No announcement yet.

ACG: Brothers in Arms - IC thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Oberst smiles at the explosion of ideas, then nods at the questions directed his way.

"Hauptmann, the bridge in Schlochau is rated at up to 28 tons - furthermore, as it is firmly behind our border and well guarded we can be fairly sure it has not been tampered with."

"Leutnant, while over half of our PzKwII are indeed Ausf. C, there are still a large number of the older models we have yet to replace - though we have tried to concentrate those in the command troops.
    Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

• A respectful request

Lt. Robert Fritz respectfully requests the command of 4. Zuge of 2 Kompanie of 2 Panzer Abteilung. He would like to be placed under command of Hauptmann Hans Ludwig, whom he knew to be a good combat leader and displays many flashes of brilliance. It would be an honor for him to serve under Ludwig!
      Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

• Recommendations

Lt. Robert Fritz writes a lengthy report on recommendations on how to plan for the operation assigned to our panzer regiment.
        First, let me lay down a simple operational concept of the planned operation. I learned a lot from the training exercise nearly five years ago, and one of key points, if our panzers are to be successful, is avoiding frontal assaults. Thus, our panzers should be used in outflanking manuveurs.

They may be divided into two core groups -- one to the northen sector, bypassing Chojnice and cutting off the retreat at Pawlowko; the other to the southern sector, driving to engage the suspected Polish armored tanks and through the gap on R12. Both core groups would link up somewhere between N15 and O15.

Why? Because if I were Polish commander, I'd put just enough units on the frontline to slow down the advancing German units, so that Polish units in the rear might have enough time to get into defensive positions along the gap at Rychnowy, defending Chojnice (B16), Niezychouice (E17), the road junction at Pawlowko (C20), the gap at I15, th town at J12, Zamarte (L15), the gap near the lake (between M13 and N13), the gap between wooded area (R11). It makes no sense for Polish units to engage German units out in open, not especially with German aircraft ruling the sky over this area and totally outclassed by newer and more modern German armored units.

Therefore, it's prudent for us to emphasize the element of mobility in our panzers. We must get behind the Polish units, and force them to react to our tactical moves.

Naturally, this is only my recommendation, I write this with full acknowledgement that it's certain better commanders have a more detailed report on how to accomplish the given objectives within the assigned area of operations.

Best regards,
        Lt. Robert Fritz
        Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

• Sturm nodded to the Oberst. It meant only one Panzer IV can cross at a time. Or one Panzer III for that matter. And you didn't cross a bridge at full speed. Unless you're insane . . .which some of these Panzer Commanders are. Sturm thought to himself.

"To use the bridge the 2nd Zuge of my Aufklarungs Kompanie will lead the way. 2nd Zuge of Hauptmann Müller's 1st kompanie will have to be last. The Mark IVs will have to cross one at a time." Sturm said stating the obvious, but long service and wartime service in the previous war taught him that the obvious was not always considered.

Even if the Oberst meant tonnes instead of tons the bridge capacity would only still be 30 tons.

Sturm looked at his watch. "Verdammt planning." Sturm said under his breath.

"Herr Oberst; does the Pionier Abteilung have bridging equipment? Perhaps they can lay a bridge parallel to the road bridge. It won't help the assault abteilung, but the follow on units can double their crossing rate." Sturm said trying to conceal the irritation that the General Stab (staff) had not bothered to ask front line commanders for input.
          Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

• Hans looked up from the map and stated his view.

"we can't frontally assault Rhychnowy with our Panzers, or even our infantrie, it would be that hill during Zossen all over again, However, we still need to stop them moving. I suggest we deploy the mortars in a position where they can suppress the enemy at Rhychnowy. I also suggest we deploy a few machine guns to stop any attempted assault.

the second major threat is the forces to the south, I support Haptmann Muller's idea of forming a defensive line based around sectors E-7, H-10 and G-15. this defensive line should consist of the anti-tank guns, Flak Cannons and MG's. Behind this line should be a small reserve of Panzers to counter any concerted attack.

The majority of the force should attack our objective, the HQ at Chojnice. Attacking towns is tricky for our panzers, i Suggest that the air attack be focussed on Chojnice and be in concert with a motorized assault. The Stukas should force the Polskis to keep their heads down. The panzers should work with the infantry, the infantry will go from building to building to clear out any surprises, while the panzers will clear away any heavy resistance. This assault, coupled with the air strike, should ensure a quick conclusion at Chojnice. We should also launch a simulated assault on Rhychnowy, to confuse our enemy, depending on their anti-tank stenghnth, we should send the Mark IV's to convince them that that is where our main assault is concentrated and that Chojnice is merely an effective diversion.

