Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for*security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day.*I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place. Awards it one of the only things that have gone away and won't be coming back. that is due to a limitation of the new hosting.

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie
- Color/Theme changes
-*Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the*Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below.
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Any Heroclix players?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Heroclix players?

I've been chatting with a friend on the topic of Heroclix. I dabbled in the game for the past few months but have been considering cashing in but he feels I give the game a bad rap.

If you haven't played, Heroclix is basically a tabletop version of Super Smash Brothers. Characters from a variety of fictional universes, mostly comic book but not exclusively so, are turned into little prepainted miniatures and fought on tabletop. So you could, for example, see what happens when Iron Man fights Frodo Baggins on top of the Metropolis tower.

It's a colorful game but there are many aspects of it which I don't like. For one thing, there are a number of special abilities which can make the game extremely obnoxious. Worst among them is one called "probability control" which is used to force your opponent to reroll dice (or reroll dice yourself) often cancelling out a hit. Also there's the fact that it doesn't appeal to me as a tactical gamer since it seems like the gyst of the game is for players to lumber toward each other and then blast away like drunken western gunfighters until somebody drops. No rules on facing, fire arcs, or flanking maneuvers. Just walk up and bash each other until one guy keels over. Most of the game exists in the character's card which provide a Catholic litany worth of special powers which also drag the game down as you spend thirty seconds deciding what you want to do and ten minutes figuring out how to do it. Watch any game and you'll see players move a few pieces and then spend long periods of game time staring at the card trying to mentally work out how the attack proceeds. At the local tournament each game is given an hour or more and despite the fact that it is a face off of about four on four in a game where enemies can be knocked out in just a few rounds, it takes every minute of the clock and then some to finish.

My experience with the gameplay has been one of tedious bookkeeping, perpetually manipulated die rolls, and general aggravation.

But my friend thinks I'm giving it a bad rap.

Thoughts?
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

I got into Heroclix a few years ago. I spent a couple hundred bucks buying up most of the iconic characters, only to discover these had been obsoleted by newer figures. Like a good sport, I spent another couple hundred dollars updating my collection, and everything was fine (this was around the release of "Origins").

Guess what - within a year they were making newer figures so powerful that most of my collection was again unplayable.
    Fool me twice, shame on me.

Maybe they've found a good balance, I'm not sure. I'm done.

I do recommend Marvel Heros by FFG. It's got excellent theme going imo, but be warned it is not remotely a tactical combat game. It's a strategy game focusing on characters and missions - almost like an adventure game.
    Last edited by crimhead; 07 Apr 17, 12:25.
    Supremacy 2020 is the Superpower Game of Nuclear Brinksmanship. My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by crimhead View Post
      Guess what - within a year they were making newer figures so powerful that most of my collection was again unplayable.
      That was my experience. Back when the first Heroclix release hit I bought in and had much fun with the game. Then it died out. Recently I saw some guys playing the new version but decided not to revisit because the producers have embraced the Magic the Gathering formula, keep releasing new sets which, if a player wants to keep up, he must buy. I will just stick with Warhammer.
      QamuIs Heg qaq law' lorvIs yInqaq puS

(Better to die on your feet than live on your knees)

Comment

Working...
      X