1st Balkans War (1912-1913) Wargame.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Balkans War (1912-1913) Wargame.

Okay this is running. Rules: The rules are pretty lax. You must provide your own maps for this wargame. I suggest "Free Map of Balkan Peninsula 1900 from the internet Map Archive." http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/...ula%201900.htm

Right now choose your forces. The Ottoman Empire is non-playable and will be controlled by myself. (sorry) Aviable are Bulgaria

Bulgaria was militarily the most powerful of the four states, with a large, well-trained and well-equipped army.[2] Bulgaria mobilized a total of 599,878 men out of a population of 4.3 million.[3] The Bulgarian field army counted for nine infantry divisions, one cavalry division and 1,116 artillery units.[2] Commander in Chief was Tsar Ferdinand, while the actual command was in the hands of his deputy, General Michail Savov. The Bulgarians also possessed a small navy of six torpedo boats, which were restricted to operations along the country's Black Sea coast.[16]
    Bulgaria's war aims were focused on Thrace and Macedonia. It deployed its main force in Thrace, forming three armies. The First Army (79,370 men), under general Vasil Kutinchev with three infantry divisions, was deployed to the south of Yambol, with direction of operations along the Tundzha river. The Second Army (122,748 men), under general Nikola Ivanov, with two infantry divisions and one infantry brigade, was deployed west of the First and was assigned to capture the strong fortress of Adrianople (Edirne). According to the plans, the Third Army (94,884 men), under general Radko Dimitriev, was deployed east of and behind the First, and was covered by the cavalry division hiding it from the Turkish view. The Third Army had three infantry divisions and was assigned to cross the Stranja mountain and to take the fortress of Kirk Kilisse. The 2nd (49,180) and 7th (48,523 men) divisions were assigned independent roles, operating in Western Thrace and eastern Macedonia respectively.

Serbia
    Further information: Order of battle of the Serbian Army in the First Balkan War
    Serbia called upon about 255,000 men (out of a population of 2,912,000 people) with about 228 guns, grouped in 10 infantry divisions, two independent brigades and a cavalry division, under the effective command of former War Minister Radomir Putnik.[3] The Serbian High Command, in its pre-war wargames, had concluded that the likeliest site of the decisive battle against the Ottoman Vardar Army would be on the Ovče Pole plateau, before Skopje. Hence, the main forces were formed in three armies for the advance towards Skopje, while a division and an independent brigade were to cooperate with the Montenegrins in the Sanjak of Novi Pazar.
    The First Army (132,000 men) was commanded by General Petar Bojović, and was the strongest in number and force, forming the center of the drive towards Skopje. The Second Army (74,000 men) was commanded by General Stepa Stepanović, and consisted of one Serbian and one Bulgarian (7th Rila) division. It formed the left wing of the Army and advanced towards Stracin. The inclusion of a Bulgarian division was according to a pre-war arrangement between Serbian and Bulgarian armies, but that division ceased to obey orders of Gen. Stepanović as soon as the war began, followed only the orders of the Bulgarian High Command. The Third Army (76,000 men) was commanded by General Božidar Janković and, being the right-wing army, had the task to liberate Kosovo and then join the other armies in the expected battle at the Ovče Polje. There were also two other concentrations in northwestern Serbia across the Serbo-Austrohungarian borders, the Ibar Army (25,000 men) under General Mihail Zhivkovich and the Javor brigade (12,000 men) under Lt Colonel Milovoje Anđelković.

Greece
    Further information: Order of battle of the Hellenic Army in the First Balkan War

