Looking for a new minatures game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a new minatures game

I need help. I'm losing my interest in Warhammer 40,000, mainly because of the rising prices. I like the idea that there is so much fiction backing it up, but I would like more detail and more reality. I would prefer a modernish wargame that allows you to build up an army based on what you want in it. Also, if there is a large community for the wargame, that would be a big help. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Axis and Allies miniatures. Or, Flames of War. I think FoW is interesting and might start. I currently play Axis and Allies miniatures. For history go with FoW. It is bought like warhammer and you must paint them. But AAM is collectable and not as historical but easier and quicker to set up and still fun. I personally go with AAM because its cheaper to start and easy + great theme. I will have to admit AAM is not that big. Not big tournaments but there are active people who play it. I find people to play and play with friends and some tournaments are forming but its not that big. Then again I see the same amount of players playing WarHammer as AAM only warhammer people dont show up on random days at my game store wanting to play like the AAM players have been doing . The forum is really active. You can make a post and get a reply withing 10 mins even less. I dont know about FoW's popularity.
    Last edited by maian; 17 Jan 06, 21:46.
    yeah!

Comment

FOW is a good start

I agree with the above. One other point is that the FOW game mechanics will be somewhat familar to you. Reason being, I've read that their roots lie with the Warhammer family of games.

Looks like were droppin in on all sides of Rommel there All-American!:flag:

Comment

Originally posted by Larkin
        I need help. I'm losing my interest in Warhammer 40,000, mainly because of the rising prices. I like the idea that there is so much fiction backing it up, but I would like more detail and more reality. I would prefer a modernish wargame that allows you to build up an army based on what you want in it. Also, if there is a large community for the wargame, that would be a big help. Can anyone give me some suggestions?
        If you are familiar with Warhammer I would suggest that you look at Warhammer Ancients. The system would be familiar to you but it will have a historical theme.

If you want to get into a historical miniatures that has tons of tournaments then play DBA (De Bellis Antiquitatis) Check the game out at http://www.fanaticus.org/DBA/

The Flames of War (FoW) is great for WWII.

Just me two cents…

Comment

I was thinking of doing Warhammer historical, but I don't know if I would be interested in the time periods offered. Do you know if they're going to expand beyond early warfare, middle ages, and the indian wars?

Comment

BattleTech - if you can find it.

cheap to play, and a huge community. Can also play over the net using a 3rd party app.
            Now listening too;
            - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Comment

Originally posted by Larkin
              I was thinking of doing Warhammer historical, but I don't know if I would be interested in the time periods offered. Do you know if they're going to expand beyond early warfare, middle ages, and the indian wars?
              Look at this link:
              http://www.thewarstore.com/warhammerhistoricals.html

There are several time periods that Warhammer Ancients deal with...

Comment

My favorite

I am very fond of a system called "Budget Battlefield" from Microtactix games (www.microtactix.com). It is a fairly light miniatures game, I would say on par with 40K. (I consider 40K a a light game, compared with things like hard-core WWII simulations and such.)

Budget Battlefield comes with cardboard standup figures, but also includes rules for designing your own figures, so you can stat out any figures you find. There is even a freeware figure/army generator called Army Assembler. (I don't know the link, you can Google it easily enough.)

Microtactix sells cardboard standup armies for Fantasy and Sci-Fi worlds. I created some near-future units and vehicles that you can get from http://www.enter.net/~mdesanto/Games-Right-BFP.htm.

The rules, which include some small armies, cost $12. The army expansions generally cost $8 to $12, depending on the number of indifidual units. Keeping in mind that you can print as many units as you want, it's pretty cheap.
                Mike DeSanto
                www.enter.net/~mdesanto

A Human never stands so tall,
                as when stooping to help a small
                computer. - Infocom motto

Comment

Heres the Flames of War website for you:
                  http://www.flamesofwar.com/
                  In their eyes as they pass is not hatred, not excitement, not despair, not the tonic of their victory - there is just the simple expression of being here as though they had been here doing this forever, and nothing else.

Comment

Comes with aload of plastic figures and two tanks. Also expansions coming out

http://www.alzozero.it/eng/index.html
                    Lesliesplace forum

Leslies place. Come on in and enjoy the company of a few good people.

Comment

Try Flames of War, I play it now after many years of fighting on devestated worlds throughout the imperium. Its much more cost effective than 40k and adds a sense of realism because it is based on a real period in human history....have a look on the web site that was posted earlier for a local club or store that stocks it.........or check out the online catalogue

Comment

I've sat and played the D&D minis thanks to a couple of friends that literally have boxes and boxes of them.

First perk, they're painted, even though I am a modeller, I want to PLAY with them, not spend time painting them. If I want to PAINT miniatures, I'll stick to good ones that are worth the time.

Second perk, the game actually is fun to play.

I KNOW there are lots of Warhammer fans, I'm not one of them though. Over priced crap. Who cares if the game rules are well developed, its based off of playing with over priced crap.

I would love to play AAM, but no one I know has them. The store though made it clear, lots of them have been sold. They sell by the case they are so well liked.
                        Life is change. Built models for decades.
                        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X