No announcement yet.

Op. Narwhal - OKW - German Invasion of Britain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I never ever thought I would say this, but we need more Stukas.
    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• Originally posted by craven View Post
      can you guys get one more division or regiment into the port that cut off.
      That seems like a great bang for your buck fight they got to keep you surrounded which looks like a three to one exchange as far as keeping enemy troops tied down
      You do have a point, but if they land and get captured then we're out some troops. If sending in 1 Regiment is feasible I'm in support. Urban warfare favors the defenders, unless the Canucks are there that is, but at this point we're not quite the best at it yet.
      A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

• Land deployments

Along the front, clockwise from the South/west end

Eastbourne: 8th Division- 50% strength but well dug-in an well-supplied

North and east of Eastbourne is 28th Division, strung out over 3 hexes, also in good shape but still in hasty positions. In the hex N of Bexhill it is supported by one amphib panzer formation.

SE of Sevenoaks: 26th Division (50% strength and very worn); 15th Panzer (60% rifle strength, 90% tank strength, very worn); 10th Panzer Corps HQ; one regiment of 28th Div.

Hex S of Chatham: 8th Panzer (80% rifle strength, 95% tank strength, tired).

Hex SE of Sheerness: 33rd Division (80% strength, a little tired: will perform reasonably but will have short 'legs'); Infanterie-Regiment Grossdeutschland (80% strength).

That completes the front line.

The reserves consist of:

SE of Maidstone: 24th Infantry (100% strength, high readiness) along with 2 Amphib Pz Battalions, both at strength, one at high readiness one at reasonable readiness.

Hastings: One Amphib Pz battalion, 50% strength, moderate to poor readiness

NE of Hastings: 1st Mountain Div. 90% strength, reasonable readiness, may tire quickly.

SW of Folkestone: 17th Inf. 90% strength, reasonable readiness, may tire quickly.

NE of Maidstone: 7th Inf. 100% strength, good readiness.

Just landed around Dover: 58th Division. 100% strength, very good readiness

Landing this turn: 4th Panzer. 100% strength, very good readiness.

Note on readiness figures:

When I'm talking about "Readiness" I mean a composite of two figures in-game, Readiness and Supply. Readiness in game is a figure between 33 and 100 which is reduced by combat and only increased gradually by rest.

Supply is a figure between 0 and 150 which is reduced by combat and then increased again by the supply status of the division.

If a division is engaged in fierce fighting and then pulled out of the line, it will regain its Supply score within a few days. However it will take much longer to return to peak Readiness. So you can end up with Readiness 50 and Supply 100, giving 75 overall, which is fairly good. However after a couple of turns' movement and some light fighting it might be on Readiness 40 and Supply 40, and very poor. This is why I've flagged up that a couple of the divisions will 'tire easily' - they will fight well for a couple of turns but are not fresh.
        My board games blog: The Brass Castle

Comment

• Brighton and Bristol

FAO Exorcist - Which City Is Which Briefing

For the avoidance of doubt, Brighton is in Sussex, on the South Coast of England. It is chiefly famous for its two piers, its Pavilion constructed by George IV, lively nightlife and its gay scene. Brighton is, with Manchester and London, one of the gay capitals of Britain.

Bristol is on the West Coast of England, just south of Wales. It is a well-known port and minor industrial centre. The most famous piece of architecture is the Clifton Suspension Bridge, designed by Isembard Kingdom Brunel.

Comment

• Well, if we ever have a Lost Regiment in Bristol, let me know.
            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• September 21st. Turn 13 - Planning the offensive

On Turn 12 the Army pulled back the tired Panzer formations and put infantry units into the line. The British finally finished our garrison at Brighton.

We launched heavy raids against RAF airfields, which had mixed success - many RAF fighters were shot down but we also suffered losses to our own fighter and bomber formations. The Luftwaffe will take a few turns to recover from this exertion.

The Luftwaffe also mounted a heavy bombing effort against the Royal Navy fleet in the Channel which resulted in the RN being driven back with heavy damage to a number of battleships and several destroyers sunk.

It seems likely that the sea will remain secure for the next few turns.

You now need to consider a plan for an offensive as previously discussed, jumping off on turn 15 or 16.

The reserve you have for this offensive are:

4 Panzer Divisions (the last will arrive at Dover on turn 14) - two are fresh and two are tired.
              4 independent Panzer battalions
              One Motorized Infantry regiment
              4 or 5 fresh Infantry Divisions (6 if you take the risk of employing the weary 26th Infantry division in the line)
              One Panzer Corps HQ and 1 or 3 Infantry Corps HQs with attached artillery.
              Also available are the remaining airborne troops.

