ACG: Brothers in Arms - OOC thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Khryses View Post
    We don't strictly need all the roles filled - they're just potential bonuses and RP opportunities
    Has anybody bothered to PM the missing commanders? Did the Oberst completely ignore me about the Pioneer BN?
    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichardS View Post
      Has anybody bothered to PM the missing commanders? Did the Oberst completely ignore me about the Pioneer BN?
      Yeah, how any units of the Pioneer Abt can we use? Even a few Zuge would be helpful, as they can fill the gaps we have in our infantry support. I'd like them to start fortifying the eastern end of the town and possibly construct another bridge accross the river to increase the pace at which we get across.
      A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

• The Pioneer Abteilung can liaise with you, but will not fall under your command.

That said, as 6.Pz-Rgt doesn't require their services on the 1st, the Abteilung will be available for non-combat operations from 0800, when they arrive at Schlochau.

Re: bridging, the Pioneer Major states that they can either reinforce the bridge in an hour, doubling it's strength - which will require sole access to the bridge in that period - or build one in parallel which will stand up to 40 tons, but take several hours.

What would you prefer?

They are reluctant to use much more of their bridging equipment before reaching the Vistula.
        Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

• Do we really need the extra bridge, or even the reinforced one? going across singly would probably be faster.
          Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

• I'm wondering if we could use an extra bridge to ford the river at its narrowest point, southwest of our town? That would give us more attack options and forcing Polish units to defend wider space.

If that can be done, then we can use that extra bridge to divide our forces into two key core groups, north and south groups. One would concentrate on defeating Polish units in the northern sector, where their HQ is located, by bypassing Chojnice and cutting off the escape route behind the town. While the other group would head to the southern sector, with two key mission objectives -- defeat any Polish armored unit that may be sighted and capture key road junctions on way to Vistula River.

If all of our units go across just one bridge, that complicates the matter slightly more, and might give Polish units a chance to slow us down. We don't want do that, do we?

Lt. Robert Fritz
            Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

• Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
              I'm wondering if we could use an extra bridge to ford the river at its narrowest point, southwest of our town? That would give us more attack options and forcing Polish units to defend wider space.

If that can be done, then we can use that extra bridge to divide our forces into two key core groups, north and south groups. One would concentrate on defeating Polish units in the northern sector, where their HQ is located, by bypassing Chojnice and cutting off the escape route behind the town. While the other group would head to the southern sector, with two key mission objectives -- defeat any Polish armored unit that may be sighted and capture key road junctions on way to Vistula River.

If all of our units go across just one bridge, that complicates the matter slightly more, and might give Polish units a chance to slow us down. We don't want do that, do we?

Lt. Robert Fritz
              Our plan is really dependent on what level of coordination the enemy has, if they are able to react to our moves then we're going to need to be cautious, but if we can take out the HQ without any other unit even knowing we're there then we can be highly aggressive.
              A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

• Originally posted by Destroyer25 View Post
                Our plan is really dependent on what level of coordination the enemy has, if they are able to react to our moves then we're going to need to be cautious, but if we can take out the HQ without any other unit even knowing we're there then we can be highly aggressive.
                How about instead of taking out HQ, let's cut off his communications? Have all of our bombers interdict key roads and get bomber-fighters on stand by for tactical support.

Perhaps we can throw in a little deception -- start by pounding on the town held by Polish garrison units (on the eastern road (just north of the lake), make them thinking that we're really planning to go that attack route with our main force, thus drawing additional Polish units to that area. At the right moment, we can surprise them by going in the other direction (across the bridge).

At this point, it's best if we use our mobility and superior aerial support in outflanking the Polish units, and try to avoid attacking them head on.

Lt. Robert Fritz
                Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

• Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
                  How about instead of taking out HQ, let's cut off his communications? Have all of our bombers interdict key roads and get bomber-fighters on stand by for tactical support.

Perhaps we can throw in a little deception -- start by pounding on the town held by Polish garrison units (on the eastern road (just north of the lake), make them thinking that we're really planning to go that attack route with our main force, thus drawing additional Polish units to that area. At the right moment, we can surprise them by going in the other direction (across the bridge).

At this point, it's best if we use our mobility and superior aerial support in outflanking the Polish units, and try to avoid attacking them head on.

Lt. Robert Fritz
                  Originally I wanted to feint an attack at the Poles at Rych, but I need another Infantry company for that. But perhaps I can use some Panzers instead.

I want to draw out the Polish reserves so we can smash them in transit. Also, our Stuka support is only available for a limited amount of time.

I'm getting frustrated here with my lack of resources, I don't have enough men to execute what I want to do. The lack of all the recon forces is most angering, and the lack of another Infantry Company is also problematic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Destroyer25 View Post
                    Originally I wanted to feint an attack at the Poles at Rych, but I need another Infantry company for that. But perhaps I can use some Panzers instead.

I want to draw out the Polish reserves so we can smash them in transit. Also, our Stuka support is only available for a limited amount of time.

