Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on Civil War games by Avalanche Press

Guys,

Anyone here own/play either Gettysburg: 1863 or Chattanooga and Chicamauga?

What are your opinions on game play? Rules easy to understand? How does the game play solo?

Please refrain from comments about Avalanche, its representatives, its owners ... just need the scoop on the game, itself, as I am planning a purchase from a third party.

Thanks,
    Brien
    Brien
    "Better living through gaming"

AP War of the States opinions

Originally posted by Brien Martin
    Guys,

Anyone here own/play either Gettysburg: 1863 or Chattanooga and Chicamauga?

What are your opinions on game play? Rules easy to understand? How does the game play solo?
    I own both games. I was trying to convince my brother to play Gettysburg last weekend, but alas, we ran out of time. As of yet, I haven't been able to bring them to the table. I think the rules look very interesting. One subtle point is the victory conditions. Because you have to take no more than 15 points of losses while inflicting 25+ losses, you can't afford an even-up fight; you'll need to manuver to bring superior firepower to play, exploit flank attacks where the enemy can't respond as effectively.

The games should play pretty well solo. Because you have random activations, you won't always be able to predict when you or the enemy will be able to activate one or more of your corps.

I think the rules are easy enough to understand, but they aren't always well organized. The best place to start is probably the "Learn to Play in 5 Minutes" summary on Avalanche Press's site. If you have trouble, I've developed 3 page play summary. Eventually, I'll post it to BoardgameGeek.com when I'm satisfied that I haven't made any terrible mistakes. If you want it in the meantime, send me main and I'll send you a copy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
    X