You can trade one Infantry division for two additional Infantry Corps HQs.

This is a very significant force. Obviously, the infantry divisions in the line of the sector in which you make this attack will be able to join in as well.

The British front is held with one division per hex. The British also have a reserve of at least 5 Infantry and 2 Armoured divisions and may be forming a second position along the line Brighton - Crawley - Woolwich.

Broadly speaking the directions of action open to you are:
              1) Stick to the South Coast, pushing towards Brighton then Portsmouth and Southampton, encircling the troops on the coast and then turning North towards Oxford in a broad sweep
              2) Drive a wedge between Northern and Southern parts of the British front by attacking towards Crawley then Guildford, perhaps then turning South to take Portsmouth and Southampton
              3) A drive directly towards London, then perhaps a movement in the direction of Swindon and Bristol to cut off the whole of the British Army in the south of England.

Large-scale map of the front:

Small-scale map of the broader operational area:

Comment

• London or nothing.
                Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

• If that's what is takes to win.
                  "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• The problem is, once we get there, we have to evict the occupants. And traditionally urban warfare is an attacker's nightmare and a half.
                    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                      The problem is, once we get there, we have to evict the occupants. And traditionally urban warfare is an attacker's nightmare and a half.
                      I think the key is to move through the London Underground, we need to methodically push the British out of it, then we will have tactical mobility.
                      A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

• What we won't do is bomb and shell London into a defenders paradise. What we will do is force all civilians we come across to move out of the capital - no point in feeding them as well.
                        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• Admiring Lurker

Hope you guys don't mind a post from an newbie observer, who just joined the forum.

TAOW is one of my favorites, as is WW2. You don't get much heavier on "What If?" than "Seelowe".

I've only played that scenario against the AI, but I am very impressed by the staffwork, commentary, and play-by play results.

Thanks for a Great Thread.

Hope you are not offended if I give it a shot, borrowing some of the German Tactics.

Prussian Tom54

Comment

• Originally posted by Prussian Tom54 View Post
                            Hope you guys don't mind a post from an newbie observer, who just joined the forum.

TAOW is one of my favorites, as is WW2. You don't get much heavier on "What If?" than "Seelowe".

I've only played that scenario against the AI, but I am very impressed by the staffwork, commentary, and play-by play results.

Thanks for a Great Thread.

Hope you are not offended if I give it a shot, borrowing some of the German Tactics.

Prussian Tom54
                            Glad you like it!

Do bear in mind that what we're playing here isn't the standard TOAW3 Seelowe scenario - it's modified to have one-day turns, a somewhat different setup, and more logistical challenges for the German side....

Comment

• September 26, 1940 - turn 18

On turns 13 and 14 the British launched a heavy counter-attack on a narrow front near Eastbourne, using tanks and infantry. At times this attack seemed close to breaching our lines but on each occasion it was dealt with by the bringing up of reserve divisions

Two days ago the German Army launched its great offensive in the British Isles. Panzers and their supporting infantry attacked the enemy front between Sevenoaks (north Kent) and Crowborough (East Sussex). Initially progress was slow because of the heavy fortification of the enemy but panzers and infantry, supported by the heavy artillery of three Corps, pushed the British back. We committed four Panzer divisions and an equivalent number of infantry divisions to the assault on a frontage of only some 20 miles.

On the evening of the 16th the British launched a heavy counterattack against 78th Division which happened to be our lead formation at Sevenoaks. While the 78th took heavy casualties and the British recaptured the town, there emerged a ferocious meeting engagement between English and German tanks and their supporting infantry. In this struggle we were victorious, the British being pushed back with many of their formations in some disarray.

Yesterday we exploited this success, breaking the thin remaining British line and our Panzers now approach their initial objective of Crawley. From here we will have an operational decision to make. Do we head South, attempting to encircle the two British divisions remaining in the line near Eastbourne? (They may attempt to withdraw tomorrow). Do we continue our thrust West to Guildford? Or do we attempt to move North into London, which appears to be held strongly by fresh, well-entrenched divisions?

Luftwaffe notes: The LW has been very heavily engaged recently and many wings are in need of a rest. However we can say this with a degree of satisfaction. The RAF attempted to intervene, first in the attack on Eastbourne and then by interfering with our advancing troop columns. In the latter case few RAF bombers made it to the target area, so great was the commitment of Luftwaffe fighter pilots. The RAF has taken heavy losses in both fighters and bombers.

Map: end of turn 17.

Comment

• are the numbers on the counters usually it is two number why one this time

Comment

Working...
                                X