No announcement yet.

Firefly Chapter 1- Xaing Zhau and Beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "Chinese bint" glances at Ogilvy when he makes that remark, shrugs, and offers him one of the Doughnuts, still stuck to the end of one of those daggers.
    Courage is a virtue she can respect.

She gives the pilot an odd look, he seems to have no respect for firepower. A slug-thrower that throws 20-pound slugs is nothing to sneeze at, after all.
    If the sights work right, they are bound to have a longer range than some silly harpoon gun.
    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Chin could only smile in amusement. Sleeping in the warm generator shack rather than in the common cells of the monastery was a responsibilty privelige that his skills earned him.

"This will do nicely Captain."

While the other crew members discussed sleeping arrangements, Brother Chin pulled out the worn whisk broom he carried in his shoulder bag, swept clean a two meter square of deck in the corner of the engine compartment, rolled out his beddint and hung up his pack.

As he performed the daily martial exercises Chin Rogov's mind wandered. He considered that the ship detection sensors could be paused for several seconds at a time, should this vessel fall into the wrong hands.

He went through the various methods of rendering a Reaver unconscious snce they did not reportedly succumb to fear or pain.

He reviewed the in his mind the schematics of the ship so as to know what might be of use from the various junk heaps and planet side bazzaars selling parts.

He watched and listened to his crewmates to determine how he might best serve them as a harmonious part of the crew.

All in all, this was a very different environment for Chin Sanchez Rogov, with violent people much for him to learn. He realized that his education, though nothing like that available on the core worlds, made him stand out. he had been a fool to so assume that the walled monastery, the refusal to choose sides between the Core and the rebels and the justified reputation his brothers and sisters had as tough defenders meant that they were secure from the Black. He must learn to live in the universe as it was.
      "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
      George Mason
      Co-author of the Second Amendment
      during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

Damn Good Stuff

This looks VERY Good - Well done Guys

Like I have said on another Thread - I never saw Firefly / Serenity - so this is all a bit new to me.

This is entertaining though - well done
        G.M. - Sci Fi Game - the "Krissyverse"
        Darius Jarvinger - Prime Minister of The Phoenix Confederation
        Kris Martins - President of Attican Republic
        Kaar Kristoff - Minister of Interior of The Phoenix Confederation

Comment

Rolf watched his new crew disperse into their individual cabins. A couple looked to be trouble later on, some seemed harmless. Anyway, that was thoughts for alter times, they seemed to be a good lot.

He wandered up to the cabin and plonked himself down in the co-pilots seat. Slavimor soon followed, having stowed his gear. "Ok Slav, this used to be an Alliance ship so the contro ..."

"No, I'm good"

Rolf looked at the pilot with a puzzled expression, where had he flown Alliance equipment before? Whatever his experience he soon had the Gabriel flying toward shadow at 3/4 burn. He clapped him on the back, a move he didn't acknowledge, and moved down the corridor, toward the engine room.

He looked down into the weapons room and a chill hit him, Phiang was simply staring at the weapons controls with a wry smile on her face, somehow she knew Rolf was watching, and gave him a lazy salute.

Freaky girl aside, Rolf moved into the engine room, where it seemed the Monk had chosen to sleep, one more cabin for someone else he thought. Harvard was also in the room, and he and the Monk were chatting about the engines animatedly. "Yep, that's not never gonna be shiny, see the grav coupling?" Harvard asked the monk "Why, yes I do perceive this problem" the Monk replied in mellifluous tones, before turning to the Capitan "This ship needs a new grav coupling, lest you enjoy Zero G?"

"Yeah Cap, she needs fixin, and fastlike"

"How long do I have, you dirty duo?"

"Three days"

"I'll take my chances, you just keep her flying, Shiny?"

and with a grumble Harvard got back to work, while the monk watched on.

