Diplomacy Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diplomacy Discussion

In a few weeks an ACG Diplomacy game will begin in these forums. I will also post for players from AHIKS and BottosCon to improve the chance of gaining seven players. This thread is for discussion and FAQ. I will answer questions as they come up and add important ones to the FAQ. You can discuss and post questions in this thread. Players will not be accepted for entry into the game from this thread.

FAQ

Q) Can I play?
    A) Yes you can. However, players are not being accepted yet. I will ask for interested people to PM me in a few weeks. Keep an eye on this thread for the announcement.

Q) Do I need to own the game to play?
    A) Yes you do. I will be resolving the turns using the map pad sheet and MSPaint. The game will be difficult to follow and boring if you don't have a physical copy set up yourself. The components are also copyright. Therefore, you must own a copy.

Q) But I don't own a copy and really want to play.
    A) Your inability to understand the previous answer places doubt on your chance of surviving the game very long anyhow. Perhaps you should stick to Risk. Seriously, you need to decide if your desire to play is worth the $40 to pick up a copy of the game.

Q) What version are we using?
    A) 5th edition.

Q) What if I need to take a break for any reason?
    A) Your Power will be placed in Civil Disorder until you return.

Q) What is the time limit for submitting a turn?
    A) Turns should be submitted in the format explained in the rules via PM. I am thinking of a 12 day turn around. This may be shortened to six days. I'll know for sure before we begin. If a turn is not submitted in time or I cannot understand a turn your Power will be in Civil Disorder for that turn.

Q) Can I give my Power to someone else to play?
    A) No. Abdications will not be allowed. If you leave the game your Power goes into Civil Disorder.

Q) Will this game be AHIKS/AREA rated?
    A) Only if all seven players are AHIKS members. So, probably not.
    Last edited by Duncan; 24 May 13, 23:52.
    AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
    The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Is there a ribbon involved?
    "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
      Is there a ribbon involved?
      Not as it stands at this moment. But maybe. The game needs substantial involvement to conclusion in order to consider this.
      Last edited by Duncan; 24 May 13, 23:52.

Comment

If you are interested please make some kind of a post here. Then I know if this is worth pursuing.

Comment

Glad to see this initiative Duncan
          Time frame would suit me.
          I'm in interested
          BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Diplomacy

Count me in.

Comment

Where's the best place to get the game?
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                Huh. If Captain Soup-sandwich is in, I shoul be in just to make sure he loses.

That is, unless there will be another butthurt incident over my team's habit of winning everything and killing everybody. That last one was sad.
                "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                  It should be easy to find. I just picked up the 50th anniversary edition at Chapters (chain bookstore) for $25 (30% discount and $5 loyalty points). Check local game and book stores. You could always use NWS online but that'll cost you shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post
                    Glad to see this initiative Duncan
                    Time frame would suit me.
                    I'm in interested
                    I'm just reading the rules. Haven't really played since junior high Diplomacy club. I might cut the time frame down to six days per phase. Perhaps allow longer for the diplomacy phase if the others go quick. It will vary from turn to turn. I'll be very specific and no extensions with the deadline each phase.

Comment

I'm in

Comment

Just to make sure folks understand... YOU MUST OWN A COPY OF THE GAME TO PLAY. It'll be difficult to follow and boring if you don't.

Comment

If I gotta spend 25 bucks or so on the game, I'll want a medal to prove I'm a cheap conniving drunk (diplomat). Sounds like a good opportunity to prove I can screw anyone at anyplace at anytime.

See y'all in late 1918...
                          Skip

Comment

This will probably start mid June. I want to put a notice in the K (AHIKS newsletter) and offer it to those folks before we begin. I'm really looking forward to this.

The ribbon is still undecided. It may not be decided on until the end of the game. I want to ensure we have good participation, which will warrant a ribbon. Hm... is that a bribe?

Comment

If there is still room I would be glad to join!
                              I have Diplomacy and have played it a couple times!
                              In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes
                              - Benjamin Franklin, U.S. statesman, author, and scientist

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X