Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Officer's Mess - The place for baiting and taunting the other teams

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by AdrianE View Post
    Very interesting guys.

    Is it possible for Bulgaria and Rumania to switch sides in the game, like they did in history?
    I think IIRK that they just quit their armies disappear at the time of their surrender.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

    Comment


    • Yup, if like the board game the Axis minor armies simply vanish (what was left of them). Ploesti is still German and providing resources.

      Exo,... the lost bomber points were "allied".

      The Land - German pz losses were spread around but, yes, a good portion came fighting the allies in Brittany.
      The Purist

      Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

      Comment


      • Can't wait for the update, sounds exciting!
        "Why is the Rum gone?"

        -Captain Jack

        Comment


        • Ok,... we're rolling agin into 9/43. Allied update to follow late this evening.
          The Purist

          Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by The Purist View Post
            Ok,... we're rolling agin into 9/43. Allied update to follow late this evening.
            BoRG
            "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

            Comment


            • Without allies, there is nobody left to let us down.

              Heh heh.... Our boys in AG North don't seem to have much to worry about, do they?
              "Why is the Rum gone?"

              -Captain Jack

              Comment


              • Update for SHAEF is up for review. Orders due for Sunday evening please. Russian update to be posted thereafter.
                The Purist

                Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

                Comment


                • A great turn for our side, but I have to wonder- why did loosing one city cause the fall of all our remaining Cannon Fo-... I mean, Allies? Hungary seemed in much better shape, and these collapses always seem to surprise everyone.

                  Spain or Switzerland won't suddenly declare war on us for no apparent reason, will they?
                  "Why is the Rum gone?"

                  -Captain Jack

                  Comment


                  • The political point lose was not for the fall of Sofia but the "Liberation" of France (-10 political points). Effectively, the allies gaining a major supply source (Brest), the partisan uprising and the declaration of "Liberation Imminent" had a political effect on Romania and Hungary (Bulgaria would have surrendered anyway with the loss of Sofia).

                    The game isn't just one of military resources but both sides need to keep an eye on the political effects as well. The declaration of war against a pro-Axis neutral (Turkey) cost -10 pp instead of the usual -2 pp. Combine that with unsuccessful invasion of Greece (another - 2pp) and the axis was operating at a -12 pp deficit to the normal OTL level. Then there is the lose of Minsk and Odessa (-1 pp each) and the political war began going badly against the Axis.

                    Once the level dropped to 29 pp, Romania collapses, Hungary goes at 24 pp. Current political level is 23 pp,.... so,...

                    Of course, had Turkey not been attacked the level would be 33 and both countries would still be in the fight.

                    As for Italy, as far as I can see it surrendered because three of four conditions were met. These are:

                    - no units in Africa
                    - no units Sardinia or sicily
                    - supplied allied unit in mainland Italy
                    - pol pt level is 60 or less.

                    The Axis can get hurt by attacking influetial neutrals like Sweden and Switzerland (-20).

                    Its not all doom and gloom for the axis,... if they can push the level up to 75 pp, Spain and Turkey join the Axis. There is +3 for being in French North Afr, +3 for being in Egypt, +1 for each Russian Pers. City, +5 for Moscow. There are also various "+" value if the Allies do politically stupid things like invading neutrals (the more outrageous the higher the penalty, +20 for Sweden or Switzerland, +10 for SPain or Turkey, +5 for any other neutral).

                    Soooooo,.... there are effects on the political landscape if any of the three alliances just go romping about the continent with their armies.
                    Last edited by The Purist; 15 Aug 10, 23:57.
                    The Purist

                    Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

                    Comment


                    • Hmmm... do we get those points back if we can prove that the "Liberation" of France is 90% baloney?
                      If so, how?

                      (I knew it was a mistake to let those Partisans run around freely for the last year or so...)
                      "Why is the Rum gone?"

                      -Captain Jack

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                        Hmmm... do we get those points back if we can prove that the "Liberation" of France is 90% baloney?
                        I'm not sure how you'd do that given that your panzer forces have just been shredded and you still have an open flank stretching from Cherbourg to Antwerp.

                        Just saying ;-)
                        My board games blog: The Brass Castle

                        Comment


                        • I dunno, I'm on the Eastern Front.
                          Speaking of that...

