ACG: Brothers in Arms - IC thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1035, 18. October 1935

The aide returns, even as the low growl of light engines comes from the east of your position. He salutes, then hands over a reply wordlessly.

My dear Major von Ravenstein,

The forces of the Reichsheer are always welcome in our humble town, especially in such important days as these!

Sieg Heil,

Frank Gerhard, Mayor of Genshagen

Then from the east a dozen Zundapp motorcycles speed into view, sliding to a stop scant yards from the Major in a cloud of dust and gravel.

The leader - one Oberleutnant Reinhardt Sturm - hops out, striding up to salute von Ravenstein in turn.

"Sir,

The Oberst was unsure why you were requesting recon elements, but on the hunch that you had a plan in mind he detached myself and this Zuge from the main effort. That said, he wasn't willing to detach the only Zuge of cars we've been assigned, so..."

He shrugs, eloquently.

"Here we are. Awaiting your orders, sir."
    Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

Recon Away!
      Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

Oberleutnant Reinhardt Sturm waited patiently for orders. With the motorcycles, riders and light mgs there fire power equaled six of the panzers. Unfortunately they had no radios so signal flags would be the order of the day. But his men had trained hard to use both any terrain features that could screen their movements and how to use the small size of the motorcycle and sidecars to advance over rough ground without throwing the rider/scout of the back of the motorcycle.

Counting each driver, gunner and scout the Schnell Aufklarungs Zuge came up to 36 men. Totally the Zuge's firepower amounted to 12 LMGs, 14 pistoles, 10 rifles and 2 MP18 SMGs as well as any grenades that might be found. But the panzers will have to supply the shock and firepower once his Zuge found and fixed the enemy.

Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

i can see a plan now.

the cycles go into the village and secure it, while a small force of panzers go into a skirmish line east of the village to prevent an outflanking manuver by either enemy force, with that much firepower coupled with their lack of radio equipment using them as recce is a waste.

then the rest of the panzers+ infantry conduct a multiple sided assault in concert with that other regiment.

-Hans Ludwig

Comment

Since I'm the one that keeps on talking about the village, I'll volunteer to lead the Zuge for the Skirmishing force......
            Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

there we go!, cept with Tac's Zuge as the skirmish line.

the Zuges going around to outflank stay at least 1 K away until they are in postition then attack En Masse.

poor 1 ab.

oh grey lines= smoke
              Last edited by Dashy; 19 Sep 10, 19:25.

Comment

We still don't know if we can go into the village though do we?
                A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

I'm noting for the record that the 3 per motorcycle might be a later development. I'll wait for Khryses to make the call. And NOBODY takes the Schnell Afuklarungs Zuge except me.

Comment

Originally posted by Destroyer25 View Post
                    We still don't know if we can go into the village though do we?
                    We've been cleared to enter the village. We need to focus on getting HMGs there, as they'll be able to take up positions and provide suppression fire in support of us. Leg infantry in the village is pretty pointless, we need heavy weapons there......
                    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Hauptmann Kurt Mann is half standing, half leaning against the side of his staff car. In front of him, about 400 meters away the Battalion Commanding Officer - The Old Man - is discussing tactics with his subordinate commanders.

Mann thought of picking up his binoculars he left on his seat inside the car to look at the group discussing tactics, but finally decides not to bother.

Far in front to his left is the village of Genshagen. He can see series of small sporatic flashes likely caused by the sunlight hitting the military brass’ binoculars visiting there to observe the battalion maneuvering against a prepared defensive position.

Behind Mann, the battalion’s maintenance crew vehicles and the battalion’s ambulance.

Oberfeldwebel Frans “Rot” Bracken, his second-in-command and senior NCO, comes walking towards him.

“Should we set up our lager here, Mein Herr” asks the cheerful red-haired NCO.