I'm getting frustrated here with my lack of resources, I don't have enough men to execute what I want to do. The lack of all the recon forces is most angering, and the lack of another Infantry Company is also problematic.
                    Don't worry about that, I'm pretty sure it's all part of sneaky Khryses' plan, and besides, it wouldn't be fun if we had everything at our disposal and just simply steamrolled over hapless Polish soldiers!

If we don't have enough resources, then our best bet is hitting them extremely hard head on, and as soon they began to retreat, send our Panzers to outflank them, then drive on to Vistula River. That's our only chance of throwing a monkey wrench in their plan of defense.

We should hold our Panzers in reserves first, just wait for a breakthrough, and let the problem take care of itself.

Lt. Robert Fritz

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

• My panzers can get across the bridge and on the road between the HQ and Rych. There they can interdict the road, using their 75mms to put HE out where none of our other Panzers can, and prevent the regiment in Rych from falling back, or shredding them in the open if they do. They can also prevent Infantry from sallying out of the city, if I spread them out a bit and use the radio heavily to manuever them back and forth against targets.
                      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                        My panzers can get across the bridge and on the road between the HQ and Rych. There they can interdict the road, using their 75mms to put HE out where none of our other Panzers can, and prevent the regiment in Rych from falling back, or shredding them in the open if they do. They can also prevent Infantry from sallying out of the city, if I spread them out a bit and use the radio heavily to manuever them back and forth against targets.
                        Alright, I'll send your platoon + 1 Motorized Inf platoon + our armored cars to cut the road. The cars will screen either side so you can know when the enemy is making a move. The cars can then scatter and harass the flanks of the infantry columns once they're in transit.

I'll also have 1 platoon of tanks get behind the enemy positions to prevent them from escaping and to delay enemy reinforcements.

We'll also keep another tank platoon in reserve to help the Panzer IVs if they need it. But I think they'll be able to shred up any infantry forces from like 2k away.

Everyone else will be attacking the more isolated enemy forces. Once they're dealt with, we'll turn north and finish off any remaining enemy units.

Artillery will be bombarding Rych, and the Stukas will bomb the enemy battalion right before we attack it, they'll also target the enemy HQ.

Your opinions on the plan? It's up for debate and change of course.

Comment

• I remind everybody you got SIX armored cars. 5 SDKFZ231 and 1 SDKFZ232 Command (Radio) car. So 6 20mm and 6 7.92mgs. will not have a super impact on any decent sized infantry column. And you'll lose your eyes if you tie them to one spot. Also Blitzkrieg is for deep penetration and destroying the enemies command and control functions. Let's not get to greedy and try and do too much. If we destroy the enemy HQ than the other abteilung can take the infantry brigade.
                          Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

• I agree.

Remember Herr Major, our goal is not Rych. It's associated with our goal, but with with a Zuge or two of infanterie, a Zuge of PZIVs, and maybe 1 Scout car, we can prevent Rych from supporting our true objective. Those scout cars will be far more useful keeping tabs on the more mobile enemy forces to the South. Also the halftracks and trucks will be more useful for moving the main body than for piling up on what is after all a secondary mission.

My advice would be to mount the 'non-motorized' company on the vehicles, run them up to the location for the blocking manuever, then go back and pick up the special motorized troops.

Like has been said, the PZIV is definitely not the PZI. It's got a far more powerful gun and an equal number of MGs to its predecessor. It's also got enough armor that an ATG will have to get within range of the 75mm in order to penetrate, so it can protect itself far better than the PZI.

I think that the blocking maneuver can be adequately performed by 2 Zuge of infanterie supporting a Zuge of PzIVs, with a single scout car covering the rear to alert against any enemy moves. The enemy is leg bound, so we have the ability to move our vehicles and tanks out of the way if it looks like they're going to overwhelm us.

In short, my proposal is simply a way to keep the enemy from strengthening his HQ position. Our main thrust should be to keep mobile enemy forces from interfering (mostly a job for the PzIIIs and some of the IIs.) and to gain the rear of the position occupied by the polish HQ unit and then get them out of their position if necessary (a job for PzIIs, IVs, and infantry). We should focus heavily on preventing enemy units from forming a definitive line, using our armor to surround them, our infantry to fix them, and then pounding them with artillery, air, and direct fire until they surrender or are destroyed. Our air plan should go after their mobile units and their HQ exclusively, as these are their greatest threats.

Comment

• My Panzer's are already in Warsaw. I don't know what you lot are waiting on.

Seriously, Oberleutnant Schmidt reporting for duty.
                              History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                              _________
                              BoRG

Comment

• One final thing we need to keep in mind. We cannot let the Poles advance that brigade into Slochau (sp?). We need to defend the road and advance rapidly around them in strength to threaten their HQ and reserves at Chojnice, in order to precipitate a retreat. The moment they fall back out of Rych, we should call in artillery to punish them in the open, use our blocking forces, but otherwise keep the pressure up on the forces in Chojnice so that they keep calling for their regiments to fall back where we can destroy them in the open.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X