Risk the best boardgame in history!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Risk the best boardgame in history!

Anyone else share my passion. I have a link for a great site that does online risk. Would I be allowed to post it or is that classfied spamming ?

Also if you wanna discuss any kind of risk do so here.
    He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat.
    --Napoleon Bonaparte

Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets. --Napoleon Bonaparte

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. --Douglas MacArthur

Post your link! I don't see a problem with that.

I love Risk, I have several versions of the board game here, and at least two PC versions. Check this thread for a recent AAR following a game I played with the rest of the Admin' staff.

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

While I love the game, and think Lord of the Rings Risk and Risk 2210 might be among the two best board games for non hard core wargamers ever made, I would'nt go so far as to call it the best boardgame in history

No, that would have to be Squad Leader/Advanced Squad Leader.

Why?

Because, a copy of Risk will never be worth more on eBay, and used, the game immediately becomes worth less than half price.

Meanwhile, my ASL collection has made it possible for me to ignore needing funeral coverage When I die, the wife can sell it on ebay, have enough to cover the costs, and maybe even have enough left over to celebrate
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

I know when I'm thinking about a board game, I'm concerned with how it will perform when I trade it in.
        “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Sorry guys, but I hate Risk. I have never liked it and will probably never play it again. My wife, however, likes it. It's the only wargame she plays. I am expanding her horizons into other games to try and get her away from that monstrosity.
          "The will of God prevails. In great contests each party claims to act in accordance with the will of God. Both may be, and one must be, wrong. God cannot be for and against the same thing at the same time." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Beware this sight will blow your mind away.

http://www.conquerclub.com/publicspace.php?page=home"[/URL]

ANd this site for your lotrr needs 8)

http://lordoftheringsrisk.com/phpBB2/index.php

P.s. My name on both sites is Ham if anyone wants to contact me !!!
            Last edited by TheGrandArmee; 29 Jul 06, 22:27.
            --Napoleon Bonaparte

Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets. --Napoleon Bonaparte

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. --Douglas MacArthur

Comment

I "hate" risk 2210... you get that nice sizable invasion force.... just to have it "nuked" away by desolation when they randomize it.... Sniff Sniff....

Naw 2210 is probably one of the best versions I've played beside the original, and going to the moon is ingenious!
              The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

What I like about LotR and 2210 Risk, is the games are intentionally designed to not last foooooooooooooooooooorever.

Plus, there's no cowardly hidy holes to crouch in like Australia in the basic original version.

In both the new ones I mentioned, you can do your best, but there's always a chance a surprise winner will emerge.
                It's this element that will appeal to the non hard core wargamer, because, they will know, there's no elitist element, everyone CAN have a chance at winning.

After playing LotR and 2210 versions, I now utterly refuse to play the original. It's too dull, predictable and takes more hours to play than there are in a day.
                Life is change. Built models for decades.
                Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

We bought the New Star Wars version.... Its set around factions and I guess playing the republic is really hard because the Bad Guys can eventually have Order 66 take effect and then change the balance of power in the game, making the Republic have to think their moves... The game max is 4 players, but two play the Republic armies and two play the Seperatists.
                  The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

That Risk link is actually pretty cool. Ya'll should try it!

Comment

Any of ya'll want to try playing a game?

Comment

Risk might be the best game.

Originally posted by TheGrandArmee
                        Anyone else share my passion. I have a link for a great site that does online risk.
                        Also if you wanna discuss any kind of risk do so here.
                        OK.
                        That might be risky.
                        If not, I'd put it in the top five.
                        I think we have had discusions before about Risk and they have always been fun.
                        • I like classical Risk, with a slow increase in the value of the armies.
                        • I always go for Australia first, than Africa.
                        • I think this is why I lose most of the time to people over the age of seven.
                        • We had some members explain some really good strategies .
                        • Risk is a nice party game.
                        • Most people can play Monopoly, Candyland and Risk.
                        • The computer game of Risk is cool too.
                        Do you think this version would be fun?
                        "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Slug as a self proclaimed Expert on Lord of the rings risk. I would advise you to get the trilogy version. Its much bigger and improves upon everything the other smaller mapped one has. I beleive thats the trilogy version folded over in half.
                          On second thought I cant tell which that is so just get the one that says trilogy on it.

Just pm Ham and we can play a game anytime Larkin.
                          Last edited by TheGrandArmee; 02 Aug 06, 22:50.
                          --Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

I enjoy risk. Yet I prefer Axis and Allies to it. I bit more strategy. Yet all always be up for a game of that.

No real war gaming going on besdies an occasional game like risk, aa, memoir and the ancient version.

I dont like playing a game like risk or risk god storm to much because its just so random and luck filled. I cant ever seem to win in god storm when its me vs 2 other kids who are best friends. I end up getting a crap spot with them near by. With back stabbing encouraged its just pointless. I cant find anyone else willing to play that version, and for that Im glad.
                            yeah!

Comment

if i were to go out and buy a risk board...

all ive ever played is the original. and after about 2 months of serious sessions with my buddies we got to the point where we would spend about an hour or two going through the first half a dozen rounds and then quit because we already knew who would win (unfortunately we never played with anyone new who could match our intensity for strategic planning/execution).

my big peeve with risk (orig) is the randomness. there should be some sort of modifier to make those lopsided battles more realistic. "well, look at that. i just made 10 die rolls under 3. looks like my 5 divisions just got routed by a few companies of supermen".

SO, which risk system should i go out and buy??? Slug, good point regarding the simplicity of the orig. it is a boon and a bane. but what is going to give me more of an axis & allies feel while keeping the play simple enough that your average person can still get into it. ie. still be a decent party game.

hahaha, near the end of our expierience with risk i remember we would spend the first part of the game on strategic movement and build-up... the only engagements were small skirmishes in unimportant locales. as soon as it came to the crunch we would stop... determine the possible outcomes, including the player favoured to win. then we would do the battles and argue about the fairness of the outcomes... when we started determining winners after the initial placements we decided it was time to find a game that would give us a little more variety in our use of strategy. which is when we settled on Civilization: The Board Game. Civilization is not a party game though and although the premise and goal is simple enough for people like us, the "point" of the game can be totally unattainable to certain folk (we have had some interesting guest players).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X