“This is a as good of place as any” replies Mann. Looking at the bare-headed Bracken, he adds “Rot make sure that everyone keeps their caps on...With all the VIPs watching with their binoculars from the village over there, the last thing the Old Man needs is to get a trashing from the brass about some of his soldiers being improperly dressed. He has enough on his plate.”

“Jawold, Herr Hauptmann” answers back Bracken, as he pullls his grey cap out of his pocket and sets it on his head while glancing in the direction of the village.

Looking back at his platoon commander, Rot mentions “Bohm should be finished repairing that MG 13 firing bolt we received this morning from 2.Kompanie. Do you want me to try getting it back to its owner?”

In addition to his matt-grey painted staff car, driven by Stabsunteroffizier Erik Mayer, Mann’s platoon vehicles includes a weapon repair workshop set in one of the trucks and carrying his 3-man wepon repair crew. The rest of the platoon included a truck with a motor repair team and a workshop, a cargo truck, and a wrecker with a winch to tow trucks and panzers.

Mann directs “Bring the bolt to me when Bohm completed the repair. Mayer and I will drive up to the command group meeting overthere. I will deliver bolt to 2.Kompanie commander myself.”

Taking the hint that the conversation ended, the senior NCO walks back to the trucks to set up the lager. Seeing Mayer, he tells him to finish his cigarette and follow him to pick up the almost-like new MG bolt.
                      Last edited by Capt AFB; 19 Sep 10, 21:48.

Comment

Leaving Mayer with the vehicle about 100 meters behind the command group discussion, Mann hand the MG13 firing bolt to the Commander 2.Kompanie.

"I thought one of your crews would be happy to able to use both their machine guns for the attack" whisper Mann to the company commander, so not to disturb the on-going discussion about how to attack the enemy's position.

Deep in the discussion,the Old Man did not even notice the arrival of Hauptmann Mann, much less his military salute.

During one of the short silent pauses these discussions often have, as tactician ponders on options, Mann brings up an idea.

"Sir!" interjects Mann looking at the CO, who nods his approuval to indicate to contnue.

"Gentlemen" Mann goes on. "You mentioned the limited ammunition you have to produce smoke to conceal your movement."

Combat commanders are now looking at Mann with mix of curiosity and 'so what?' attitude.

"If smoke is required for your plans" the maintenance officer continues " May I suggest that we take some of the oil drums in my cargo truck, and
                        by pouring the oil on a open-hooded engine compartment, you can produce much smoke to conceal your movements...Depending, of course on the direction and speed of the wind (K? Speed and direction of wind please?)

"The Krupp air-cooling engines on the Pz1 A model tend to overheat anyways, so the oil would act as a coolant, in addition to producing smoke.

"You can also using this method on the more powerful Maybach water-cooling Pz1 B models, but with care not to leave the oil slip into the cooling tank.

"Sorry for the interruption. I just thought you may like to know of other options to make smoke."
                        Last edited by Capt AFB; 19 Sep 10, 22:18.

Comment

Major von Ravenstein here:

As much as I want you all to feel like you have freedom to make important decisions on your own, I would like us to adhere to THREE GOALS/MISSIONS for the unit:

1) Secure the best defensive position for our unit
                          2) Minimize casualties as best as possible but without compromising being able to take the enemy position if the situation allows for us to do so
                          3) Flank the enemy as best as possible

More specific orders are on their way TONIGHT... please have some patience and try not to overwhelm your commander with more information that needs to be processed such as positions, etc., because that will continue to delay the orders being posted. Thank you.
                          De nihilo nihil. - Persius

Nemo solus satis sapit. - Plautus

Comment

The wind is presently blowing gently West-East, for the record.
                            Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

Originally posted by Khryses View Post
                              The wind is presently blowing gently West-East, for the record.
                              From the map it's hard to tell if the area is flat except for the hills indicated or is there small rolling hills/ravines/trees that are hard to see on the map?

Comment

Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
                                is discussing tactics with his subordinate commanders.
                                more the battalion commander is standing bemused while Erwin Heinz and Hans Ludwig shout at each other.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X