Greece, a state of 2,666,000 people,[4] was considered the weakest of the three main allies, since it fielded the smallest army and had suffered an easy defeat against the Ottomans 16 years before in the Greco-Turkish War of 1897. In the words of a British consular dispatch from 1910, "if there is war we shall probably see that the only thing Greek officers can do besides talking is to run away".[17] However Greece had a strong navy, which was vital to the League, as it could prevent Ottoman reinforcements from being rapidly transferred by ship from Asia to Europe. This fact was readily appreciated by the Serbs and Bulgarians, and was the chief factor in initiating the process of Greece's inclusion in their alliance.[18] As the Greek ambassador to Sofia put it during the subsequent negotiations that led to Greece's entry in the League: "Greece can provide 600,000 men for the war effort. 200,000 men in the field, and the fleet will be able to stop 400,000 men being landed by Turkey between Salonica and Gallipoli."[16]
    The army was still undergoing reorganization by a French military mission when the war began. Under its supervision, the Greeks had adopted the triangular infantry division as their main formation, but more importantly, the reorganization allowed the country to field and equip a far greater number of troops than it had in 1897: while foreign observers estimated a mobilized force of approximately 50,000 men, the Greek Army fielded 125,000, with another 140,000 in the National Guard and reserves.[4][17] Upon mobilization, this force was grouped in two field armies. The Army of Thessaly (Στρατιά Θεσσαλίας) was placed under Crown Prince Constantine, with Lt Gen Panagiotis Danglis as his chief of staff, but the real organizational and strategic mind behind the scene was Major (later General) Ioannis Metaxas. It fielded seven infantry divisions, a cavalry regiment and four independent Evzones battalions, roughly 100,000 men. It was expected to overcome the fortified Ottoman border positions and advance towards south and central Macedonia, aiming to take Thessaloniki and Bitola.
    Further 10,000 to 13,000 men in eight battalions were assigned to the Army of Epirus (Στρατιά Ηπείρου) under Lt Gen Konstantinos Sapountzakis, which was intended to advance into Epirus. As it had no hope of capturing its heavily fortified capital, Ioannina, its initial mission was simply to pin down the Ottoman forces there until sufficient reinforcements could be sent from the Army of Thessaly after its successful conclusion of operations.
    The Greeks had a relatively modern navy, strengthened by the purchase of numerous new units and undergoing reforms under the supervision of a British mission. The mission, invited by Prime Minister Venizelos in 1910, began its work upon its arrival in May 1911. Granted extraordinary powers and under the energetic leadership of Vice Admiral Lionel Grand Tufnell, it thoroughly reorganized the Navy Ministry and dramatically improved the number and quality of exercises in gunnery and fleet maneuvres.[19] In 1912, the core unit of the fleet was the fast armoured cruiser Averof, completed in 1910 and at that time the most modern and fast of any other battleship in the combatant navies.[20] It served along with the three rather antiquated battleships of the Hydra class. There were also eight destroyers built in 1906–1907, and six new destroyers that were hastily bought in summer 1912 as the imminence of war became apparent.[19]
    However, at the outbreak of the war, the Greek fleet was still far from ready. In terms of number of ships, speed of the main surface units and, more importantly, in the number and caliber of the ship's guns, the Ottomans had a clear advantage.[21] In addition, the war caught the fleet in the middle of its expansion and reorganization. As a result, fully a third of the fleet (the six new destroyers and the submarine Delfin) only reached Greece after hostilities had started, necessitating a reshuffling of crews. Coal stockpiles and other war stores were in short supply, while the Averof herself had arrived with barely any ammunition, and would remain so until late November.[22]

Montenegro did not have a regular army. Their armed forces were a kind of militia organised on a tribal basis, with the chiefs of the tribes as their officers. The have about 40-45,000 rifle men. These guys are pretty much the Scotts of the Balkans and will almost never surrender. They lack just about everything to fight a modern war. They do not need supply lines as they can live off the country. However if their morale droppes they will desert in droves. Think of it like Geo. Washington commanding the infant American Army. When you win you get recruits, when you lose people desert. Who ever has these guys will really have to work to keep them under controll and fighting. (all of this except Montenegro was taken from wikipedia)
    Proud Christian.

And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgement.
    Philippians 1:9

I'll play as Bulgaria I guess.
    A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

Ok. Make sure you have a map cuz you're gonna need it. Also I suggest that if you're not already somthing of an expert on the Balkans Wars you read up on them on wikipedia and anywhere else. We'll get started on this when we have some more people.
      Proud Christian.

And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgement.

Comment

Nice map, but I don't see Mostar (Moastir?) , an important base east of Albania.

Tempted to take Monte, but didn't they spend the war trying, and failing, to take a Huge fort in their territory?

Greece looks good, let me get back to you on that one, I need to find out how long the game is and how much time I have for this one.
        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
          Nice map, but I don't see Mostar (Moastir?) , an important base east of Albania.

Tempted to take Monte, but didn't they spend the war trying, and failing, to take a Huge fort in their territory?

Greece looks good, let me get back to you on that one, I need to find out how long the game is and how much time I have for this one.
          Monastir was called Bitola at the time (I think it's marked as Bitolia on the map).

Okay, I guess I'll take Serbia unless someone already has them.

Comment

You got 'em. @Exorcist on the montenegrins I figured some enterprising individual would ignore that fort. As to how long this game will be I'm not positive as it really depends on what you guys do. A word on Greece: I think Nikolas93TS was looking to command them so I want to leave the Greeks open to him untill it's obvious he's not playing.
            Proud Christian.

Comment

We need just two more players and then we'll get started.
              Proud Christian.

