Boardgame publishers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boardgame publishers

There are tons of wargames out there...published by a wide range of publishers - too many to mention.

Which publisher do you consider to be the best in the Wargame genre? Which publisher am I likely to find in your house?

And if I've forgotten some, let me know...

Kind regards,

Stratego
    GMT
    25.00%
    Victory Point games
    0.00%
    Decision Games
    12.50%
    Avalon Hill
    62.50%
    Colombia Games
    0.00%
    Academy Games
    0.00%
    Clash of Arms
    0.00%
    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

SPI I have probably 100 of their games at home, of course they went out of busness in the 80's?, 90's? But they still made the best games.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Sorry, you left key players off the list.

Almost all of my purchases are split between GMT and MMP. With any others taking up maybe 10%.
      “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
      “To talk of many things:
      Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
      Of cabbages—and kings—
      And why the sea is boiling hot—
      And whether pigs have wings.”
      ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
        Sorry, you left key players off the list.
        Obviously, that's always the case with polls ;-)
        Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

I was a fan of Steve Jackson games, They were inexpensive and mostly a quick fun game...
          Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
            I was a fan of Steve Jackson games, They were inexpensive and mostly a quick fun game...
            I still have Ogre, Car Wars, Illuminati, and The Awful Green Things From Outer Space.

Some are still available but not so cheap anymore.
            "Put guards on all the roads, and don't let the men run to the rear."
            Major General John Buford's final words on his deathbed.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsar View Post
              SPI I have probably 100 of their games at home, of course they went out of busness in the 80's?, 90's? But they still made the best games.
              I would go also with SPI.
              Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by Widow Maker View Post
                I still have Ogre, Car Wars, Illuminati, and The Awful Green Things From Outer Space.

Some are still available but not so cheap anymore.
                Ogre is bagged for 2.95USD. Car Wars and Car Wars Arenas have been reprinted for 19.95USD each.

Comment

One can still get many Strategy and Tactics games. They operate under Decision Games in California now. These folks also offer other people's old games.

Pruitt
                  Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

GMT by far.
                    "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Voted for Avalon Hill--more of their games are in my collection than anyone else's. Lately, I've gotten a number of GMT's games, and Hexasim also makes some solid games on topics less well known in the US.

Comment

The games in this list I have fondest memories of are Avalon Hill's
                        BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post
                          The games in this list I have fondest memories of are Avalon Hill's
                          Fondest, agree Avalon Hill. Cut my wargaming teeth on Tactcs II, Afrika Korps, D-Day, Waterloo, and Battle of the Bulge.
                          Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

SPI. Both for volume and in terms of quality. Many of theirs were so-so, and some even awful, but they also managed many winners including a number that ended up being sold to Avalon Hill and republished by them.

Comment

I like FFG a lot. Excellent play testing, high production values, and reasonable product support.

I know they are not really making "war games". But titles such as Britannia, A Game Of Thrones, Fortress America, Age Of Conan, Star Wars Rebellion, TI3, etc, are as war-gamey as anything AH/Hasbro produces I think.

I'm voting for AH just because I love Diplomacy and Axis & Allies. But GMT are also an excellent company (and it's my hopes that they'll find a way to give us a new Titan printing).
                              Last edited by crimhead; 07 Apr 17, 11:31.
                              Supremacy 2020 is the Superpower Game of Nuclear Brinksmanship. My blog:
                              https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X