ACG: Brothers in Arms - OOC thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Khryses View Post
    Historically the Zossen Motor Vehicle Training Command was designated the 1st Panzer Regiment - then redesignated the 5th Panzer Regiment in the subsequent shuffle around the founding of another three Panzer Divisions.

Which designates us as part of the 3rd Panzer Division, under Guderian's XIX Corps
    Awesome.

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/invasio...fall-weiss.htm

Check out the table, we're the strongest Panzer Division in the campaign! With nearly 400 tanks! And our commanding officer is Generalleutnant Leo Geyr von Schweppenburg.

Also, one of our Kompanie participates in the Norway Campaign.
    Last edited by Destroyer25; 02 Oct 10, 15:05.
    A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

yeah, but most of those Panzers are PzIs. I'd rather have a smaller division with more 2s and 3s
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
        yeah, but most of those Panzers are PzIs. I'd rather have a smaller division with more 2s and 3s
        You and me and most everybody else too.
        Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
          Those are ridiculous expectations. Germany launched Barbarossa with nearly 1000 Panzer Is and IIs. There weren't even 500 Panzer IVs involved. Our Division has the most Panzer IIIs (43), which is what we really need. They are the muscle. And the 3rd largest amount of Panzer IVs (32). This time around we'll have more significant firepower.

And guess what, I just found the Regimental OOB!

http://img25.imageshack.us/i/image002dye.gif/

It's a bit confusing though. Perhaps one of our German members can translate. Since the numbers on the chart add up to 314, I'm wondering if they are accurate. Because why would 314 of our Division's 391 tanks be in our Regiment?
          A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

The first column is the correct tank-count for 5th Panzer as of the 1st September - the other appears to be from six months prior.
            Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

Originally posted by Khryses View Post
              The first column is the correct tank-count for 5th Panzer as of the 1st September - the other appears to be from six months prior.
              That can't be right, out of the 43 Panzer IIIs in our division, our entire regiment gets 3!!?

Comment

Originally posted by Destroyer25 View Post
                That can't be right, out of the 43 Panzer IIIs in our division, our entire regiment gets 3!!?
                Don't forget we'll be the senior Panzer Regiment in 5th Panzer Division.
                Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                  Don't forget we'll be the senior Panzer Regiment in 5th Panzer Division.
                  So are we not using the actual OOB?

Comment

I am - it matches my copy anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Khryses View Post
                      I am - it matches my copy anyway.
                      Ah ok. When do you think things will be ready?

Comment

• Should be able to keep the regular pace - AAR tonight, new tacsit and OOB on my Monday evening.

Hope this suits?

Comment

• Originally posted by Khryses View Post
                          Should be able to keep the regular pace - AAR tonight, new tacsit and OOB on my Monday evening.

Hope this suits?
                          Hey guys, not sure if I can do the AAR right now, I have a HUGE Latin test on Tuesday and I am crunched for time coz I still have work and other classes to go to... is that okay?
                          De nihilo nihil. - Persius

Nemo solus satis sapit. - Plautus

Comment

• We have to go to war with a Major that devotes my time to Latin than killing Polskis!?

Comment

• It helps with the classic quotations von Ravenstein can cite upon your inevitable victories

Comment

• The Ob. Heinzel Report (AAR)

1. 2. Abteilung of the Zossen Motor Vehicle Command was to demonstrate against the enemy positions, probing them for weaknesses and drawing any of their reserves forward to leave their flank bare for 1. Abteilung's assault.

The Abteilung did advance with some caution, holding back a reserve to either a) prosecute a weakness picked up in the enemy positions or b) reinforce any detachments in need. The bulk of the Abteilung initially launched a frontal attack against prepared enemy positions - which by virtue of weight of fire did manage to suppress them to a degree - but bogged down before the enemy's line. A small Kampfgruppe under Leutnant Heinz (no relation) secured Genshagen, threatening an attack on the enemy's far flank from 1. Abteilung's approach. This did eventuate in drawing most of the enemy's reserves forward, though critically not the two Kompanies astride Ackerman's main route of advance. The enemy was drawn into a firetrap within Genshagen and then repelled once out of LOS from their PaK guns. Finally using a flanking maneuver, 2. Abteilung successfully eliminated the enemy position on the forward hill.

Any differences appear to come down to two points:
                                1. The unexpected (and in this case laudable) aggression on behalf of 2. Abteilung and its commanders.
                                2. The unexpected (and in this case unfortunate) proportion of the OpFor's regiment in the second-line, allowing them to respond to the probe and defend against 1. Abteilung at once.

2. Maneuver tactics and outflanking appeared to work far better than last-war style frontal assaults, even backed by Panzers. Panzers are no longer the juggernauts of the field, but armored cavalry and their doctrine needs to reflect that. While in certain cases they performed admirably as mobile pillboxes - and certainly their accuracy degrades massively while in motion - it would appear that we need a suppression-drill incorporated into doctrine which allows for fire on the move, even without the intent of eliminating the enemy.

Equally, sending Panzers with infantry into Genshagen appeared to work well - properly supported Panzers will clearly be valuable in any future urban operation where they can be keyholed or fight from a series of hull-down positions. At present our Panzer Is are equally armoured on all facings, but at such time as our Panzers become better armoured this may not be the case and keeping weaker facings from the enemy's LOF will become more critical.

While the circumvention of the central OpFor position did in fact work, this was in large part due to the suppression of the infantry there. There are some suggestions that the white-hats were unduly free about indicating this suppression given the security of the OpFor positions, and in any case the supporting infantry took a heavy toll of casualties. Such movements across the front of an enemy position are contraindicated in the future - withdrawal to safe distance would seem to be a necessary precursor.

3. Overall our tactics appeared sound, and were successful. I would advise a greater primacy on mobile warfare, although this is evidently not always possible against a prepared enemy position without support. Some attached artillery or air support would have widened our field of options, and some form of transport for our infantry would have rendered Leutnant Heinz's innovative improvisation unnecessary.

While our Panzers are armored against SmK rounds, the increasing availability of SmKK ammunition and out-and-out anti-tank weapons would appear to direct that we develop both better armored Panzers and Panzers armed with the weapons necessary to deal with enemy tanks themselves - as was indicated by one of von Ravenstein's officers, even a few Panzer Is on the opposing side in this exercise would have made matters... impractical.

More mobility, more AFVs, better armored and armed AFVs with more unit-integral support - and the Reichsheer will have its armored cavalry, fit to destroy any foe.

Sieg Heil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X