Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BayonetBrant
    replied
    yeah, I remember when Aaron started out with just an email list of secondhand items he'd picked up and was sharing them in various gaming boards on AOL.com

Noble Knight has come a looooooong way.

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    Noble Knight is a good company. I have done business with them.

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• OttoHarkaman
    replied
    During the pandemic I couldn't help myself from not purchasing from nobleknight some old SPI war games that I had wanted when I was a kid.

https://www.nobleknight.com/

a4125312-477a-4e0a-92e4-38c21a8c42a3-noble-knight.jpg?preset=listing-page-slider-desktop.jpg
    Noble Knight Games was established in 1997, and is known across the gaming world for carrying the world's largest selection of both new and out-of-print tabletop games. Noble Knight has a retail store and play area located in Fitchburg and has weekly gaming events and tournaments for all ages.

Leave a comment:

• BayonetBrant
    replied
    https://twitter.com/ADragoons/status...804446208?s=20

Someday, folks like NPR will figure out that wargamers have been using crowdfunding through p500 systems since Kickstarter's founders were in middle school. It's not like crowdfunding is new. It just took everyone else 20 years to catch up.

Leave a comment:

• G David Bock
    replied
    A Look Into The Wild Economy Of Tabletop Board Game Funding
    Long before the coronavirus pandemic, tabletop board games were having something of a renaissance, with popular games like The Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ridebecoming mainstream additions to family game nights.

Then, COVID-19 hit and, as Quartz reported, it changed how many hobbyist board game creators approached the industry. But for many people who suddenly found themselves stuck at home under lockdown, the pandemic also spurred newfound interest in strategy games that require creativity and concentration. Board game hobbyists had more time to spend learning about new games coming out, while newbies to the scene were discovering a world beyond classics like Monopoly and Clue.

Then, on March 30, the board game Frosthaven — the dungeon crawling, highly-anticipated sequel to the hit game Gloomhaven — surpassed its funding goal of $500,000 on Kickstarter in mere hours. Today, it is the most-funded board game on the site ever, with nearly $13 million pledged toward funding the game's development. Only two projects have ever crowdsourced more funding on the site.

Frosthaven's success seemed to exemplify a shift that has been happening in the tabletop gaming community for years: toward games that are not only focused on strategy and adventure, but also a new type of funding model where fans have more say than ever in which games move from the idea stage to their living rooms. And hobbyist tabletop games are a different breed of entertainment altogether.
    https://www.npr.org/2020/07/05/88728...=pocket-newtab

Leave a comment:

• BayonetBrant
    replied
    Originally posted by Stratego View Post
    And if I've forgotten some, let me know...
    Oy vey... these posts have a character limit, no?

I mean, to start with, you missed MMP, who have the ASL franchise, and the OCS/SCS series

now, not all of these were active when the original post went up, but still, just off the top of my head....

LNLP
    High Flying Dice
    Compass Games
    Decision Games (who have a lot of the old SPI catalog, incl S&T magazine)
    Revolution Games
    Hollandspiele
    Osprey
    DVG
    Lost Battalion Games
    Tiny Battle Publishing
    Flying Pig Games
    LPS (incl Turning Point Sims and Against The Odd Magazine, among others)
    Worthington
    One Small Step
    Canvas Temple
    The Wargaming Company
    Too Fat Lardies
    Griggling Games
    Fiery Dragon Press
    Valley Games
    Eagle-Gryphon Games
    Days of Wonder (M'44)
    Iello (Heroes of Normandie series)
    Avalanche Press
    Minden Games
    Nuts! Publishing
    Battles Magazine
    Pacific Rim
    New England Sims
    Quarterdeck International
    Fort Circle Games
    Ventonuovo
    Thin Red Line

(note this is just active publishers, so not counting 3W, GDW, SPI, AH, WEG, BayonetGames, etc, or digital publishers)

Leave a comment:

• G David Bock
    replied
    Originally posted by Freebird View Post

Sure, it's April 17, 18, 19 (Fri-Sun) so the weekend after Easter.

http://www.trumpetersociety.com

You wouldn't need to bring anything except a strategic brain all miniatures, gaming materials etc are provided by the Game Hosts.

1496045185.jpg

I'll send you an email.
    I'll be running Market Garden on Sat evening
    It would be really cool to have an American to represent the Sky Dragons (18th Airborne Corps - 82nd & 101st) this year!

My gaming experience hasn't included much table top other than D&D, so will have to connect with you on rules and mechanics, etc.
    Sounds fun.
    I've done some hex game versions of Market Garden so recall a bit about the campaign/battle.

