Are a home now for me
    But my home is the lowlands
    And always will be
    Some day you'll return to
    Your valleys and your farms
    And you'll no longer burn
    To be brothers in arms...

So... what's all this then?

Well in short I've been turning a few thoughts over in my mind since RL overran my attempts to run the somewhat large Peninsular Campaign... and I've come to two conclusions;

1- I do very much miss running games for the entertainment and edification of such ACGers who want to participate, so I should try to run another one.

2- I don't begin to have the time to run something of even vaguely equivalent complexity to Peninsular, so any such attempt will only be doomed to failure - and I'm as tired of my sims dying or falling into hibernation as I'm sure you all are.

Yeah... but I've heard this before. What makes this one any different?

Basically it's a change in game theory - I'm going far away from massively involved complexity (leave that to those with the time and bloody-mindedness like a certain Roman of our acquaintance!) into an idea which owes much of its birth to the excellent mini-sims Zouave ran for us in the Napoleonic thread some time back.

Minimal PMs.
    All players on the one side, discussing what ought to be done, and possibly voting on it.
    A week-long turn to decide what to do.
    Flexible player-load, so people can drop in and out as time allows.
    Relatively minimal work from me to keep it going.

What could possibly go wrong?

...you intrigue me. But that's mostly been explaining why *you* aren't going to drop out of this. Why should I get into this in the first place? What's it all about anyway?

Well, I'm glad I asked.

Brothers in Arms is planned to follow the shifting fortunes of the command team of a single unit throughout the Second World War. Different tactical situations will be presented and decisions will be made by the players, who may wish to assume IC character roles or may not - I'll do my best to feature said characters in the outcomes determined by the course of action they choose, and repeat characters will develop bonuses and modifiers that may help the unit's fortunes... because if the formation gets too badly shot up in one situation, their predicament may be... desperate in the ones to follow.

Which would be a Bad Thing.

Okay... but in Zouave's first game we all voted on what we wanted to be done - while in his Hussar game there was a chain of command. Which I recall you used to get yourself killed - nice one incidentally. Which model are you wanting to follow this time?

Thanks.

Well either way really. If one of the players chooses to take on the IC role of the leader, and the others are okay with it, then they can outline their tactical suggestions and he takes the final call, some of the credit, and most of the blame when Murphy gets involved.

If the players decide to leave the leader role vacant, we'll go with voting to decide which course of action he's influenced into taking.

Democracy in the Heer - who would have thought it?

...curiouser and curious. Alright, I'll- No! I promised myself I wouldn't get into another of these games! No! NO! *runs off*

...okay. Well now that *he's* gone...

Anyone else want to give it a shot?

Feel free to drop in or out as you will - as part of my KISS plan, I'm bundling all the threads into two - this one for all things OOC (including chatting!) and another one to be launched soon/tomorrow with a quasi-test scenario - which while part of the IC storytree will be a non-lethal training exercise.

At which point those of you I haven't already been consulting with will find out *which* formation I've been eyeing with interest...

Any questions, as always, are extremely welcome.
    Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Im in! I've always loved the games you've run Khryses..... especially that Shiloh one

Thanks for looking!!

Comment

Also known as, 'the one that worked'

Hopefully this one will live up to its illustrious predecessor

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Count me in. To the bitter end.
        History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
        _________
        BoRG

Comment

Can the noobs play?
          A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

All welcome - and knowing you have RL commitments coming at some point shouldn't be a bar, as even outside the game itself being easy-paced and flexible it's fine to drop in and out of the game as your schedule permits.

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Count me in too.
              Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

I want in too...I had great fun with the Pegasus bridge game...

Comment

Count me in then.
                  A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

So I see the map is up - how is this going to work exactly?

Oh, I see you've come crawling back again. Basically - similarly to Zouave's Napoleonic sims - at this point the players should come up with plan to achieve their desired course of action (which may or may not precisely comply with the orders they've been given). After 5-6 days or possibly a week I'll see if either someone has taken on the role of von Ravenstein (in which case they're the final arbiter on which course of action to take) or not (in which case I'll put up a poll consisting of what I see as the most popular courses of action suggested and people can vote on which course von Ravenstein should order).

At which point I'll post the results. Generally a situation will have 3 or 4 iterations, but for the Zossen proving ground I'll stick to 2 - so 0.1 is the one we have now, then 0.2 will give players a chance to amend their plans on the fly before 0.C shows us the conclusion - and what certain dignitaries think of the show.

Then (at some point in the not-too-distant future) we'll move on to 1939 and 1.1, with Fall Weiss...

Comment

I don't know if I'm crazy for doing this or not, but I'll give this one a shot. The come and go as you please situation should work nicely for me.
                      Satis elouquentiae sapientiae parum

Diadochi Wars GAME:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=140484

Comment

Ya, OK...If you have room for me, I'll play too.

I can take a front line position, but as usual, if you have a supporting role (Stuka flight commander, refueling detachment commander etc) to add to the realism I will be happy to oblige.

Comment

I'm in. I'm thinking a sub-unit command here. A Panzer Platoon or motorized (later mechanized) infantry company.

I've got plenty on my plate running 2 corps (other forum), an entire nation (yet another forum), a fleet, 1.5 fronts of WWII, and matching wits with Khryses in Spain.

But running a smaller unit sounds like lots of fun........
                          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                            I'm in. I'm thinking a sub-unit command here. A Panzer Platoon or motorized (later mechanized) infantry company.

I've got plenty on my plate running 2 corps (other forum), an entire nation (yet another forum), a fleet, 1.5 fronts of WWII, and matching wits with Khryses in Spain.

Ha and I thought I was busy...
                            Satis elouquentiae sapientiae parum

Diadochi Wars GAME:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=140484

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post

I'm glad you're okay being a subordinate of a girl! :P
                              De nihilo nihil. - Persius

Nemo solus satis sapit. - Plautus

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X