Rolf then entered the Dining area, to spot Ogilvy rummaging through the Rations. "you hunting for something?" Ogilvy whirled around guiltily "Oh, Uh, I was just seeing what eats we had in store for the trip." he looked down distastefully "Protein Packs and a few ounces of spices, and some nasty looking canned food"

"Well son, this 'aint the El Dorado"

"Yeah yeah, I know" Ogilvy then tried to leave the room, before Rolf's outstretched arm blocked him

"What did you do son? you're too young to be out on your own, and you look like you come from a mighty wealthy family"

"It's none of your business"

"Oh yes it is sonny, I'd like to know if I had some murderer running around my boat, well, a murderer I can't control.

You go crazy, you die, hear?"

"Yes, I'm not a madman"

and with that he left. Rolf shook hid head and went to pack away the scattered foodpacks.

"We'll be lucky if we don't kill each other before the Reavers come, Ahh well, take what you get guess."
          Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

Phaing checks the guns over from top to bottom, even asking for permission to fire a test-burst if there is ammunition enough (she crawled into the bin and had a look at how much is there, not trusting the automated read-out... tiny can be a great advantage)
            Also asks if she can EVA to inspect the barrels. Yes, at 3/4ths burn, you have a tether-line, don't you?

In the very likely event she is refused on both counts, she shrugs and goes off to have a look at the rest of the ship.

A quick chat with the pilot, in one of the most roomy bridges ever seen in such a small ship, and then back to the engine room, where she nearly runs into Chin.

"Hello my fellow yellow," she says casually to the only other Asian on board. "What quiet feet you have!" She sees his little camping space, and shakes her head. "So... how long do we have before this all turns to fay tyeh {scrap iron} back here?"
            Clearly, his living in the engine room does not inspire confidence in the reliability of this ship.
            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Harvard stepped up to Phaing, "Excuse me, Miss Phaing, but I hope you can operate the cannons. I only as because me and Rogov the Whisk will be working our butts off patching this bucket together if we get in a fire-fight."

He didn't wait for her answer. Some scrote had hidden his favourite wrench, Bessie the Persuader, and he felt just a lttle naked without her. Not that the other tools weren't as good, but Bessie doubled as a hammer and trebled as a club.

He had a look at Phaing's car - the lubricant was still dripping into the cup he'd put underneath it. He paused, caught between the necessity of doing a survey of the ship and the need to repair this insult to engineering....

The ship won. Harvard tried to figure a route that would keep him away from the bike until all critical systems had been checked.
              "Yo, Chin Rogov the Whisk, follow me. We've got work!"

Comment

Thats when Rolf checked the Hold.

Stead of the clean emptiness he expected, there was a car sitting where the goods were going.

A Gorram Car.

How it got on board, Rolf would probably never know.

However, it did have a use. He grabbed his portable PA link "Phiang, man the cannons if you please.", then turned to the busy Harvard "Think you can put a rocket on this here piece o scarp metal?"

Comment

Ogilvy was last into the kitchen, again. as he was on morning duty for the living quarters, he relished the chance for extra sleep, even if being on a ship again made him wake every morning in a cold sweat. the packet of breaky rations was open on the table, with one grease stained, petrol stained packet left- opened. silently fuming he shouldered his greasy burden, and prepared his food. Disgusting. Wanting to know whats on the menu is one thing, but opening to check, leaving petroleum pawprints all over the rations and then choosing another is quite another.
                  Propaganda is to a democracy what the bludgeon is to a totalitarian state.
                  ~Noam Chomsky

Comment

"Aye-" Phaing starts to say to Harvard... and stops wasting her breath the moment he turns away. With a shrug at Chin, she heads off to continue her stroll, and sees that damn car in the cargo bay. "Now, how the hell did that get there?" She says out loud, glancing at the Captain. "Don't look at me, I abandoned that silly thing at the station, keys and all."

And off she goes to the weapons station, calling back over her shoulder "Let me know if you want an accurate count of the shells remaining for the guns".

Having already run through some tests, Phaing can have it up and running very quickly.... has the Captain authorized a live-fire test yet? At the very least, they ought to pop a round or two off just to see if the things re-load the right way....
                    Last edited by The Exorcist; 14 Mar 11, 04:49.
                    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Side notes-

((added something above))

Phaing has her Daggers and her Derringer with her at all times, and now has that SMG strapped to her right thigh (similar to the way Zoe had her Winchester).

