Computer Wargames?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Wargames?

Ok is it just me or do you guys dislike computer wargames. So what if its easier to play, tons of oppenets, and looks good. But I still perfer good old table top games over CPU
    Last edited by panzerkampfwage; 18 Sep 06, 19:26.

Err...not sure what you're talking about, what's your point exactly? We have a section on the forum dedicated sollely to turn-based strategy games here: http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...play.php?f=235

Comment

Originally posted by panzerkampfwage
      Ok is it just me or do you guys dislike computer wargames. So what if its easier to play, tons of oppenets, and looks good.
      You dont get to see who your talking to on CPU or dont even talk that much, for All you know he could be a perv trying to screw 13year old kids. I just cant stand CPU wargames they are a whole different experience
      When you live in the middle of nowhere and have no opponents locally, computer wargames are the way to go. I am playing a game of Combat Mission right now that has me desperately checking email all day to see if a new turn has come in, with accompanying taunts from my opponent. Incredibly tense action - as good as anything I've played face to face in a boardgame.

I also play a tactical "wargame" called Battlefield 2, which is a First Person Shooter type game where you work as a squad to destroy the enemy. It is moderately high on the realism scale, but not totally. It is all fun though...and using headsets I can talk in real time with my squad mates - just as much chatter as if we were all in the same room.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy boardgames immensely, but to categorically reject the whole genre of computer wargames is doing yourself a disservice. Maybe you've just had the wrong opponents?
      Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

I'd echo SH's comments really. Online gaming can be a little impersonal at times but the right opponents can make the whole experience very rewarding. The chance to chat/exchange emails with people from different parts of the World and sometimes very different cultures is something you can't get with tabletop or board wargaming. As with all online activities there's always a chance you'll find yourself in contact with some very nasty individuals but visiting respected and trusted websites can help you avoid such types.
        Signing out.

Comment

Well I like BF:2 but I do live in the middle of nowhere with noone to play with (Ive been playing myself in Axis and Allies and Axis and Allies mini's) Ive rarely played anyone in real life but , Codename: Panzers was OK but not very realisic, like most CPU games I play. I sort of like Panzer General for Playstation but its getting boring.

Comment

A computer is a tool, once you master this reality how to use it is a lot easier.

Not everyone has a gaming room, setting up a board game, no matter how badly you want to, might not be possible.

Presto, a computer is a hobbyroom on your desk.

Not everyone likes leaving them set up for long spans of time.

Presto, no dust issue with computers.

With stuff like VASSAL, you can still actually be playing a board game, but with another person god only knows where.

Older board games usually have design elements that are nice, and well liked.
            Computer games are not better, they are just different. It's all in what you need that counts.
            Life is change. Built models for decades.
            Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
            I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by panzerkampfwage
              Well I like BF:2 but I do live in the middle of nowhere with noone to play with (Ive been playing myself in Axis and Allies and Axis and Allies mini's) Ive rarely played anyone in real life but , Codename: Panzers was OK but not very realisic, like most CPU games I play. I sort of like Panzer General for Playstation but its getting boring.
              That kind of explains a lot. Head over to www.strategyzoneonline.com and see what computer wargames various little communities are playing. You may find that none of the games really appeal (although I'd be surprised if so) but at least you'll get an idea of what kind of people play wargames online.

Incidentally, although I wouldn't say they're bad games, none of the above are 'wargames' in the sense that's understood over at the SZO site. Might be a bit of an eye-opener for you.
              Signing out.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X