Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Death

Has anyone played this game?

I am doing research about the battle in/around Velikiye Luki, and this game has appeared as links.

Could ANYONE give their opinion of this if they HAVE seen people play it.

Thanks in advance.
    Kevin Kenneally
    Masters from a school of "hard knocks"
    Member of a Ph.D. Society (Post hole. Digger)

Velikie Luki

Hello Kevin,
    I think White Death has an interesting game system that depicts how the various elements of artillery, infantry, and armor interact.

As far as research for the game goes , the OB is well researched on the German side but I feel is a little lacking on the Russian side by today's standards. But the game was designed in 1979 so there wasn't much glasnost happening. The Russian OB was derived from what the German intel knew was coming at them and is actually good from that perspective.

Comment

Hey Kevin. If you have any version of Eastern Front they have an interesting text document lodged in the install directory that talks about VL and how it was a scene of much trench warfare reminiscent of WWI. Also I believe a good chunk of it is the reports the Red Army had done up on the battle.
      The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

I ahve a copy of White Death but I ahvn't played it in over 20 years. From what i rememebr it is a pretty neat game with a unique system. GDW also did a game on the 73 War called Across the Suez using this system.

if you are interest in this Velkie Luki battle, I suggest getting the game.

Critical Hit! also published a game on this battle by Dirk Blenneman that uses his impluse and chit tactical system. I can't remember the name for some reason even though I have a copy somewhere.
        Blackcloud6

Refighting World War II - One hex at a time!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcloud6 View Post
          I ahve a copy of White Death but I ahvn't played it in over 20 years. From what i rememebr it is a pretty neat game with a unique system. GDW also did a game on the 73 War called Across the Suez using this system.

if you are interest in this Velkie Luki battle, I suggest getting the game.

Critical Hit! also published a game on this battle by Dirk Blenneman that uses his impluse and chit tactical system. I can't remember the name for some reason even though I have a copy somewhere.
          Fred,
          I found White Death by accident today and purchased it for $5. Very informative OoB for the area and this will help me out with what I plan on doing.

Thanks for the recommendation.
          Kevin Kenneally
          Masters from a school of "hard knocks"
          Member of a Ph.D. Society (Post hole. Digger)

Comment

Glad I could help.

Someday I gotta sit down and play this game. It is pretty good.
            Blackcloud6

Refighting World War II - One hex at a time!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X