The Final Frontier

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Final Frontier

My copy of Star Trek: Fleet Captains arrived today. While I've ready a lot of good things about the gameplay and can't wait to give it a whirl I will say the component quality is rather disappointing.

I had to pull off and reglue an engine nacelle from one of the Enterprises because it was glued at an angle. The cards and system tiles appear to be made from onionskin.

Even at a heavily discounted price the quality is a shame. I feel sorry for anyone paying full retail.

I was over at the Star Ranger forums earlier today. Nothing good thus far about the game. Would it be possible for you to get some measurements on the Fed ships? I'm interested in the Nebula,Prometheus and Sovereign. Would they work in 1/7000 scale?
    If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Well, if anyone can screw up Star Trek it will be Wizkids.

Comment

That's really disappointing to hear, Scott. How about a review? Might help offset the cost.
        RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.

Comment

Here are a few links:

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/08...leet-captains/

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/7...fleet-captains

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/7036...f-the-rulebook

The third one is particularly telling.

Comment

Originally posted by Legate View Post
            Would it be possible for you to get some measurements on the Fed ships? I'm interested in the Nebula,Prometheus and Sovereign. Would they work in 1/7000 scale?
            I'm an old school Trek guy so the only ships I have an idea of what they should be scaled at are the D-7s and Birds of Prey, Enterprise, Excelsior...that said, scale is all over the place. The Bird of Prey is bigger than the Excelsior for example.

I would guess most of the Fed capital ships are maybe between 1/3500 and 1/4500?

Comment

Originally posted by LongBlade View Post
              That's really disappointing to hear, Scott. How about a review? Might help offset the cost.
              Possibly, depending on how much time I can devote to it.

Comment

Originally posted by It's Krol! View Post
                Possibly, depending on how much time I can devote to it.
                Keep in mind that if there's no redeeming value to the game we don't need to gratuitously kick it in the teeth. But if there's a bunch of good buried under the bad then it's worth a look.

The thing is, it looks really cool. I just pulled out Zocchi's and Kurtick's Star Fleet Battle Manual that I bought at a GenCon years ago. I even got a couple of cool minis to go with it and was just looking at them over the weekend before I saw your post. I had just been thinking we could use a good Star Trek minis game. It's a shame this one is such a mess. It's like WOTC is trying to go out of business some days, isn't it?
                RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Comment

Keep in mind that if there's no redeeming value to the game we don't need to gratuitously kick it in the teeth.
                  True, but if it is horrible then it would be a public service to ensure folks save their C-note in these troubled times.

It's like WOTC is trying to go out of business some days, isn't it?
                  Wizkids. As much as we'd like to blame WOTC for everything they don't have anything to do with this.

Everything I've read about the actual gameplay has been positive. It's just the components, especially when compared to something like Fantasy Flight Games, that leaves a bitter taste.
                  Last edited by It's Krol!; 27 Sep 11, 20:58. Reason: Sometimes forgetting a single word changes the entire sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by It's Krol! View Post
                    True, but if it is horrible then it would be a public service to ensure folks save their C-note in these troubled times.

Wizkids. As much as we'd like to blame WOTC for everything they don't have anything to do with this.

Everything I've read about the actual gameplay has been positive. It's just the components, especially when compared to something like Fantasy Flight Games, that leaves a bitter taste.
                    Then it makes sense to review this if you can manage.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X