Ranger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranger

Anyone have any experience with this? I saw it many years ago in a U.S. Cavalry catalogue and forgot about it until a offer for the updated version showed up in an E-mail from Ranger Joe's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranger:...ing_Operations
    Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Dunno.
    But you can see what other people think here.
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6929/ranger
    AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
    The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Yeah I played it a couple times back in the day.

It's solitaire and if you follow real life infantry tactics you'll do fine.

You've got to be familiar with such things as ambushes (near and far, L shaped, kill zones, etc), how to move a platoon tactically, rally points, patrol bases, etc to do well at the game.

The game designers obviously designed the game for those who were familiar with real life infantry ops.
      "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

11B 1988-90. I think I'll do OK

I might just have to get that next year sometime.
        Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

I somehow missed this post. Its not a bad one player game but requires quite a learning curve to figure out the tactics, like Captain General said. If you are a student of infantry tactics or ex-GI you will definitely pick it up quicker. A few missions are very hard and despite good tactics you don't always come out on top. But go ahead and get its not a dud. The last updated release was in 92 (updated graphics) so thats the one you want, but be sure it can be installed it on your computer in case its a DOS game.

J_S
          I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those little red knives.
          ~Billy Connolly

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnySideburns View Post
            but be sure it can be installed it on your computer in case its a DOS game.
            you realize this is the "Board & Tabletop Gaming" folder, right?
            In the event of another forum meltdown, feel free to join us over at GrogHeads.com

Comment

Originally posted by BayonetBrant View Post
              you realize this is the "Board & Tabletop Gaming" folder, right?
              The one I played was a boardgame/booklet type game.

IIRC it had laminated tactical maps like those used by real Infantry types that you wrote on with grease pencil as you planned your op.

Maybe there's an old computer version?
              "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

That's a pretty interesting looking game. I'm not big into modern era stuff, but I might have to do some research on it and see how it looks.
                [Official Game Thread] "To the Berezina River" Napoleonic Game

Comment

Been looking at this further, including some video reviews and its definitely an interesting game concept. I'm surprised there isn't a WWII (or other era) variant available. I might need to pick up the basic game and see what possibilities there might be for doing my own personal version of something like that. Might make for a good forum based game I think?
                  [Official Game Thread] "To the Berezina River" Napoleonic Game

Comment

computer version coming by the end of the year.... supposedly
                    In the event of another forum meltdown, feel free to join us over at GrogHeads.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X