Easily bored, she swings the turret through it's full range of motion, again, and peers through the sights to see if there might be anything lurking nearby.
                      "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Rolf kicked the improvised rocket strapped to the car, Igniting it and sending it flying out the open airlock, singeing his Suit a little.

Time to see if Phaing has any competency with shipborne weapons ...

Comment

"I hope you checked the trunk first, Boss!"
                          Phaing whips the turret around and tracks the car, and can barely suppress a giggle... that thing looks even more goofy floating in the Black than it did sitting in the bay.

She does her best to nail it with one shot, and even if that hits, another one for good measure. Then a look at the boards to make sure the re-load cycles properly.
                          "Got any more trash to toss out?"
                          "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Chin had not realized how much he had taken the orderly schedule of the monastery for granted. Brothers and sisters and the occasional companion all blended into the serenity of the order as did Chin.

After a few days of being disturbed by the pilot Slavimor's loud, late night music, Brother Chin mentioned it to him.

"Friend pilot. I have observed that my meditiations have become less effective when other sounds intrude upon my calm. I require your assistance, if you please. On the other hand I have noticed that music is inspiring to the peace of others. I have taken the liberty of fabricating a wireless earphone module for your entertainment box. It actually has more entertainment options and better fidelity than the speaker of the system. your assistance would be greatly appreciated. If these are not satisfactory I will try at designing better ones."
                            Last edited by Cyberknight; 14 Mar 11, 12:43.
                            "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                            George Mason

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                              A quick chat with the pilot, in one of the most roomy bridges ever seen in such a small ship, and then back to the engine room, where she nearly runs into Chin.

"Hello my fellow yellow," she says casually to the only other Asian on board. "What quiet feet you have!" She sees his little camping space, and shakes her head. "So... how long do we have before this all turns to fay tyeh {scrap iron} back here?"
                              Clearly, his living in the engine room does not inspire confidence in the reliability of this ship.
                              Chin bows as he doesn't really understand if a rank system applies on this ship.

"I think that with a modicum of care and some lubricant, this engine room can be made into an efficient repair area. There is a story about a tribe of desert nomads on Earth That Was who were able to keep running many of the ground vehicles belonging to more advanced people passing through.

This feat they managed by carefully dismantling each part while and assistant wrote down or drew where it came from. they then carefully cleaned each small piece of metal, lubricated it if it required oil, and then put the whole thing back together again. I expect we can get this equipment a lot further on with some basic maintainenece.

I made a list of the parts that wouldlikely increase the efficiency of the ship but regretably my lack of experience leads me to believe that it could use a complete overhaul."
                              George Mason

Comment

Originally posted by broderickwells View Post
                                Harvard stepped up to Phaing, "Excuse me, Miss Phaing, but I hope you can operate the cannons. I only as because me and Rogov the Whisk will be working our butts off patching this bucket together if we get in a fire-fight."

He didn't wait for her answer. Some scrote had hidden his favourite wrench, Bessie the Persuader, and he felt just a lttle naked without her. Not that the other tools weren't as good, but Bessie doubled as a hammer and trebled as a club.

He had a look at Phaing's car - the lubricant was still dripping into the cup he'd put underneath it. He paused, caught between the necessity of doing a survey of the ship and the need to repair this insult to engineering....

The ship won. Harvard tried to figure a route that would keep him away from the bike until all critical systems had been checked.
                                "Yo, Chin Rogov the Whisk, follow me. We've got work!"
                                Chin was fascinated by the workings of the engine itself and the very temporary methods used to keep them in working order.

"I am at your disposal, chief engineer." he then smiled and gave wink, "It looks to me as if my whisk and a lot of elbow grease will be needed just to see some of this mess before I can guess at what to do with it. I am most fortunate to have a more experienced hand to guide mine."
                                George Mason

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X