                          Major Wiesredau stood on the roof of his command Panzer and surveyed the carnage all around him.
                          The big cats, the Tigers and Panthers, had done their work well this August, no doubt a month that would be remembered as Bloody August by most of Europe. Nowhere would that be more appropriate than East Prussia.

                          True, there were German tanks burning in this vast plain, but for every on of them there were 4 or 5 Russian ones, and the ones with Red Stars would be dynamited, not recovered.
                          The Major saluted a troop of Brumbars as they cruised by, churning up bone-dry dust on their way to obliterate another pocket of Russians trapped somewhere. No ravine no matter how deep of clump of forest no matter how thick would save them from 150mm guns shielded by 100mm of armor.

                          The strategic genius of Kesselring teamed with the Operational talent of Rommel had worked well on this front, this was the one area where 1943 had not been a year of disaster for Germany. By shuffling an entire theater's forces and giving ground, Smiling Albert had given Rommel the forces and opportunity to lash out at Stalin's hordes. The most daring element of the plan had been to open a hole in the front right where nobody could believe one would be allowed to open; East Prussia itself. Once the USSR's best assault units had gone streaming out into open terrain and left their AT Brigades behind, they were meat on the table for the massed Panzer formations waiting for them.

                          Wiesredau sat down and scanned the horizon with his binoculars. Now that the work here was mostly done, his mind turned from sweet victory to the grim reality over the horizon. Rommel was already leaving for France, where would his Battalion be headed next?
                          "Anything but the Balkans," he muttered to himself.
                          "Why is the Rum gone?"

                          -Captain Jack

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                            I dunno, I'm on the Eastern Front.
                            Speaking of that...

                            Major Wiesredau stood on the roof of his command Panzer and surveyed the carnage all around him.
                            The big cats, the Tigers and Panthers, had done their work well this August, no doubt a month that would be remembered as Bloody August by most of Europe. Nowhere would that be more appropriate than East Prussia.

                            True, there were German tanks burning in this vast plain, but for every on of them there were 4 or 5 Russian ones, and the ones with Red Stars would be dynamited, not recovered.
                            The Major saluted a troop of Brumbars as they cruised by, churning up bone-dry dust on their way to obliterate another pocket of Russians trapped somewhere. No ravine no matter how deep of clump of forest no matter how thick would save them from 150mm guns shielded by 100mm of armor.

                            The strategic genius of Kesselring teamed with the Operational talent of Rommel had worked well on this front, this was the one area where 1943 had not been a year of disaster for Germany. By shuffling an entire theater's forces and giving ground, Smiling Albert had given Rommel the forces and opportunity to lash out at Stalin's hordes. The most daring element of the plan had been to open a hole in the front right where nobody could believe one would be allowed to open; East Prussia itself. Once the USSR's best assault units had gone streaming out into open terrain and left their AT Brigades behind, they were meat on the table for the massed Panzer formations waiting for them.

                            Wiesredau sat down and scanned the horizon with his binoculars. Now that the work here was mostly done, his mind turned from sweet victory to the grim reality over the horizon. Rommel was already leaving for France, where would his Battalion be headed next?
                            "Anything but the Balkans," he muttered to himself.
                            That is one view . Love the propaganda bit about 4 or 5 Soviet tanks lost for every German. At least this shows that we are not looking at your thread .

                            FYI when we are told we have destroyed at most a couple of divisions, and then there is a massive gaping hole, we know its a trap . That's why we didn't try to push onto Berlin . Still, have to applaud your willingness to take risks to win .
                            How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                            Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

                            Comment


                            • Oh, they knew it was a trap!
                              Looks like I need to put some gunpowder in Uncle Joe's pipe again...


                              Yeah, thanks, but what the hell, taking risks seems like the thing to do right now. Makes it more interesting when you say "screw winning, I'm gonna have some fun!"
                              "Why is the Rum gone?"

                              -Captain Jack

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                                Oh, they knew it was a trap!
                                Looks like I need to put some gunpowder in Uncle Joe's pipe again...


                                Yeah, thanks, but what the hell, taking risks seems like the thing to do right now. Makes it more interesting when you say "screw winning, I'm gonna have some fun!"
                                We have been very lucky on that score. Even if we get pushed right back and start losing major cities, we then enter Total War footing and actually get stronger . Go figure .
                                How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                                Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X