No announcement yet.

Firefly Chapter 1- Xaing Zhau and Beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rolf whispered back to Chin "I wasn't born yesterday, there's summit wrong with this fellow."

He then spoke up "Stranger, what do you have to offer us, moneywise?"

The stranger looked up serenly and said "I don't keep things as petty as credits on hand. Information is the true currency of the 'verse, and I might have some of that that could prove useful. But I am getting off this rock, whether peaceably, or through necessary force."

There was something about his manner that made him think this fellow could back up his threat, if forced to it.
    Last edited by Dashy; 16 Mar 11, 23:10.
    Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

Phaing lowers the barrel of her MG, but keeps one hand on it. She spins on one heel, briefly facing the ship... where hopefully someone is watching. She points at her eye and waves at the surrounding terrain before completing the spin and facing the stranger.

"Funny coincidence, you bein' at the one spot on this rock where we just happen to be landing. How's a lonely-looking fella like you end up in the right place at the right time, eh?"

If he answers with just a shrug or some simple evasion, she just continues-
      "Hey Boss, he seems solid to me, do we need a new hand, or not?"

To the stranger; "They call me Phaing, what's your name?"
      (( If this is who I think it might be, he will probably hesitate, or have nothing at all to say. Phaing will assume he's making up an alias at this point. - "Huh, okay... for some reason I'm tempted to call you Kane... but it looks like too many people have been leaning on you already. How about Able?" ))
      "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

"Able" The stranger speaks, mostly to himself, just trying the name on for size.

"Yes, Able will work, quite nicely in fact."

The little girl smiles at him while the others seem no less discomfitted than before. He keeps his hands in front of them, not wishing to provoke violence that he did not have time to deal with. Truth might be the best solution to the current predicament.

"I had a misunderstanding with some former associates. They sent some rather affable, but uninformed mercs to handle their wet work. I simply explained the situation, and the mercs let me borrow one of their escape pods and land on the nearest planet."

He can see that no one really believes that, but it does at least fill most of the gap. And there's only one place that looks even remotely inhabited on this rock, and he's standing in the middle of it.

"As for payment, perhaps you have need of some skills, or information. After all, the currency of true gentlemen is knowledge of things past, present, and to come."
        Last edited by TacCovert4; 16 Mar 11, 20:32.
        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

The smile gets a little bigger. Phaing is still ready to shoot him in a heartbeat, and if he can be made to assume she's just another ditzy little gun-bunny, that will be easier.
          But that would be a shame. This gent is not bad-looking, and seems strong enough to do her share of the heavy-lifting.

"Seems like a nice fella to me, can we keep him, Boss?" she asks, not realizing that, coming from her, this might be a less-than stellar recommendation.
          "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Rolf hesiated, this guy excreted danger, but he did need a few more Hands, Gabriel was a big ship, and the crew they had was barely enough.

"You can tag along for now, Since you and Phaing seem to be getting on so swimmingly, you can join her Able, and keep a lookout while me and Chin drag out the goods." He then leant over to Phaing "I really don't trust this guy yet, keep an eye on him".

Comment

Originally posted by Dashy View Post
              He then leant over to Phaing "I really don't trust this guy yet, keep an eye on him".
              Phaing rolls her eyes at him in a 'well, duh" sort of way, and then turns to Able and continues the amiable banter. She acts the part and never gets with ten feet of him, and never takes that hand of the MG.
              "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Tsar View Post
                You made the mess you clean the mess. That's the way it works. As for watching the area I'll do that.
                "Who died and made you King Righteous- I've been paying for his crap for 2 days now- I think its only fair that he deals with mine. Besides, I take orders from the Cap'n last I checked, and he ordered me to overwatch the area, and that is what I intend to do. So the pair of you may kindly shove it, if you'd be so obliging."

with that, Ogilvy turned on his heel, and strode from the irate couple, bleating about how the captain would surely hear about this. He grabbed his rifle on the way out, and strode up a nearby hill. Rocks on the top gave him rear cover if he lay, and he had a perfect 180 degree view- from the ship to the bunker.

Ogilvy contemplated his new ship- sure the crew were quickly gouging a substantial Chip into his shoulder; It wasn't in his nature to go off like that, But things had changed rather rapidly for Ogilvy of late... anyway, anythings better than whatever he had going back on Xaing.

