No announcement yet.

Balance and 2 player playability for Great Battles of Alexander Deluxe Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balance and 2 player playability for Great Battles of Alexander Deluxe Edition

Hi to one and all on Armchair General! This is my first post here.

I was wondering how many of the scenarios in Great Battles of Alexander would be playable by 2 people where the Persians have a fair chance to win. I know that would mean that they are perhaps not historically accurate but does that happen anywhere in this game, because this is a simulation?

If so could you please mention the battles that can be played by 2?

I was really thinking on buying this game and my decision would really depend on what I hear about it since I dont have access to play the game out anywhere. The price is also quite high and though it is an incredible value I would still like to know your opinions on this.

I did read the comments about the game on BGG but am still confused.

Thanking you in advance,
    Really
    Rajeev.

Welcome to the forums man!
    The GBOH series is not known for balance. They are good games with a good narrative. But if you are looking for other than historical results it is best to avoid them.
    AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
    The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
      Welcome to the forums man!
      The GBOH series is not known for balance. They are good games with a good narrative. But if you are looking for other than historical results it is best to avoid them.
      One the other hand the Persians have vastly larger armies, huge contingents of cavalry and the advantage of position in almost every combat.

Alexander's superior troops and elite initiative do give them a solid edge in the hands of a skilled commander, but for an inexperienced player the Persian 'throw a f***-ton of guys at him' approach could be successful. After all, the real Alexander almost died in about half the battles he was in. It's not like he was the Juggernaut or something. Good, and really lucky.

To the OP, the most 'balanced' GMT Great Battles game is Devil's Horsemen, as the armies are generally comparable in composition; the Mongols are usually the best but, again, it depends who's running the army. The Khwarizmian cavalry, for example, is quite heavy compared to the Mongols.

These battles are not balanced (and aren't trying to be) but they're not a turkey shoot, at least not usually.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X