Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DD5e Coming Soon... with fan "input"

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/10/ar...&smid=fb-share

But there might yet be hope for Dungeons & Dragons, known as D&D. On Monday, Wizards of the Coast, the Hasbro subsidiary that owns the game, is expected to announce that a new edition is under development, the first overhaul of the rules since the contentious fourth edition was released in 2008. And Dungeons & Dragons’ designers are also planning to undertake an exceedingly rare effort for the gaming industry over the next few months: asking hundreds of thousands of fans to tell them how exactly they should reboot the franchise.

The game “is a unique entertainment experience because it’s crafted by the players at the table, and every gaming session is different,” said Liz Schuh, who directs publishing and licensing for Dungeons & Dragons. “We want to take that idea of the players crafting that experience to the next level and say: ‘Help us craft the rules. Help us craft how this game is played.’ ”

Dungeons & Dragons, created by Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, was the first commercially published role-playing game when it came out in 1974. In the game imagination is the playscape, assisted by graph-paper maps, miniature figurines of orcs and hobbits and a referee called a “dungeon master” who moderates an improvised story with a pretend fellowship of wizards, warriors and rogues.Players toss polyhedral dice and consult tomes of rules to determine outcomes. It has shades of the “Lord of the Rings” movies, except that in the game players assembled around a table get to be the characters.

“There is something fundamental to the D&D role-playing game that answers a need for people,” said Mike Mearls, senior manager of Dungeons & Dragons research and development — that need being telling your own heroic story. Throughout the 1970s and ’80s Dungeons & Dragons grew from a cult sensation into something more, surviving, even thriving, after unfounded accusations that it led teenagers to practice black magic and commit suicide. Since the game’s birth an estimated 20 million people have played it and spent $1 billion on its products. Many computer coders once dabbled in the hobby, which explains why so many video games today use a “run through a dungeon and kill monsters” premise, and borrow concepts — avatars, levels, open-ended stories, cooperative game play — pioneered by Dungeons & Dragons. The nerdy pastime has even become a badge of honor for hipsters and artists, with the likes of the film director Jon Favreau, the comedian Stephen Colbert, the N.B.A. star Tim Duncan and the actor Vin Diesel professing their love of the game, and the NBC comedy “Community” using it as a plot point in a recent episode.

But Dungeons & Dragons has slumped, buffeted by forces external and internal. The company does not release sales figures, but analysts and gaming experts agree that sales of the game, and all tabletop role-playing ones, have been dwindling for years. Ryan Scott Dancey, chief executive of the game company Goblinworks and a former vice president at Wizards of the Coast, said the overall market peaked between 1999 and 2003 and has been in steady decline since 2005. “My instincts are it’s slower than ever,” he said.
    In the event of another forum meltdown, feel free to join us over at www.armchairdragoons.com

Awesome find, Brant. Thanks for sharing.

Two thoughts come out of this.

First, Hasbro is running the franchise as a business. That's both good and bad. The good news is that they'll try to make decisions to keep the franchise alive. The bad news is that those decisions aimed at profitability my have a negative impact on the creativity and fun of the game. The two do not often co-exist in perfect harmony, especially with as complex a product as D&D.

Second, this is an interesting development. They're essentially trying to use the entire community as a focus group. I'm afraid what they'll find is that they now have (at least) two communities: The old school community that was driven primarily by plot and relied less on game mechanics, and the 4.0 community that was attracted to the miniatures and MMO-style of play where at level 1 you enjoyed superhero status.

Personally, I loved 3.5 with its vast volume of resources. I was especially fond of the environmental books. For me, 4.0 was an entirely different game. Not a bad game, but so non-traditional that it failed to resemble its roots. As a result, I was not eager to play it.

In a way, Hasbro has made exactly the same mistake that was made when New Coke was introduced. They had a great product, possibly a superior product to the original. But people still wanted to original, and instead of launching a new IP, they instead tried to replace one with the other. It failed.

