location is *really* MCAS Miramar, you live about 15 minutes from me.

Wanna play some Flames of War at Game Empire? I'd even let you play the cheesy Germans.

Tim
              "I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. I just kiss. I don't even wait. You can do anything... Grab them by the [redacted]. You can do anything."
              -The President of the United States of America.

Comment

Yes I'm actually "aboard" Miramar.... In the barracks... rotting my life away...

Sure... that sounds cool... But my roommate went home for the weekend (Temecula) so I lost my net access... But we have our B-day ball 96 coming up this weekend...

I'm totally up for it...

Comment

I play Flames of War. I love it. Well, Ive been hordeing oney and my coffers are expanding and I dont have to many minis. I play Russian Conscripted Strelkovy.
                  Russian Infantry.

I like the game alot, it is pretty simple too. The only down side to it, is that it is expensive. There are also no big uber super power gamer lists either. Its pretty balanced. Except Russians are a bit harder then the others, but if used right Ive been unstopable.
                  Last edited by maian; 01 Dec 06, 16:40.
                  yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by armor11 View Post
                    I've played 20 or 30 games and have collected enough units to field a German Panzer Company, a PzGr Company and a British Rifle Company. I intentionally bought enough to play 2 sides so that I would have less trouble finding players. In terms of cost, I suppose I've spent about $600 (US) for everything (rules, units, paints, terrain, blah, blah, blah)

They have boxed sets (and infantry heavy companies are cheaper than armored companies), that give you enough to field a 2 platoon company for about $50. But that's strictly infantry, no tanks, artillery, etc. An army box (combined arms company) runs about $200. The manual is $50 for the core rules set, and then you have to buy additional manuals covering the specific army you are fielding. Some of them are grouped together in a single manual by period (early, middle and late war). E.g. They have just released "Festung Europa" which covers all of the combatants for the late war period. In any event, you'll spend $100 on rulebooks. The v1 rulebooks were pretty flimsy. The new ones are *much* better and extremely well written. I don't feel ripped off by spending $50 for the core rule set. The models themselves are very well done.

The game is definitely tactical, in that you are essentially fighting at the company level. The game forces a very historical company configuration, so you can't just throw some units together, if you want to play by the rules. This helps prevent people from fielding "uber" companies (of, let's say Ferdinands) that lose all historical relevance. Of course, if all you want to do is have a couple platoons fight each other there's nothing to stop you. I've actually learned more about WW II unit organization playing this game than I thought possible. From what I can gather from the forums and whatnot, the research is top notch. The do have all kinds of scenarios and campaign games in the core rules if you want to mix things up a bit.

I have only played "light" miniature games like Warhammer (only sparingly) or DnD minis, so I'm not sure how this stacks up against other miniature games. I do know that a lot of the details are abstracted, but that makes the game fun for me. I really don't want to have to consult a lot of charts when I play wargames. So ammunition is essentially unlimited, there is no "formal" overwatch, and ballistics are essentially limited to comparing penetration values to armor. Nothing fancy. The air support rules are bolted on and artillery is represented by actual models on the table, which is a little silly given the scale that you are operating at. The game designer was willing to sacrifice some realism if it made the game more fun. In general, I like his approach.

In concept, the game is very simple. You build an army based on a set number of points, throw some terrain down on a table and have at it. Each turn you move, shoot and then optionally assault. Then the next player takes their turn. Everything is done by platoon and all combat is resolved by rolling some number of 6-sided dice. All you have to do is remember when to add or subtract from the die roll depending on circumstances. Simple, eh? Unfortunately, there are often a lot of circumstances that modify die rolls and that's where the game can get a little nettlesome. But it's not hard, you just have a tendency to forget things. ("Oh no, remember that team you killed last turn? It was dug in so I was supposed to get an additional save when you shot me! Rats!") One interesting element of the game concerns how hard it is to hit the enemy. You actually start the "to-hit" calculation based on the TARGETS' training level. Experienced troops are harder to hit than conscripts. While intuitive, I think that's pretty unusual and it makes combat pretty interesting. (Germans are hard to hit!)

