Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you structure the military of your 3rd or 2nd world NON fictional country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you structure the military of your 3rd or 2nd world NON fictional country?

Me and Stryker are in discussion about running a game of sorts. I'm sure many of you remember his African Army thread. This is intended to be a more complex version of that. Nothing has been finalized at this point, all we have established is we are going to do one in the future. Which could be a 1 month or 4 months away. So don't hold your breath.

However it still will be done in the future, so given that, I decided to start planning now. That being said, we have yet to decide any specifics. So we're open to suggestions.

Basically the idea is, you will be the leader of a country, a real country, and this country will be involved in an alternate time lime happening now. Your country will likely be going to war soon, and you will have to make numerous economic, political, and military choices.

The military choices will be strategic for the most part, but of course operations and tactics are what largely shape military strategy, along with political goals that is, but obviously you will have no control over the latter though. As your political situation will be given to you.

So, again, we are open to suggestions regarding what countries should be involved.

Please consider the following when making your suggestions:

1.Your country (Remember, its a real one), should be 3rd or 2nd world preferably, with a military that is not already very formidable.

2. Preferably a country that has neighbors that it could likely fight for legitimate reasons.

3. Ideally your country, and other belligerent countries and or factions (In the case of fighting insurgents or guerrillas), will have sufficient information available regarding their current military. As we will be making a proper OOB and TO&E, so you can know specifically what you have to work with.

4. This country should not have military alliances with global powers. While the global powers will obviously be your country's source of arms, we're ruling out countries that can easily acquire funds, hardware and training because of such alliances. This rules out countries like Colombia. It is up to you to figure out how to establish alliances through agreements to get friends that can help you beyond just selling you stuff.

5. Finally, while I did say 2nd or 3rd world country, we want to choose a country that has the capability to expand their forces. (They have significant resources that can fund it)

This is just brainstorming, so I can get an idea of how many people would be interested in this or what countries people would want to have involved. Please note that this will be much more formal and serious than Stryker's old "game". This is more of a contest of sorts, where the person that submits the best plan wins.

I'll let this go on for a week or 2, then me and Stryker will discuss things and then hopefully get this up and running eventually.
    Last edited by Destroyer25; 17 Oct 10, 20:59.
    A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Hmmm; I'll take Singapore or Malaysia as 1st choice.
    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
      Hmmm; I'll take Singapore or Malaysia as 1st choice.
      Clearly you didn't read everything....

Singapore is a 1st world, economic powerhouse with American backing, with an established military which very modern and very well trained. That violates several terms. So it would really be unfair. If you were to take Singapore, you'd smash Malaysia, and if you were to take Malaysia, you would be smashed.
      A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

Originally posted by Destroyer25 View Post
        Clearly you didn't read everything....

Singapore is a 1st world, economic powerhouse with American backing, with an established military which very modern and very well trained. That violates several terms. So it would really be unfair. If you were to take Singapore, you'd smash Malaysia, and if you were to take Malaysia, you would be smashed.
        4. This country should not have established friends or enemies in the form of global powers. (USA, UK, France, Russia, China, Germany, or any other country that can supply you or your enemy with deadly technology, equipment, or large amounts of monetary aid)

That knocks just about every country out of the running. Nobody in Asia would qualify Nor the Middle East. Nor South or Central America. All you got left is central Africa. Why not make fictional countries? But I'm out. Do as you will.
        Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
          4. This country should not have established friends or enemies in the form of global powers. (USA, UK, France, Russia, China, Germany, or any other country that can supply you or your enemy with deadly technology, equipment, or large amounts of monetary aid)

That knocks just about every country out of the running. Nobody in Asia would qualify Nor the Middle East. Nor South or Central America. All you got left is central Africa. Why not make fictional countries? But I'm out. Do as you will.
          Agreed -- the countries that don't have this kind of alliance (disregarding UN membership) leave pretty slim pickings
          Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
          Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
          http://www.mormon.org
          http://www.sca.org
          http://www.scv.org/
          http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Remeber, every nation in the world has ties with either Russia, China, South Korea or America, you've ruled out many african nations.

redefine avalible nations perhaps?
            Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I didn't really mean no ties. I meant no friends that would be willingly to hand out military support in excessive quantities for nothing in exchange.

Comment

Edited the original.

Comment

If I can't have Canada, can I have New Zealand?

Pruitt
                  Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post

Pruitt
                    2. Preferably a country that has neighbors that it could likely fight for legitimate reasons.
                    who are they going to fight? the cook islands?

besides, they have a lasting allaince with australia, and no-one ticks off australia and wins.

can I has congo?

Comment

Depending on the day of the week and whether a coup has happened, there may be two Congos to choose from. Besides, I believe New Zealand qualifies as a third rate military power. Even Fiji has a bigger Army.

Pruitt

Comment

Pruitt
                        Sorry, I think we've already exhausted that one. There would be no challenge in deciding what to do with their military seeing how we've debated it extensively. Canada is no a no either, we're fairly formidable as it is (Even more so once we get those F-35s and new ships), we have nobody to fight and we're NATO.

Think Africa, South America and maybe Asia.

Tanzania vs Uganda, Ecuador vs Peru, and some of the "Stans" have crossed my mind.

Central America is also a possibility.

Comment

Depending on the day of the week and whether a coup has happened, there may be two Congos to choose from. Besides, I believe New Zealand qualifies as a third rate military power. Even Fiji has a bigger Army.

Pruitt
                          yes, but economic and diplomatically? we were head of the UN security council at one time, and due to good relations with smaller countries (Apparently) control a large number of votes in the UN.

Comment

I want New Zealand precisely because of its economy. Diplomacy is neither here nor there. I am thinking that if you combine a third world military with a first world economy you would get a second power rating. The first thing I would do is draft all those Labor Party members into the military. It would be only fair...

Pruitt

Comment

Well I'm thinking, just for the sake of play, just doing either South America or Africa, simply beacuse of the number of countries and thier militaries low level of development.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X