By this time, unless our foe is particularly timid, the enemy should be assaulting the defensive line, the Panzers should then swing around the flank, placing a small garrison at Ogorzeliny on the way, and destroy the enemy out in the open at roughly I-16 to I-6."

he then smiled, remembering Zossen, "but of course, nearly no plan lasts beyond the planning room"
            Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

• Originally posted by Dashy View Post
              Hans looked up from the map and stated his view.

"we can't frontally assault Rhychnowy with our Panzers, or even our infantrie, it would be that hill during Zossen all over again, However, we still need to stop them moving. I suggest we deploy the mortars in a position where they can suppress the enemy at Rhychnowy. I also suggest we deploy a few machine guns to stop any attempted assault.

the second major threat is the forces to the south, I support Haptmann Muller's idea of forming a defensive line based around sectors E-7, H-10 and G-15. this defensive line should consist of the anti-tank guns, Flak Cannons and MG's. Behind this line should be a small reserve of Panzers to counter any concerted attack.

The majority of the force should attack our objective, the HQ at Chojnice. Attacking towns is tricky for our panzers, i Suggest that the air attack be focussed on Chojnice and be in concert with a motorized assault. The Stukas should force the Polskis to keep their heads down. The panzers should work with the infantry, the infantry will go from building to building to clear out any surprises, while the panzers will clear away any heavy resistance. This assault, coupled with the air strike, should ensure a quick conclusion at Chojnice. We should also launch a simulated assault on Rhychnowy, to confuse our enemy, depending on their anti-tank stenghnth, we should send the Mark IV's to convince them that that is where our main assault is concentrated and that Chojnice is merely an effective diversion.

By this time, unless our foe is particularly timid, the enemy should be assaulting the defensive line, the Panzers should then swing around the flank, placing a small garrison at Ogorzeliny on the way, and destroy the enemy out in the open at roughly I-16 to I-6."

he then smiled, remembering Zossen, "but of course, nearly no plan lasts beyond the planning room"
              "I agree that we should definitely strike at the Divisional HQ. But I don't want to do it when the enemy has reserve units in the town. I see an opportunity to trap all the Polish units. They will obviously seek to engage in a WW1 style deadlock, where they are confident they have the upper hand. Thus I suggest we have 1 Infantry Kompanie and our artillery focus on pinning the enemy at Rychnowy down. It is likely the Polskis will send in their reserves to counter this.

Once that happens, we'll have an opportunity to strike at their HQ in Chojnice, Stukas should support us.

The problem is, we really need another Heavy Infantry Kompanie to support us. 1 to lightly engage the Poles frontally with our artillery support+their mortars, another to occupy positions to prevent Polish forces in the south from moving north, and the motorized Infantry Kompanie to assist our Panzers in the assault on Chojnice. Sectors E-7, H-10 and G-15 should be held by a Platoon of Inf, 1 or 2 AT guns and 1 or 2 Flak Guns. These strong points should be able to hold off any Polish counter attacks."

"Finally, Heinz has requested command of my 2 Zuge, so I'm giving it to him. Schmidt will take 1 Zuge. That is all." Hauptmann Müller sat down and waited for a reply.
              A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

• Hans glances at a missive upon the table, noticing that Lt Robert Fritz is requesting command of 4. Zuge.

"Mein Gott!" he exclaims, drawing the attention of all in the room "the crazy boy is still alive!" he sends a message back granting him control of 4. Zuge.

Hans then replies to Haptmann Mullers revised plan. "Ja, They will send their reserves to reinforce Rhychnowy, we should strike at the reserves as they are in transit then move on to take the town, but remember mein Kameraden, this is going to have to be well timed, our Komrades in the sky only have a limited timeframe in which to bomb, should we attack after the strike, there is a chance the polski would have taken up better positions in the rubble, or even made hasty barricades, we need to strike while the hammer is falling, or not at all."

