No announcement yet.

Op. Narwhal - OKW - German Invasion of Britain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What gain do the German get from extending further to West. such as does it reduce reinforcement for the Brit or increase em for the Germans. Or reduce or increase supplies. Just wonder other than VP what the benifit of having more ground is.

Comment

• The problem is academic. Concentration versus counterconcentration. The smaller the front is, the more divisions the Brits are able to pack into it. Which since they're on the defensive means that the Germans have to put yet more divisions on the attack, and accept the correspondingly high casualties. Stretching the Front allows the Germans to concentrate their forces at a single point and break through, rather than go on a general offensive across the whole front.
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• You guys need to be serious Blitzkriegers now, stop fighting it their way and do what worked in Poland and France and all the rest.

I'm surprised it's gone on so long... I think thats a good thing... definitely interesting.
        I'm just worried about how many more Divisions the Brits are going to pull out of the air, and how far we need to go to win this?
        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
          You guys need to be serious Blitzkriegers now, stop fighting it their way and do what worked in Poland and France and all the rest.

I'm surprised it's gone on so long... I think thats a good thing... definitely interesting.
          I'm just worried about how many more Divisions the Brits are going to pull out of the air, and how far we need to go to win this?
          The Poles and the French don't have the fighting spirit the British do, and it seems that Britain has finally got some somewhat competent commanders.
          A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

• We're trying to fight the war our way. The problem was there wasn't enough front, so it was like WWI with SMGs and Tanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
              The problem is academic. Concentration versus counterconcentration. The smaller the front is, the more divisions the Brits are able to pack into it. Which since they're on the defensive means that the Germans have to put yet more divisions on the attack, and accept the correspondingly high casualties. Stretching the Front allows the Germans to concentrate their forces at a single point and break through, rather than go on a general offensive across the whole front.
              I was just wondering who stretching who. Just generically speaking it looks that you will end up holding a lot of territory while the Brits will be able to concentrate. not saying anything one way or the other just as I said a generic observation.

It probally needs to be done anyways just was wondering if there were any other benifit.

Comment

We're trying to fight the war our way. The problem was there wasn't enough front, so it was like WWI with SMGs and Tanks.
                Let's not discuss our plans in public .
                How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

The problem is academic. Concentration versus counterconcentration. The smaller the front is, the more divisions the Brits are able to pack into it. Which since they're on the defensive means that the Germans have to put yet more divisions on the attack, and accept the correspondingly high casualties. Stretching the Front allows the Germans to concentrate their forces at a single point and break through, rather than go on a general offensive across the whole front.
                  This is basically correct, so far as I can tell.

It also helps that the British kind-of have to concentrate around London, as if they concede London it does very serious damage to the Victory Point situation, and also would give the German team rather better options for further avenues of attack.

Of course it's still possible for the British to conduct an opportunistic counter-attack with a local concentration. But since the British army is weaker, particularly in armour, this is a bigger opportunity for the German side.

On the whole the British much preferred keeping the Germans bottled up in Kent.
                  My board games blog: The Brass Castle

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                    Let's not discuss our plans in public .
                    fyi this level of discussion was held on the German side of the other game quite often. Nothing detailed but enough for the spectators to understand the what and why of things. Dont need to specify your going to attack hex x on day B. But on the other hand discussing things after they have occurred allows people to see the insight in the Great plans you guys have. It was what made following the German interestign while the Allies was pretty boring to pay attention to.

Remeber you guys are the players and we are the fans And no you do not get Free Agency

Comment

• Hey, dude? Your in a wargame too.
                      "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• Originally posted by The Land View Post

On the whole the British much preferred keeping the Germans bottled up in Kent.
                        Which was what the other landings accomplished. It gave the Brits too many things to think about, and while they were busy killing off Dest's landing at Brighton, my smaller landing at Kent was heavily reinforced, and when the third landings took place, it broke the back of the British resistance in Kent proper and precipitated the retreat.

