Saving Private Kelly's Heroes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving Private Kelly's Heroes

Just a fun scenario about choice of armour .

Background
    It's April 1945 and you are in charge of a vastly understrength brigade/regiment. You're not too worried, as your job is just to hold the river crossings at the bridges shown on the map below. The enemy commander seems just as happy to sit out the rest of the war.

However, the following facts have come to your attention. You are at AAA. The enemy HQ is at XXX. You have just found out that a rather highly placed enemy commander has come to interogate a rather important allied prisoner - the only son of a highly placed US congressman. He has brought his substantial art collection with him. Further your souces say that there is a bank with substantial gold reserves, the worlds biggest and best brothel and the largest store of schnapps and cigarettes on the continent, all at XXX.

Forces
    Your forces consist of 4 regular infantry companies (one at each of the crossings), a reserve armoured infantry company, and both a heavy mg platoon and a mortar platoon in carriers/half-tracks. You can also call on two artillery regiments to drop smoke or HE on one position each. An adversary of yours is in charge of a troop of SP tank destroyers. You don't want to let him in on any plan, but he would do his job and support any defence against an armored enemy attack.

The enemy has 4 known infantry companies of about the same strength as yours. Each enemy company has 4 Pak 38's. In addition the 40 ton load bridge is also protected by 2 Pak 40's in concrete bunkers, and the 60 ton load bridge by 2 Jagdpanthers. They are known to have a troop of 4 PzIVH's as a reserve. The ford is an unknown entity, but probably usuable by some AFV's.

The Objective?
    The enemy town is defended by local conscripts. As long as you can reach said town with two companies of infantry, and said PzIVH's are destroyed, you will win.

Positions.
    You are orange, they are grey at the positions marked. Large hills (brown) prevent the enemy companies from supporting each other, while woods (green) hide your troops deployment.

The Plan?
    Given that you can comandeer 8 standard AFV's of your choice from either the British OR the US armouries, which AFV's would you take, and how would they be involved in your plan?

Edit
    Enemy artillery is unknown, bridges are probably liberally coated wit AP and AT mines, but the troop of PzIV's are probably the only reinforcements that any crossing could receives.

I know my artwork is crap .
    Last edited by Nick the Noodle; 13 Sep 10, 12:57.
    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

paralyzed with indecision

Comment

What are the fields of fire for the German PAK 38's and 40's?

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post

paralyzed with indecision

However, there is no time limit .

Originally posted by llkinak View Post
        What are the fields of fire for the German PAK 38's and 40's?
        You don't know. However, the 40's in the bunkers will certainly be covering the bridge. You'll just have to make assumptions.

You can almost certainly count on the fact that if the Germans could have blown the bridges they would have, and that the ford would be better protected if the Germans thought Shermans could get through.

One of the biggest problems is the weight limits at each bridge. M26's and heavy Churchills will break a 40 ton load limit bridge.

There is no right answer, just an opinion. Remember I can't give the usual appreciation for a great plan if one isn't posted .
        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Nick, I've nicked your idea!
          It's set up on my wargames table, next Wednesday we'll fight it out to a conclusion and relate what happens.

The long toll of the brave
          Is not lost in darkness
          Over the fruitful earth
          And athwart the seas
          Hath passed the light of noble deeds
          Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
            Nick, I've nicked your idea!
            It's set up on my wargames table, next Wednesday we'll fight it out to a conclusion and relate what happens.

Look forward to your write up . If this proves popular I have plenty more to come .

Comment

Why are you using my friends toddler drawings as a battlfield map?

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                Why are you using my friends toddler drawings as a battlfield map?
                That's not very fair on your friends toddler. Worse, my future maps are unlikely to get better .

Comment

My weapon of choice for armour: Sherman Firefly
                  Acceptable armour,excellent gun,movement and reliability.So I will take 6 of them...that should be enough to take out 4 PzIV.
                  And its heavy about 33 tonnes IIRC,so I have 40t,60t bridges as routes of advance,and supposedly the ford.
                  Other two AFV will be two Valentines.They are under 20 tonnes,opening me a fourth bridge in the north.
                  Since start I know that I am not going to use smoke screens.For me is better to engage enemy troops from long distance (except Jagds) because of 17 pounders.And I am fearing that German infantry could see my movements on bridge/ford anyway because they are sitting in trenches.
                  However heavy bridges are out of question for attack.That 2 Jagds are simply too strong,as well Paks 40.I also think that bridges are heavily mined so any kind of direct attack would be deadly,from both sides.

For that reason I would redeploy single infantry company to attack in other sector,while remaining one would split and keep on guard two bridges,40t and 60t.They have TD support if Germans ever try to move on them.
                  I will deploy two IC to ford,with 6 Shermans Fireflies...while in north I will deploy 1 normal IC,and dismounted mechanised company.Universal carriers (as I am a British) will wait in forest with 2 Valentines.

The attack will start at dawn,with HE artillery strike on ford.Infantry attack should be followed 10minutes later with Shermans engaging Paks from distance,and supported with heavy MG fire.
                  Northern sector will remain silent until my order.

Hopefully Germans will send their Panzer to annihilate my southern attack,which according to plan should transform in breakout.