D&D may have many flaws but, like Coke "Classic" it still is in demand. Were I at Hasbro, I would not just create D&D v5, but I'd also launch D&D The Paper MMO and let 4.0 morph into 4.5.
    RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. As you were mentioning LB, I was more into it for the plot and what would happen next. I didn't really get into the advanced numbers crunching aspect. I think you have a great idea of branching off the MMO from the original (which I consider myself).
      "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
      -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

more info

http://critical-hits.com/2012/01/09/...ons-announced/

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.a...d/4ll/20120109

http://www.enworld.org/forum/news/31...h-edition.html
        In the event of another forum meltdown, feel free to join us over at www.armchairdragoons.com

Comment

5th Edition D&D Is In Development — Should We Care?

Personally, I'm versioned out.

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/01...s-and-dragons/

I think it’s safe to say that this announcement doesn’t come as a major surprise to anyone following the difficulties the Dungeons & Dragons game has experienced as of late. An excellent series of articles (past, present, & future) on The Escapist details several of these.
          Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Whatever.
            I play 3.5
            Had I known more I would have invested in Pathfinder instead.
            I wish that I had kept my 1st or 2nd edition gear.
            The next campaign I run will be GURPS.
            Count me as versioned out as well.
            Last edited by Duncan; 09 Jan 12, 20:56.
            AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
            The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

I'm pretty much done with D&D and have been for some time. I have just recently been converted to OSRIC. It's basically old school AD&D 1e and is free.

I also joined an online group that should be starting up again soon now the the holidays are past. The DM is converting a bunch of the old modules for us to run through.
              The group just recently finished Against the Cult of the Reptile God before Christmas but I was not able to get in on the game until now. I think he's working on the The Village of Hommlet next (not the newer Temple 1-4 revision but the original T1 Module).
              [Official Game Thread] "To the Berezina River" Napoleonic Game

Comment

I'll admit that I didn't like 3/3.5 but liked 4e quite a bit. And I started on OD&D (before the "Advanced" books came out). I guess it's just me. I still enjoy Castle & Crusades for my old school fix, but my go-to game these days is 4e.

Comment

Originally posted by BayonetBrant View Post
                  I'll admit that I didn't like 3/3.5 but liked 4e quite a bit. And I started on OD&D (before the "Advanced" books came out). I guess it's just me. I still enjoy Castle & Crusades for my old school fix, but my go-to game these days is 4e.
                  I wish I could see what you see in 4.0. I want to like it, but I really don't. But I've only played a couple of games. I've also bought Castles & Crusades and it's a little too constrained for me, but again I've not played the game.

I suppose in the right hands any of these games will provide a good gaming experience. Fact is, I haven't played any pen & paper RPGs in almost two years and I'm not searching for a new group to game with so it may be a couple more years before I get back into it.

News of a new D&D in development is welcome. I enjoy seeing innovation in gaming.
                  RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.

Comment

Originally posted by LongBlade View Post
                    I wish I could see what you see in 4.0. I want to like it, but I really don't. But I've only played a couple of games. I've also bought Castles & Crusades and it's a little too constrained for me, but again I've not played the game.

I suppose in the right hands any of these games will provide a good gaming experience. Fact is, I haven't played any pen & paper RPGs in almost two years and I'm not searching for a new group to game with so it may be a couple more years before I get back into it.

News of a new D&D in development is welcome. I enjoy seeing innovation in gaming.
                    Innovation I like and I can find that without paying for yet another version of game X. I can find in my living room on gaming night or in source material that is imaginative and creative regardless of system and adapdable to my game. Another set of mechanics isn't innovation - it's advertising that convinces the customer they need to re-purchase a product and a marketing plan trying to make up for lack of vision and creativity within the company.
                    AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                    The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

http://dfwroleplayers.com/rpg-news/1...upport-coming/

Reprints of 1st edition AD&D books coming soon

Comment

Originally posted by BayonetBrant View Post
                        http://dfwroleplayers.com/rpg-news/1...upport-coming/

Reprints of 1st edition AD&D books coming soon
                        Interesting. All my old copies are about played out and I was going to pick up a newer set on ebay to replace them but with this news, I might need to hold off a little longer.
                        [Official Game Thread] "To the Berezina River" Napoleonic Game

Comment

I think I still have most of my first edition AD&D books in here somewhere.
                          Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X