Chess or Go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess or Go?

It is known for a long while that Chess is one of the ultimate (if not THE ultimate) wargames in history and most good strategists and commanders are also good chess players.

But while the same thing also goes to the Far East, they have a diffrent game there. Go. While Go uses a diffrent concept then Chess, it is also considered one of the ultimate wargames in history. In aincent times, any good general had to be a good Go player.

So we have two games that make good commanders. The question is....which one makes better commanders?
    Chess
    57.14%
    Go
    14.29%
    Neither (please state which)
    7.14%
    They are equal
    21.43%
    "Beneath its gilded beauty, though, there lies a poorly designed game which rewards the greedy and violent, and punishes the hardworking and honest; and if you think about it, that's a good representation of capitalism" - Nightfreeze about Eve Online

I play both, although I haven't played Go for many years. Opponents are more difficult to find than for chess. They are different. One is not superior. Go teaches strategy. Chess is TACTICS TACTICS TACTICS (that's from my reading on chess - not me). I voted chess simply because it is more accessable.
    AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
    The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

I never found someone to play Go, I always curious to give it a try...
      “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Originally posted by Overseer
        I played in university, 20+ years ago, with two or three guys. I also practiced Judo and there were some players there. Really hard to find anyone now. We do have chess clubs around though.
        AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
        The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Overseer

You can play it online if you like. All different levels are catered for IIRC.

I think Go is a brilliant game and far more interesting than Chess, though that too is a great game.
          http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Go has better handicapping so you can play with people of different skill levels, better scaling so you can play a 20 minute game or a 2 hour one, and (in my opinion) Go is less 'tricky'.

When I play chess, I always end up making a bad move because I did not see that some piece on the other end of the board could zip in if I moved a certain way. In Go I find it much easier to detect the tactical threats, though strategic threats are a different story.

If you think that Go does not have tactics, play on a 9x9 board. At that size, there is not room for strategy. It's a tactical fight for every open space.
            Mike DeSanto
            www.enter.net/~mdesanto

A Human never stands so tall,
            as when stooping to help a small
            computer. - Infocom motto

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X