Hans then thought to himself "where are those Lazy boys Nudel and Vosburgh? i could use their services again, and that Saxwell would do well under my command"

He then turned to the planning table, which Muller was staring at forlonly, trying to make spatial ends meet and remarked "I'll get on the line to my pal from the war, Von Rictoften, and see if he can stretch any rules for us, but i doubt it, I believe he is flying the planes in our sector, he sent a message to me a few days back claiming he's going to bomb warsaw to the ground so he may be preoccupied."
                Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

• Hauptmann Müller radios Oberst Heinzel, "Herr Oberst, is it possible to have an extra Heavy Infantry Kompanie at our disposal. If we are expected to hold Schlochau with our own forces then we will have less forces for the assault. The 2 Infantry Kompanie we have no are adequate if they are both available for use, but if 1 must be left behind for garrison duties then we will definitely need another. If you can arrange for other forces to garrison the town that would be good. As long as they can faint an advance on Rychnowy its fine. We just need the enemy to believe the attack is coming there. Thus our artillery support should also bombard the town periodically. That is all Herr Oberst, Danke."
                  A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

• If it is not yet taken Helmut Gaussen requests command of 4th Zug 3 Kompanie.
                    BoRG
                    "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

• I believe the 3rd Kompanie is presently devoid of officers, so you could likely have the whole thing if you want...

Comment

• 0403, 1st September 1939

Originally posted by Destroyer25 View Post
                        Hauptmann Müller radios Oberst Heinzel, "Herr Oberst, is it possible to have an extra Heavy Infantry Kompanie at our disposal. If we are expected to hold Schlochau with our own forces then we will have less forces for the assault. The 2 Infantry Kompanie we have no are adequate if they are both available for use, but if 1 must be left behind for garrison duties then we will definitely need another. If you can arrange for other forces to garrison the town that would be good. As long as they can faint an advance on Rychnowy its fine. We just need the enemy to believe the attack is coming there. Thus our artillery support should also bombard the town periodically. That is all Herr Oberst, Danke."
                        The Oberst rises to leave, pausing at Hptm. Müller's query. "There is no extra Heavy Infanterie-Kompanie in the Division, my friend - but the 2nd Motorized will be taking over Schlochau's defense around 1200-1300 hours, and they are instructed to cover your southern flank and support your advance. I have no doubt that they would be able to feint an advance on Rychowy - or even bring it under their own Artillerie's guns.

"I must leave you now - if you have any further queries before the ball goes up, please contact me via radio." He salutes, and heads out the doorway to his waiting track. The rest of the unit's officers bundle into the room at this, ready for some frenzied last-minute planning.

Comment

• Hauptmann Müller radios Oberst Heinzel, "Herr Oberst, must we keep 1 of our Kompanie in Schlochau then? Or is there no threat of the Poles cutting us off?"

Comment

• Major von Ravenstein here:

Dear loyal men of mine, I have some short spanned unfortunate news. I apologize for not having had any communication with you recently but commanders above me have needed my attention for circumstances not connected to our unit. Because of such circumstances, I will need to focus my complete attention on them for an uncertain amount of time. I am appointing Hauptmann Muller to become my 2 IC and the interim Major von Ravenstein until I can return and perform my duties. I do hope you understand men and I will do my best to return as soon as possible to help you in our tasks at Poland!

My best regards to every soldier of our unit,
                            Major von Ravenstein
                            De nihilo nihil. - Persius

Nemo solus satis sapit. - Plautus

Comment

• Hauptmann Müller radios Oberst Heinzel, "Herr Oberst, how many Stuka dive bombers will we have at our disposal?"

Comment

• 17. Geschwader will be available initially, made up of 13 Stukas. Other airgroups may become available as the day goes on, depending on the Polish response.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• BorderRuffian
                                  Polls that oversample Democrats
                                  by BorderRuffian
                                  Economist/YouGov poll of July 26-28, 2020, has Biden leading Trump by 49-40

Sample size-1500

Party ID
                                  Democrat-521 (35%)...
                                  Today, 08:44
                                • casanova
                                  Robi P.
                                  by casanova
                                  The Austrian soldier Toni P. of the Radetzky barack in Horn Nether Austria was forced by his commander to make an march with his comrades in 3th August...
                                  Today, 02:27
                                • casanova
                                  Beirut
                                  by casanova
                                  Gigantic explosion in the city of Beirut. 70 people were killed and 2750 men were heavy hurted. The explosion was like atomic bomb. The cause of that...
                                  Today, 00:47
                                Working...
                                X