Just goes to show the old military maxim:

"The Diversion you are ignoring IS the Main Attack"

Comment

• October 2nd, 1940 - Turn 24

A quiet couple of days on land. At the very left of the line, 8th and 15th Divisions succeeded in pushing the British flank back hex or two which potentially creates a more favourable aspect for an attack on that section of the line. However, logistics in the West end of the line remain difficult.

The assault formations are resting behind the lines and we have a force of 4 panzer and 4 infantry divisions (one of the latter motorised) which is ready for orders but will benefit from a longer pause in operations. By rotating divisions into quiet sectors of the line we have been able to make sure that the infantry available, at least, are relatively fresh. However the heavy fighting to date has taken its toll on the whole army.

At sea, things have been more interesting. The Royal Navy has pushed into the Channel once more. Aerial recon spotted their heavy fleet units in the North Sea and we executed a strike with every available Stuka in Northern France and England, heavily supported by Me109s. We sunk at least one Nelson-class battleship and the British heavy ships have turned back - however RAF fighters were present in large numbers and we lost several dozen Stukas.

The British did not press the attack against our main supply head around Eastbourne and Newhaven but continued to conduct harassing operations around the rest of the coastline using cruisers and destroyers. There were more very heavy air battles over Sussex as RAF bombers attempted to attack supply ships in harbour.

OKH to advise on the direction and schedule of any future attacks. KM and LW commands to advise on what steps to take against the RN.

Map: Ground situation, showing some supply levels.

My board games blog: The Brass Castle

Comment

• Originally posted by The Land View Post
                            A quiet couple of days on land. At the very left of the line, 8th and 15th Divisions succeeded in pushing the British flank back hex or two which potentially creates a more favourable aspect for an attack on that section of the line. However, logistics in the West end of the line remain difficult.

The assault formations are resting behind the lines and we have a force of 4 panzer and 4 infantry divisions (one of the latter motorised) which is ready for orders but will benefit from a longer pause in operations. By rotating divisions into quiet sectors of the line we have been able to make sure that the infantry available, at least, are relatively fresh. However the heavy fighting to date has taken its toll on the whole army.

At sea, things have been more interesting. The Royal Navy has pushed into the Channel once more. Aerial recon spotted their heavy fleet units in the North Sea and we executed a strike with every available Stuka in Northern France and England, heavily supported by Me109s. We sunk at least one Nelson-class battleship and the British heavy ships have turned back - however RAF fighters were present in large numbers and we lost several dozen Stukas.

The British did not press the attack against our main supply head around Eastbourne and Newhaven but continued to conduct harassing operations around the rest of the coastline using cruisers and destroyers. There were more very heavy air battles over Sussex as RAF bombers attempted to attack supply ships in harbour.

OKH to advise on the direction and schedule of any future attacks. KM and LW commands to advise on what steps to take against the RN.

Map: Ground situation, showing some supply levels.

Thank you very much for the info.
                            How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                            Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• The Brigade in the center of London. The one that's a little Red Diamond on a Blue field. I'm not familiar with that one, what is it?

Comment

• Artillery
                                Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Snowshoveler
                                  Attack against Saudi Arabia
                                  by Snowshoveler
                                  Saudi Arabia’s oil infrastructure was attacked by around 10 armed drones by Yemens Houthi rebels and has caused SA to lose half their oil production....
                                  Yesterday, 17:56
                                • hobo9
                                  C-123B
                                  by hobo9
                                  Would anyone know the wheel and tire sizes (NLG & MLG) for the Fairchild C-123B Provider?
                                  Thank you,
                                  P.N....
                                  Yesterday, 17:22
                                • Mountain Man
                                  Here Comes The Gas Gouge!
                                  by Mountain Man
                                  Drone strike on Saudi oil fields...the perfect excuse for another round of gas price hikes. And I'll bet all that "excess capacity" just magically...
                                  Yesterday, 16:30
                                Working...
                                X