Comment

Okay, I'm coming off the fence--

I will take Montenegro.
                They has some artillery, but it was kinda pathetic.
                Looks like I'll have Serbia's right flank, which means I need to know exactly where Albania stands and the location of that base I was talking about.

Got the rules, will you set up a Social Group, or does the fact that Turkey is an NPC mean we don't need one?
                "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

I dont see the need for a social group but I'm fairly unfamiliar with its purpose.
                  Proud Christian.

Comment

September 30th 1912.

Alright we're gonna start without Greece. On the date in the title the Balkan League capitals are alerted to a massive Turkik withdrawl of the Vardar (Hq in Skopje/Uskub) and Thessaly(based on the Pistritza river) armies towards Salonika. Scouts report that a provisional port has been constructed on the opposite side of the Salonika peninsula from the Salonika port. Its exact capabilities are unknow. The Ottoman Empire has declared Albania to be autonomous (boundries marked out on http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/...ula%201900.htm ) leaving it favorably disposed to the Turks. Albania has also displayed some aggresive behaviour; launching small raids on Montenegro and sniping across the border. The Turkik armed forces have abandoned the fortresses of Sanzak and Shkoder in the Montegrin theater stripping the emplacements of their artillery and largely destroying the forts.

The Tukish army based at Adrianople has begun extensive fortification and entrenchment. Total strength of Turkish forces is unknown. Believed to be around 325,000 total troops in E.Europe. The Thracian Ottoman army (Hq in Adrianople) is believed to be about 120,000 total troops incl. about 100,000 regulars and 20,000+ possibly unreliable garrison troops. Total artillery is unknown as the turks have possibly created mock weapons out of logs and wagons ect. Total count in E.Europe is about 1,203 guns of unknown caliber. The Vardar and Thessalian Turkish armies incl. about 200,000 total troops. Total artillery for this army group is unknown as the Turks have been stripping artillery from fixed positions it is believed that the number is around 550+ pieces of art. of various calibers the biggest of which is a battery of 6 15cm Howitzers. The Greek government began mobilisation but didnot declare war. The city of Thessolonika (not marked on the map) is abandoned the arms depot there being stripped of anything of value. What Next Generals?
                    Last edited by david&joushua; 02 Feb 11, 09:58.
                    Proud Christian.

Comment

I want Serbia!

My grand-grand father fought in that war and earned medal with golden watch. (only the second survive to this day).

I propose Greece to a very able naval commander.

Turkey is also a very challenging player.If they beat Greece at sea,well they will see plenty of land counter offensive against Balkan league.
                      It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
                      Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

I'm sorry Nikolas I thought you'd be after Greece so broderickwells has Serbia. Greece is still open if you want it. Sorry about that.
                        Proud Christian.

Comment

Ok

then I have the hardest job...
                          It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
                          Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

Well, the King of Montenegro is Nicholas 1, and he's riding with his army.

First step is to grab the land that Fort was on, and scrounge around in that rubble to find anything useful. At the same time, my fastest troops, either Cavalry or mounted infantry (comes to the same thing in 1912) are to dash Northeast to make contact with Serbia. Communications must be established quickly so that we can coordinate our march Southeast.

The Army is to divide as follows;
                            20k moving out for the big push to Monastir//Bitola, in cooperation with the Serbs.
                            5k making contact with the Serbs, and then rejoicing the main group.
                            5k troops remain at home, as a reserve and to watch the coast, ready to join me wehn needed.
                            10k- "flank guard"... watching Albania. All of my crappy old cannon, and two of the modern ones, will be given to these men as they dig in at the border crossings... those guns will officially be known as counter-sniper weapons.

I have been told that Montenegro has a few batteries of 120mm Krupp guns, I hope to hire some German Mercenaries who know best how to use them. If I only have 12, then 10 are coming with the main body of the Army.

Diplomacy;
                            I am sending an emissary to Albania, carrying a bucket of rubble from the Fort that was blown and evacuated. In his other hand will be a telegram confirming our alliance with Serbia, Bulgaria and Greece.
                            Is it Albania's intention, truly, to tie it's future to what is commonly known as the "sick man" of Europe? After the way Italy just trounced them, I should hope not.
                            I implore my neighbor to refrain from the traditional fun & games we hillfolk engage in for just this year. Today, my business is with slant-eyed Anatolians, not my fellow mountain men.
                            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

@Exorcist your diplomacy is partially successful ending most overt hostilities for the time being and a tribe of Albanians has volunteered to fight alongside of your troops adding a battalion of mounted inf. to your forces. In your contact with the Albanians they reveal the presence of Turkik-Albanian agitators in the southern area of Albania. With money and some weapons they are attempting to stir the Albanians into a deep suspiciousness of their neighbors.
                              Proud Christian.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X