Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ACG: Brothers in Arms - OOC thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Hopefully next time, we will be more well equipped. Possibly Panzer IIs, Panzer 38(t)s, and if we're REALLY lucky, Panzer IIIs and Panzer IVs. Some Sd.Kfz. 250s or Sd.Kfz. 251s would be a real luxury, even if we just had 1 or 2 infantry platoons equipped with them, it would give us a massive tactical advantage on the battlefield. Some decent artillery support would be a huge benefit too. The lack of artillery was a serious issue, we could have routed those 3 Kompanie easily had we only had a dozen mortars or so.

    So, hopefully next time.

    1. Better Panzers
    2. More mobile infantry.
    3. More firepower with the infantry.
    4. Better equipped recce forces.
    5. More fire support.
    A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
      I used their mobility to get them and infantry into covered firing positions well before the 3 leg-bound companies could get to firing positions. Had there been more Panzers in the Left Flank attack, we could have advanced from Genshagen in the second phase and taken those companies out in the open.
      *cough* had there been more Panzers, you would have put them in defensive positions

      Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
      1 Platoon of Infanterie (on trucks or tank riders) and 2 Zuge of Panzers go into Genshagen. The infanterie cleans it of enemy, and the Panzers use the houses for cover, keyholing themselves where they can provide a base of fire on the enemy flank.
      Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

      Comment


      • #78
        I recall in my later orders asking for another Zuge to come through Genshagen and take up positions in the line to the North so we could SWEEP the enemy away from his ridgeline positions he had vacated to attack Genshagen from.

        My INITIAL orders were based on a STATIC enemy on the ridge and a STATIC enemy on the hill. Those dispositions were perfectly sound for setting up a base of fire that would already be flanking the hill, forcing them to vacate when the frontal attack and other flanking attack by the regiment occurred.

        In reality, the enemy on the ridge, which my INITIAL plan was designed to mask, decided to commit to his own assault, at which time I CHANGED the plan to include a counter-counterattack using Panzers to sweep lightly supported infantry in the OPEN.

        I do recall Keyholing was quite effective, as my panzers were under fire from 3 PAKs that were only being suppressed by mine and the infanterie Zuge. It was late in the exercise before those 3 PAKs were able to score hits. The frontal assault by comparison lost quite a few PAKs, even though more resources were committed to suppressing them. Since the PzI has inferior armor performance, I stand by that decision.

        Remember, no plan survives contact, especially in mobile warfare.
        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
          Remember, no plan survives contact, especially in mobile warfare.
          I know, i was just needling you for fun.

          Oh btw, how goes your fleet?
          Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
            I recall in my later orders asking for another Zuge to come through Genshagen and take up positions in the line to the North so we could SWEEP the enemy away from his ridgeline positions he had vacated to attack Genshagen from.

            My INITIAL orders were based on a STATIC enemy on the ridge and a STATIC enemy on the hill. Those dispositions were perfectly sound for setting up a base of fire that would already be flanking the hill, forcing them to vacate when the frontal attack and other flanking attack by the regiment occurred.

            In reality, the enemy on the ridge, which my INITIAL plan was designed to mask, decided to commit to his own assault, at which time I CHANGED the plan to include a counter-counterattack using Panzers to sweep lightly supported infantry in the OPEN.

            I do recall Keyholing was quite effective, as my panzers were under fire from 3 PAKs that were only being suppressed by mine and the infanterie Zuge. It was late in the exercise before those 3 PAKs were able to score hits. The frontal assault by comparison lost quite a few PAKs, even though more resources were committed to suppressing them. Since the PzI has inferior armor performance, I stand by that decision.

            Remember, no plan survives contact, especially in mobile warfare.
            Indeed, you changed your plan well according to the developing tactical situation. Looking back on it, we probably should have had twice as many troops in the town than we actually did. It would have been managable too had we not committed so much to the frontal attack, which was overly aggressive. Once we got into it, we weren't aggressive enough. We were rather static. If we are going to commit to an assault we need to move fast and get around their positions.
            A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

            Comment


            • #81
              Well my recon element did not have the luxury of armor except for our helmets. Once contact is made unless we have superior forces, we're stuck till the cavalry arrives.
              Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

              "I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

              What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                Well my recon element did not have the luxury of armor except for our helmets. Once contact is made unless we have superior forces, we're stuck till the cavalry arrives.
                You're recce, you shouldn't be getting heavily engaged. You should just be gathering intel and then act as mobile infantry when the need arises. I agree that you should be better equipped though, having infantry that can be rapidly deployed alone is a valuable asset, add in the recce value and its a worthy investment.
                A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Radios are more important than armor at this juncture IMHO. But I also agree. Your troops could provide far better recon service if they had vehicles that could survive the initial burst of rifle or MG fire and report on more precise locations. Maybe some light radio cars with MGs and light armor perhaps?
                  Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                    Radios are more important than armor at this juncture IMHO. But I also agree. Your troops could provide far better recon service if they had vehicles that could survive the initial burst of rifle or MG fire and report on more precise locations. Maybe some light radio cars with MGs and light armor perhaps?
                    SDKFZ221s were what I requested. We'll see what we get when we actually go to war.
                    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

                    "I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

                    What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      This is for Khryses,

                      I'm curious, do you design tactical maps on a whim? Or are they based on actual tactical situations witnessed during the war?

                      Are all hits and movements based on modified dices or what?

                      Dan
                      Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

                      "Aim small, miss small."

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
                        This is for Khryses,

                        I'm curious, do you design tactical maps on a whim? Or are they based on actual tactical situations witnessed during the war?

                        Are all hits and movements based on modified dices or what?

                        Dan
                        Mostly the latter - where I can I use actual battle-maps, otherwise I look at the satellite imagery of the area and stylise it from that.

                        And yes, I use a homebrew modified d10 system
                        Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Great work with post-battle thoughts and suggestions, both IC and OOC!

                          Any last thoughts?

                          Oberst Heinzel will share his thoughts tomorrow evening my time - meanwhile I'll keep working on my materials for Fall Weiss
                          Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by Khryses View Post
                            Great work with post-battle thoughts and suggestions, both IC and OOC!

                            Any last thoughts?

                            Oberst Heinzel will share his thoughts tomorrow evening my time - meanwhile I'll keep working on my materials for Fall Weiss
                            What Division are we in?
                            A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by Destroyer25 View Post
                              What Division are we in?
                              I'd say 1st, but that is just me.
                              Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

                              "I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

                              What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Historically the Zossen Motor Vehicle Training Command was designated the 1st Panzer Regiment - then redesignated the 5th Panzer Regiment in the subsequent shuffle around the founding of another three Panzer Divisions.

                                Which designates us as part of the 3rd Panzer Division, under Guderian's XIX Corps
                                Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X