Leave a comment:

• Freebird
    replied
    Originally posted by G David Bock View Post

IIRC; I was mostly into their Sci-fi games, have Imperium, Fifth Frontier war, and lots of Traveler stuff in storage.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_D...rs%27_Workshop

I might be up for that April thing, as long as not near Easter weekend. I'llhave to go thru the van to make sure no loose ammo lying about. I don't have much in way of minatures for tabletop though. We can kick it around. email me maybe.
    Sure, it's April 17, 18, 19 (Fri-Sun) so the weekend after Easter.

http://www.trumpetersociety.com

You wouldn't need to bring anything except a strategic brain all miniatures, gaming materials etc are provided by the Game Hosts.

1496045185.jpg

I'll send you an email.
    I'll be running Market Garden on Sat evening
    It would be really cool to have an American to represent the Sky Dragons (18th Airborne Corps - 82nd & 101st) this year!

Leave a comment:

• G David Bock
    replied

Long gone unfortunately....

I've run Market Garden (GDW Series 120) on an enlarged map twice at our local gaming convention a couple of times, its a fantastic game.

First time the Allies got clobbered by the Germans, the second time they were more aggressive and punched all the way across the Rhine.

BTW, would you be interested in coming up for some Tabletop wargaming?
    We'll be setting up again at the convention in Burnaby BC in April.
    IIRC; I was mostly into their Sci-fi games, have Imperium, Fifth Frontier war, and lots of Traveler stuff in storage.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_D...rs%27_Workshop

I might be up for that April thing, as long as not near Easter weekend. I'llhave to go thru the van to make sure no loose ammo lying about. I don't have much in way of minatures for tabletop though. We can kick it around. email me maybe.

Leave a comment:

• Freebird
    replied

Good point!
    I have a couple of their games, stored with others for now.
    Wonder if they are still around?
    Long gone unfortunately....

I've run Market Garden (GDW Series 120) on an enlarged map twice at our local gaming convention a couple of times, its a fantastic game.

First time the Allies got clobbered by the Germans, the second time they were more aggressive and punched all the way across the Rhine.

BTW, would you be interested in coming up for some Tabletop wargaming?
    We'll be setting up again at the convention in Burnaby BC in April.

Leave a comment:

• G David Bock
    replied

A truly silly game.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned GDW?
    Good point!
    I have a couple of their games, stored with others for now.
    Wonder if they are still around?

Leave a comment:

• Freebird
    replied
    Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
    A truly silly game.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned GDW?

Leave a comment:

• Snowygerry
    replied
    (…) and Exploding Kittens ("A card game for people who are into kittens and explosions”)
    Aren't we all

https://explodingkittens.com/

Leave a comment:

• G David Bock
    replied
    Here for now, pending another thread;
    The Invasion of the German Board Games

Their peaceful premises and intricate rule systems are changing the way Americans play—and helping shape an industry in the process.

In a development that would have been hard to imagine a generation ago, when video games were poised to take over living rooms, board games are thriving. Data shows that U.S. sales grew by 28 percent between the spring of 2016 and the spring of 2017. Revenues are expected to rise at a similar rate into the early 2020s—largely, says one analyst, because the target audience “has changed from children to adults,” particularly younger ones.

Much of this success is traceable to the rise of games that, well, get those adults acting somewhat more like children. Clever, low-overhead card games such as Cards Against Humanity, Secret Hitler, and Exploding Kittens (“A card game for people who are into kittens and explosions”) have sold exceptionally well. Games like these have proliferated on Kickstarter, where anyone with a great idea and a contact at an industrial printing company can circumvent the usual toy-and-retail gatekeepers who green-light new concepts. (The largest project category on Kickstarter is “Games,” and board games make up about three-quarters of those projects.)

Growth has also been particularly swift in the category of “hobby” board games, which comprises more sophisticated titles that are oriented toward older players—think Settlers of Catan. These games, compared to ones like Monopoly and Cards Against Humanity, represent a niche segment, but that segment is becoming something more than a niche: According to ICv2, a trade publication that covers board games, comic books, and other hobbyist products, sales of hobby board games in the U.S. and Canada increased from an estimated $75 million to $305 million between 2013 and 2016, the latest year for which data is available.

Hobby-game fanaticism is still very much a subculture, to be sure, but it is a growing one. At the 2017 iteration of Gen Con—North America’s largest hobby-gaming convention, in Indianapolis—turnstile attendance topped 200,000. For the first time in the event’s history, all the attendee badges were purchased before the event began. Whether they knew it or not, the many thousands of people carpeting the field level of Lucas Oil Stadium wouldn’t be there if it weren’t for a small group of obsessives on the other side of the Atlantic.
    https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...=pocket-newtab

Leave a comment:

• Stratego
    replied
    Originally posted by Khryses View Post
    You have ten years on me, but there's a huge boardgame renaissance going on at the moment.
    In all honesty: the Renaissance is over in my opinion. It's been going on for 15 years now. Those that want to hop onto the train of boardgame design...they must do it now.
    I'll give it another year or two...then it will be much less. 'Booms' don't last unfortunately!

This year more than 950 new games in Essen. Go figure!

Greets,
    Stratego

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X