Ogilvy checked on the bunker through the scope and almost shot Phaing in the face- she was gesticulating wildly at him... "Holy Crap!" Ogilvy said to himself, observing the ragged stranger just behind Fang. The Captain and Fang seemed to accept him as friend, but from this angle the slight bulge of something strapped to the strangers side was viable to Ogilvy- just backward enough to be hidden from anyone front onwards. Ogilvy hazarded a guess at pistol, as he settled the crosshair between the eyes of the stranger. the others may have let their guard down, seeing as they strode past him into the bunker without a backward glance, but Ogilvy could tell by the look of his face that something was off about this one. Guess he'll fit in nicely.
                Last edited by Comrade|Ogilvy; 17 Mar 11, 04:17.
                Propaganda is to a democracy what the bludgeon is to a totalitarian state.
                ~Noam Chomsky

Comment

They reached the Bunker entrance, Rolf put in the passcode and the doors opened to reveal their cargo, six suitcase size boxes ...

Taking three trips each, lifting the heavy cargo out of the bunker, Rolf and Chin managed to load up the Mule.

"Time to roll"

and with that they moved back to the ship, leaving the forlon bunker to shrink in the distance. Once the Cargo was secure, Rolf radioed Slavimor

"Ok, time to get off this rock"

Comment

Ladies and gentlemen I hope you have enjoyed your stay on Shadow. We will now be taking a leisurely cruse through Reaver space for our return run.
                    Last edited by Tsar; 17 Mar 11, 18:51.
                    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

"Able" gave the other crewmembers a hand securing the boxes (he knows exactly what they are) in the cargo hold. Then he follows Phaing around as she performs her duties. From what he's been able to see, the crew is a bit light in the heavy lifting department, and the firepower present isn't what one would call 'professional'.

Those factors, and the content of the boxes, go far to convince "Able" that this crew isn't another bunch of mercs just trying to make a quick buck. Plus it means that he might be able to trade skills for passage, which helps get him back to more lucrative work.

Mostly he remained silent, and his pack was ever-close to his person, as he had no place to call his own yet.

Comment

Chine smiles as usual at the stranger and begins hauling.

"Able seems a good name for you. I can't help but wonder what all you are able to do, though."
                        "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                        George Mason
                        Co-author of the Second Amendment
                        during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

Phaing rolls her eyes when Slavomir makes his announcement. "Oh, great, how much more time do I have to spend cooped-up in that control-room? At least we didn't run into any Reavers on the ground."

She bumps into Chin when the loading is done and the others have gone. Head down and voice low- "What ya think 'bout the new guy? Big fish in a little pond, or something worse?" Futive glance back and forth. "I'd be scared, if I remembered how."
                          "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                            Phaing rolls her eyes when Slavomir makes his announcement. "Oh, great, how much more time do I have to spend cooped-up in that control-room? At least we didn't run into any Reavers on the ground."

She bumps into Chin when the loading is done and the others have gone. Head down and voice low- "What ya think 'bout the new guy? Big fish in a little pond, or something worse?" Futive glance back and forth. "I'd be scared, if I remembered how."
                            "Dangerous, yes, but our new crew member would not be running if those chasing him were not also dangerous."

"I think that it is wise to remember that those who are driven by demons may lead them to yourself if you get too close."

He then sighed and looked seriously at Phaing.

"A simple child caught between the Alliance and the Rebels was scared all the time. Whether it was Reavers or even a ship like our own raiding for crops or cattle, we were frightened. We still worked and loved and fought. The Reavers still killed everyone else but I somehow survived. Dispair is a sin"
                            "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                            George Mason
                            Co-author of the Second Amendment
                            during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

"Able" rather inobtrusively listens in to the conversation. As Chin walks away, he falls into step behind him.

"Despair, yes, despair is a sin. One of the deadly sins. I take it that you are a believer?"

Chin turns back startled, then ponders that their newfound shipmate might be a philosopher of sorts. "Able" speaks again.

"Many things I have believed, and many of them I have learned to un-believe. But those sins and their consequences are something that I have seen time and again to be true in the 'verse."

With that, Able ambles away........

Comment

!"

Phaing was staring hard at Chin when he made that remark about Despair, wondering what he knew... and when Able says his bit her jaw just drops.

After a long moment she just shakes her head and mutters, "You two guys are gonna get along just fine!" and starts to leave in a huff ... and pauses. The poor guy is just trying to help, after all.
                                "Um, yeah, thanks. Despair is over-rated anyway."

Up at the Bridge, she'll notice the tension between Ogii and the pilot with the impossible name. "Howdy. Seems to me we might need personal commo gear, ya think?" said with just enough of a grin to make it seem like more of a suggestion than a complaint. "Hey Ogii, your pea-shooter won't be much help in a ship-to-ship fight. If we get jumped, why don't you come back to the gun-station and watch how I do it?"
                                "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X