X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Originally posted by Double Deuce View Post
    I love it but a lot of people balk because of the price. If you use it enough and can get a good regular group, I feel its well worth it. I hear a lot of people buy it thinking it's like an MMO or is fully automated and includes all the information in the books which it does not. Its mainly the empty framework needed for GM's to enter all the game system data (that's mostly for copyright issues where they are not licensed to include all the data). You still need all the books unless you by a ruleset that is licensed and built by/for the developer's such as the one for RoleMaster Classic.

For example, D&D 5e. You get the empty framework, but none of the data that is in the books. You have to enter the data to play so there is upfront work by the DM.

If i get time, I will open a new thread and post some screenshots and information. Another thing is, if the GM has the ultimate license, anyone can connect to them and play using a demo/unlicensed version.
    Ah. Good to know. We use a homebrew amalgamation of systems, and LAN MapTool at the table (everyone has a laptop), so all we're using is the map. Maptools does have some of what you've described, but since we don't use it I'm not familiar with it.

Leave a comment:

• Double Deuce
    replied
    Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    Is it really that great? MapTool is completely free, and the screenshots don't look all that different.
    I love it but a lot of people balk because of the price. If you use it enough and can get a good regular group, I feel its well worth it. I hear a lot of people buy it thinking it's like an MMO or is fully automated and includes all the information in the books which it does not. Its mainly the empty framework needed for GM's to enter all the game system data (that's mostly for copyright issues where they are not licensed to include all the data). You still need all the books unless you by a ruleset that is licensed and built by/for the developer's such as the one for RoleMaster Classic.

For example, D&D 5e. You get the empty framework, but none of the data that is in the books. You have to enter the data to play so there is upfront work by the DM.

If i get time, I will open a new thread and post some screenshots and information. Another thing is, if the GM has the ultimate license, anyone can connect to them and play using a demo/unlicensed version.

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Originally posted by Double Deuce View Post
    I have looked at it, same with Roll20 but I have been a Fantasy Grounds user for several years now, maybe 6 and it really meets my needs. I just don't understand why they have such a hard time. They (WotC) probably have a lot more $$$ to throw towards the project than the 3rd party VTT developers out there who rely on donations and kickstarter.
    Is it really that great? MapTool is completely free, and the screenshots don't look all that different.

Leave a comment:

• Double Deuce
    replied
    Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    I have looked at it, same with Roll20 but I have been a Fantasy Grounds user for several years now, maybe 6 and it really meets my needs. I just don't understand why they have such a hard time. They (WotC) probably have a lot more $$$ to throw towards the project than the 3rd party VTT developers out there who rely on donations and kickstarter.

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Ever tried MapTool?

http://www.rptools.net/?page=maptool

Leave a comment:

• Duncan
    replied
    No big surprise there.
    I broke down and picked up a few Pathfinder books in October.

Leave a comment:

• Double Deuce
    started a topic Dungeonscape and WotC part ways

Dungeonscape and WotC part ways

Well, that went about as well as most of the other WotC related projects.

D&Done : Wizards and Trapdoor split ways, Dungeonscape no more
    http://www.trapdoortechnologies.com/dungeonscape/

So far we have no Character Builder and no official Virtual Table Top for 5e. Well, maybe one day.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X