1 hour after initial attack,same strategy will be applied to northern part.Artillery strike,initial infantry attack and combined carrier/Valentine strike over the bridge.Off course,in order to compensate my lack of armour,northern strike will be supported with direct mortar fire.
                  Now I suppose that small 20t bridge is far less mined than other two bridges,maybe even clear,as Germans think that that bridge is impassable to Shermans...but I have Valentines
                  Sooner or later,one sector will break,and my troops will march (maybe with heavy losses) towards that city.

Last edited by nikolas93TS; 14 Sep 10, 10:08.
                  It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
                  Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by nikolas93TS View Post
                    My weapon of choice for armour: Sherman Firefly
                    Acceptable armour,excellent gun,movement and reliability.So I will take 6 of them...that should be enough to take out 4 PzIV.
                    And its heavy about 33 tonnes IIRC,so I have 40t,60t bridges as routes of advance,and supposedly the ford.
                    Other two AFV will be two Valentines.They are under 20 tonnes,opening me a fourth bridge in the north.
                    Since start I know that I am not going to use smoke screens.For me is better to engage enemy troops from long distance (except Jagds) because of 17 pounders.And I am fearing that German infantry could see my movements on bridge/ford anyway because they are sitting in trenches.
                    However heavy bridges are out of question for attack.That 2 Jagds are simply too strong,as well Paks 40.I also think that bridges are heavily mined so any kind of direct attack would be deadly,from both sides.

For that reason I would redeploy single infantry company to attack in other sector,while remaining one would split and keep on guard two bridges,40t and 60t.They have TD support if Germans ever try to move on them.
                    I will deploy two IC to ford,with 6 Shermans Fireflies...while in north I will deploy 1 normal IC,and dismounted mechanised company.Universal carriers (as I am a British) will wait in forest with 2 Valentines.

The attack will start at dawn,with HE artillery strike on ford.Infantry attack should be followed 10minutes later with Shermans engaging Paks from distance,and supported with heavy MG fire.
                    Northern sector will remain silent until my order.

Hopefully Germans will send their Panzer to annihilate my southern attack,which according to plan should transform in breakout.

1 hour after initial attack,same strategy will be applied to northern part.Artillery strike,initial infantry attack and combined carrier/Valentine strike over the bridge.Off course,in order to compensate my lack of armour,northern strike will be supported with direct mortar fire.
                    Now I suppose that small 20t bridge is far less mined than other two bridges,maybe even clear,as Germans think that that bridge is impassable to Shermans...but I have Valentines
                    Sooner or later,one sector will break,and my troops will march (maybe with heavy losses) towards that city.

Will post appropriate appreciation shortly .

Anymore anyone ?

Comment

They have 2 Jagdpanthers, so we kind of lost already.
                      Unless we can get some Centurions!
                      Besides they have girls and booze. Can we just change sides?

Comment

Originally posted by vonVillemar View Post
                        They have 2 Jagdpanthers, so we kind of lost already.
                        Unless we can get some Centurions!
                        Besides they have girls and booze. Can we just change sides?
                        The Jagdpanthers are only at the 60 ton load bridge .

Plenty of options. Do you go the Mark Clark route - as long as you get your prize, sod the losses. The Patton route would be the most glorious, while Montys route would be like a chess game. However, can you be that Manstein .

Comment

My eight tanks of choice will be A34 Comets.

Pull two platoons each from the 20 and 40 ton bridges and two from the ford. Assign one TD each from our "friend" at the 20, 40, and the ford to replace the platoons and the last one at the 60 ton. They are assigned to shoot up anything that looks remotely dangerous with emphasis on enemy armor.

All six platoons plus the 60 ton bridge company attack across the 60 ton with heavy artillery smoke and HE from the mortars.

Watch and see if the enemy can repel the attack or is forced to reinforce, paying particular attention to the four MK IV's. They're almost going to have to since I've got enough combat power to force a crossing of the 60 ton with the platoons, and TD's.

If the enemy reinforces from anywhere, the reserve armored infantry company and heavy MG's will assault the location they just vacated with support from the mortar platoon. Once they're across they will assist the attack on the 60 ton from the flank or rear.

If the enemy reinforces from the 40 ton, the Comets will immediately assault and cross there once the infantry deals with the Pak40's. If the reinforcements come from anywhere else, the Comets will occupy firing positions on the flanks of the Jagdpanthers, eliminate them if that has not already been done by the infantry, and then cross the 60 ton bridge.

If the MK IV's reinforce the 60 ton, the TD's and Comets will eliminate them and then cross. If they do not, they will cross once the jagdpanthers are eliminated.

Once across the situation will be reevaluated and units will head for the town with infantry in the lead, followed by the remaining Comets, followed by the armored infantry.
                          Last edited by llkinak; 14 Sep 10, 16:56.

Comment

Can I take part with my 10 IS-2s, battery of Katyushas and brigade of cavalry? Did I mention the balalaika players?

Comment

Originally posted by skoblin View Post
                              Can I take part with my 10 IS-2s, battery of Katyushas and brigade of cavalry? Did I mention the balalaika players?
                              Those cheating Soviets . I did say 8 AFVs. You can have what you want but only what is stated in the scenario is actually usuable .

The rest will be on film duty .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X