The Officer's Mess - The place for baiting and taunting the other teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back into action

Ok folks, I got the game rolling again on Tuesday and have finished off I/7/43. The brief news for all is the Red Army continued its offensive, the Allied drive in the Balkans slows and the Allies have made a landing in Brittany, France. Since this is a rather important event I will post a minnie update for the Germans western front tonight or tomorrow morning before I leave for the week's vacation (as noted previously).

Once this is posted the game will go into hiatus until my return on the 26th where the OKW orders should be ready to go and we can press on through the summer of 43.

Folks were wondering where the allies would move next. Now we know.
    The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• I'm back. I'll spark up the game and get the remaiunder of the month moving this evening.

Cheers.
      The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• 8/43 Update in progress

The Germans have their 8/43 update and are writing their orders. In the meantime, here are the casualty lists for the fighting in 7/43:

German losses: 2 x 6-5 destroyed, 4 x 1-5-1 destroyed, 2 x 2-4 Hun destroyed, 15 x 6-5 reduced, 1 x 1-5-1 reduced, 1 x 3-3 Cav reduced, 1 x 8-8 reduced.

West Allied losses: 2 CW 8-10 reduced, 2 CW 9-8 reduced, 1 CW 3-8 destroyed, 1 US 8-10 reduced, 1 Fr 8-10 reduced, 3 Tur 2-5-1 reduced.

Red Army losses: 1 9-6 reduced, 3 8-6 reduced, 7 5-5 reduced, 6 4-4 reduced, 1 2-5 destroyed.
        The Purist

Comment

• Okay, I'm back and feeling much better now.

Looks grim, but unconditional surrender is still not an option, not by a long shot.
          "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• Hopefully it wasn't anything serious.
            "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
            -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
              Hopefully it wasn't anything serious.
              Well, when you feel sick, go home. I was dumb and wound up sweating out a summer cold for three days at home.
              Just stubborn, I guess.

BTW- do we have a time limit on this game?
              Like, by the end of this year or some such?
              "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                Well, when you feel sick, go home. I was dumb and wound up sweating out a summer cold for three days at home.
                Just stubborn, I guess.

BTW- do we have a time limit on this game?
                Like, by the end of this year or some such?
                Well, glad that it was nothing serious. Summer colds are the worst.

Now that you are back to normal, I can reply with our CW usual quip:

Time limit? Are you in a hurry to surrender?
                "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
                -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

• Do you realize we have been at this for 10 months?

I've had jobs that didn't last this long!
                  "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• The game ends in IV/6/45 or when Germany surrenders.
                    The Purist

Comment

• Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                      Do you realize we have been at this for 10 months?

I've had jobs that didn't last this long!
                      The whole point of games like this is that they take as long to play as the war did to fight ;-)
                      My board games blog: The Brass Castle

Comment

• Originally posted by The Land View Post
                        The whole point of games like this is that they take as long to play as the war did to fight ;-)
                        Really?
                        I better look into re-floating my WW1 alternate-history Naval Wargame.
                        Had to let it go when I got busy at work, but it was also obvious that the game would go on for a year or more.... and I thought everyone would drift away.

I need to see if my notes are still around!
                        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• 8/43 - Jah-zusssss, what a month

Its going to be tough to repeat the the political and military anarchy that swept across Europe in 8/43,... short of the surrender of Germany, of course.

A full scale partisan uprising in France, a massive German counter offensive in East Prussia, Red Army advance in the Ukraine, the fall of Sofia to the British, axis minors falling apart, the allies lose ground in Brittany but gain a bit ground in Italy and Yugoslavia, bombers ravage Germany production while the LW races back to defend the Reich, dogs and cats living together,.... total chaos.

It will take some time to write up the the updates but the German 9/43 update should be ready tomorrow evening or so. In the meantime here are the loss reports.
                          __________________________________________________ _________________________

Germany: 2 U-Boats sunk, 3 Interceptors shot down, 3 x 6-5 destroyed, 1 x 1-5-1 destroyed, 1 Bulg 2-4 destroyed, 1 x Rom 2-4 destroyed. 2 x 13-8 reduced, 1 x 11-8 reduced, 6 x 10-8 reduced, 3 x 8-8 reduced, 1 x 7-10 reduced, 12 x 6-5 reduced.

Ludwigshaven Mfg centre hit, Schweinfurt Rail centre hit, Kassel Rail centre hit, Nuremburg Rail and Mfg centres hit, Chemnitz Rail and Mfg centres hit, Leipzig Rail centre hit.

Repairs to SB hits are secret (the allies have to figure/guess that one for themselves)

Russia: 1 x 5-5 destroyed, 1 x 4-4 destroyed, 3 x 3-5 Mech Bde destroyed, 2 x (1)-10 AT Bde destroyed, 1 x 10-1-10 Arty Corps destroyed. 2 x 9-6 reduced, 1 x 8-6 reduced, 12 x 5-5 reduced, 2 x 4-4 reduced.

Allied: CW 3-8 destroyed. 2 x CW 9-8 reduced, 1 x US 8-10 reduced, 3 x Turk 2-5-1 reduced. 2 bombers lost.

In short,... with the exception of the US and Turkey, no nation can replace the losses suffered in 8/43 with only one months production. Armies continue to decrease in over all strength. Despite the bloodbath the German lines have not broken and the fight goes on.

Exciting times,.... very interesting to watch the strategies unfold.
                          Last edited by The Purist; 09 Aug 10, 11:49.
                          The Purist

Comment

• Well now, are you having fun yet?

Just reading that put a smile on my face, but I think Smiling Albert better wait and have a look at the map before he has a party.

And it figures that the Americans and Turks would be enjoying chaos more than anyone else!
                            The Turks lost two bombers?
                            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• Heavy casualties all round but really, ouch!, look at those German panzer losses! 9 Panzer divisions and 3 PzGrenadiers reduced!

I'd like to think they were mainly lost against the Russians but actually I expect they were mainly due to lots of Exchange battle results in Brittany...
                              My board games blog: The Brass Castle

Comment

• Very interesting guys.

Is it possible for Bulgaria and Rumania to switch sides in the game, like they did in history?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X