It's a fun game.

Tim
                    I dont think it was unusal. I remember reading some storesi of airborne people and what not. They said it was harder to shoot at SS men attacking them while they were fighting in this one town. They took cover better then the regular Wehrmacht. Although the game does not have any training changes between wehr and SS, its just cause the games simpler.

Russians running across a field, conscripted ones will not be to sure what is going on or what they are doing. German soldiers, who have better training and are veterns of battles before know whats going on. They get good at doing little things to take cover and be better when chargeing across the field. Im just using field chargeing as an example since its basic and has like no modifiers, for the modifiers are the units level of training.

I would think that training should effcect their aiming, yet it doesnt. So units have the same aiming ability, just some are easier to hit then others. Which is why its a tad bit strange, just a tad.
                    yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by daemonofdecay View Post
                      Looks pretty cool, but some of the prices are quite amazing (in a good and bad way).

The tanks are really cheap (compared to, say, Warhammer 40,000), but because the infantry units are all pewter (it looks like), some are very expensive ($40+).

The game system looks pretty cool and simple, a nice d6 system (i think), and they have some free stuff on the web site there.

The only problem is this: being a NZ company, and a smaller wargaming company, it would be harder to find people to play against (and I would never fly to New Zealand just to play in a tournament!).

But it does look cool.

I'll build a russian penal-division!
                      $400+ for all the dame Russians and supplies I need!
                      yeah!

Comment

Will the core rule book tell me what other books/minis I should purchase?

Comment

Originally posted by StRyan1868 View Post
                          TRDG might be able to help you out.
                          AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                          The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Originally posted by StRyan1868 View Post

Hi Ryan

The core rule book will show you how to play Flames of War (FoW), not the specific Companies you can buy to do so.
                            Those are broken down in specific books, there is Early-War (just starting out), Mid-War and Late-War time periods.

Then you have specific fronts as well for books, so what would you like to field as to Nation, time period and place?

So in FoW you have

Early-War

-Blitzkrieg - Invasion of Poland/France (lists for Polish/British and German Companies)

Mid-War

-North Africa - 1942-43 (lists for German/US/German/Italian Companies)

-Eastern Front - (Lists for German/Russian and minor nation Companies)

Late-War

-Fortress Europe - List for general German/ US / Russian / British "generic" Companies

Battle books (specific campaigns)

-Dogs and devils - Italian invasion, breakout at Anzio

-Turning Tide - Compilation book of Allied forces from June through Sep 1944, think D-Day here and on...
                            *Comped from D-Minus1, Bloody Omaha, Montys Meatgrinder, Villers Bocade and Cobra, (older battle books)

-Earth and Steel - Comp for the German Company lists from D-Day and on.
                            *from the same older battle books from above

-Hells Highway
                            -A Bridge to Far
                            *2 books for Market Garden

-Stalin's Onslaught
                            -Hammer and Sickle
                            -River of Heroes
                            * books on the Eastern front Bagration campaign for Russian and German Companies

-Stalins Europe- Russian and German forces after Bagration through feb of 1945.

Cheers, so if you want the most bang for your $ and you like a lot of gear/units/companies to pick from al in one book I would suggest Fortress Europe to start with.
                            There are other 15mm miniature places to get most of the miniatures besides FoW, but they are very nice though expensive as you have probably seen.

Also I would check out their site as well http://www.flamesof war.com/
                            Lots of great articles, posts and pics there, to say the least!!

Hope that hepls ya out

Tom
                            Last edited by TRDG; 25 Apr 11, 06:28.

Comment

Thanks for the info, just a little confused on what all I would need as far as books go. I have been interested in FoW for a while, guess i have talked myself into playing it finally.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X