Wargaming 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wargaming 101

Wargames are awesome, and so many are popping up every now and then on here, its great!

However, many people seem to be coming off these great methods of entertainment, it seems we need a guide to Hosting and Participating in Wargames on ACG.

Rule 1.

Time! You need Heaps of time to Host a game, at least three hours a week for a small scale one and about ten for one the size of Exorcists. As a player, you only need a small timeframe, but it is vital, vital that you do put in the time and effort, these games are like a bank, you only get what you put in.

Rule 2.

Setting! You need to have a setting that is both interesting to you and your players, as an example, Koingerdammerung, My Medieval Wargame, had a rather hazy setting, and both players and, I'm ashamed to say, GM lost interest within a few months, however if the setting is extremely interesting and flexible, you have room to work with, such as the Sci Fi wargame. Since it's set in the future, the GM (me) has complete control over everything, allowing me to bring in new elements without disrupting realism.

Rule 3.

Orders! Every wargame needs a defined way of placing orders, without this the players orders may be mixed up, misinterpreted and not even read! (see WW1 ), an established format needs to be set and followed rigorously.

I Applaud Ex for his current system, which is working brilliantly

Rule 4.

Balance! Every Wargame needs to be balanced, without balance one "Team" is at a severe disadvantage, and will not enjoy the game, while the other team will quickly get bored of easy victories. This is the greatest problem with historical Wargames, as it's hard to mix Balance and Historical Accuracy. Its best if the GM twists time a little, both events before and during the Wargame, to make up for these disadvantages.

Feel free to add on, this thread can become a living manual for GM's present and Future.
    Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Although you kinda touched on this I want to emphasize Numbers you want to know what your working with for money and numbers if your hosting and def if your playing. Put alot of time into finding numbers on everything. Also (and agian Dashy kinda touched on this) Organization Be prepared for absolute chaos. I was not and had to shut down the wargames I was hosting. You need to have lists of data at home depicting numbers of players, units, equipment, munitions, money ect ect. Also look into more experienced players games it helped me alot. Also play a couple of game before you start hosting one. And, it sounds dumb but, Believe in your self And dont try to find somone else to run your ideas. I found out that its kinda dumb and no one wants to do it.
    Proud Christian.

And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgement.
    Philippians 1:9

Comment

Players should realize they are playing a GAME and not get all touchy and RAGEQUIT the moment something goes somewhat awry in terms of their long term aims.

hmm...

HMMMMMM!
      Propaganda is to a democracy what the bludgeon is to a totalitarian state.
      ~Noam Chomsky

Comment

Time and commitment are absolutely right. It is a massive commitment for the GM and a significant one for the players.

Also the GM needs to have a good understanding of the game and the scenario.

Quite agree about agreed procedures for orders and communications as well - in the Narwhal game, there was a period when German High Command was ignoring the social group set up by his generals an there were two completely separate conversations going on. I thought that was actually quite appropriate, given the situation, so didn't push them to sort themselves out - but in another game I might have done.

It's also important that the GM gives the players the right amount of information. Players need to be able to make informed choices about strategy, but in many strategic games there is actually too much information to be able to convey or comprehend through forum posts. So the GM needs to decide what level of info they're going to pass on. Too much and the players can't find the relevant stuff, too little and they feel more like they're spectators.

Obviously it's also helpful if players actually read briefings provided and try to understand which bits of the information provided will actually drive their strategy ;-)

I wouldn't worry *too* much about balance. It's not like these games are serious competitions: if anyone spots a great strategy during the course of one of these games then, well, they can never exploit it because it's unlikely the game will ever be played again on these forums. Obviously it's important that games are fair enough that all sides feel challenged for the whole of the game.
        My board games blog: The Brass Castle

Comment

Make sure there's practicality. For example, a player planning a revolution not 3 turns into the game? Not practical, and shouldn't be allowed to happen.

I'd like to also add about a type of game I borrowed from Comrade Sn1P3r (a forum member who was on another forum before this) and basically, you still get the setting and BG like you would any other wargame, lay down rules, etc. In this type, there's about 8 players, and the way we're doing it, it's a zombie game (The Risen Dead) so all players work together. The GM will give info, and then some options that the players have to make a majority vote on. I'll use different dice to see what happens with certain occurances, too. It's more of an informal type I guess, but still is fun and interesting.
          "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X