Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
    I'm available if it starts again .
    This game is far from over Nick,... next game would probably not be a moderated affair anyway.
    The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Purist View Post
      Germany has a very tough hand to play and it is suggested that the more experienced player takes the Germans. That being said, I'd be happy with either the Red Army or the W Allies as well
      Fair enough :-)

I have bitten the bullet and ordered a copy. So long as my girlfriend doesn't notice, I think I can afford it. So I will be taking you up on your offer of a game sooner rather than later.

BTW I played through a month worth of the demo , got to the Soviet Production Phase, and found it impossible to deploy units - it was very keen for me to select units to turn into cadres, but not to deploy any acual units. Any advice? What'ev I missed?
      Last edited by The Land; 19 May 10, 06:16.
      My board games blog: The Brass Castle

Comment

• Originally posted by The Land View Post
        Fair enough :-)

I have bitten the bullet and ordered a copy. So long as my girlfriend doesn't notice, I think I can afford it. So I will be taking you up on your offer of a game sooner rather than later.

BTW I played through a month worth of the demo , got to the Soviet Production Phase, and found it impossible to deploy units - it was very keen for me to select units to turn into cadres, but not to deploy any acual units. Any advice? What'ev I missed?
        Hey Land it kind of screwy for the Russians. When you are deploying units make sure you clear out the deployment areas. I found that they fill up quickly. So you might have to during your movement phase move units just to move them out of the way.

There are only a few places to deploy troops usually around the more majore cities and the adjacet hexes. Hope that helps it took me awhile to figure it out also.

BTW did you find the German easier to play than the Russians trying to figure out where to set up a defense is tough.

Comment

• Originally posted by craven View Post
          BTW did you find the German easier to play than the Russians trying to figure out where to set up a defense is tough.
          In the demo - yes definitely easier to play as the Germans - the first 2 months of Barbarossa is a bit one-sided!

Even if it's not for the material superiority of the Germans, the Russian deployment is more technically difficult - finding defensive lines, trying to work out where the troops are coming from to man them, whether any position is tenable or just going to be flanked right away, trying to make sure you don't put a lot of newly-built divisions into key places in the line, trying to get the balance of 1-4 Infantry and stronger armoured divisons right to get fortifications built...

Am just finishing my violin practice then loading up again.

Comment

• I see the Allies are getting lots of communications, anything for us bad-guys?
            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• Originally posted by The Land View Post
              In the demo - yes definitely easier to play as the Germans - the first 2 months of Barbarossa is a bit one-sided!

Even if it's not for the material superiority of the Germans, the Russian deployment is more technically difficult - finding defensive lines, trying to work out where the troops are coming from to man them, whether any position is tenable or just going to be flanked right away, trying to make sure you don't put a lot of newly-built divisions into key places in the line, trying to get the balance of 1-4 Infantry and stronger armoured divisons right to get fortifications built...

Am just finishing my violin practice then loading up again.
              Yeah when I was playing I was thinking I am simulating the early Russian army pretty accurately. I tried a few to many defensive stands to early until I figured out there no way i can stop the German juggnaught

Comment

• Originally posted by craven View Post
                Yeah when I was playing I was thinking I am simulating the early Russian army pretty accurately. I tried a few to many defensive stands to early until I figured out there no way i can stop the German juggnaught
                Yup. It's just about possible to make a reasonable delaying stand at Riga - but doing that probably involves infantry that should be fortifying itself around Leningrad.

It's possible to hold out at Minsk but there isn't really an opportunity to construct a cohesive line there so the best that can be achieved is a hedgehog for a few weeks

Kiev can be defended, more or less, so long as you don't try to form a line too far in front of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                  I see the Allies are getting lots of communications, anything for us bad-guys?
                  The current month should be completed by tomorrow night. The US trip and extended German updated slowed things up last weekend and this week, especially since the allies and Russians needed their updates and first moves carried out as well.
                  The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Purist View Post
                    The current month should be completed by tomorrow night. The US trip and extended German updated slowed things up last weekend and this week, especially since the allies and Russians needed their updates and first moves carried out as well.
                    No worries! Thanks very much for all the work you're putting in for us.
                    BoRG
                    "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

• Originally posted by Arthwys View Post
                      No worries! Thanks very much for all the work you're putting in for us.
                      Agreed .
                      How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• I just hope the allies get to see how this feels, just once;

http://langa.posterous.com/acme-mine-removal

And now that they are trying to link up with the Russians in Romania, of all places, its looking more and more likely.
                        (c'mon guys, you didn't think it would be that hard to figure out, did you?)
                        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

I just hope the allies get to see how this feels, just once;

http://langa.posterous.com/acme-mine-removal

And now that they are trying to link up with the Russians in Romania, of all places, its looking more and more likely.
                          (c'mon guys, you didn't think it would be that hard to figure out, did you?)
                          We're not trying to surprise anyone. Now stopping us is a different matter.
                          "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
                          -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
                            We're not trying to surprise anyone. Now stopping us is a different matter.
                            I'm just saying... we have been trying to be clever, when are you guys going to give it a go?

"Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

I'm just saying... we have been trying to be clever, when are you guys going to give it a go?

I hear ya. On the other hand even though you know "student body right" is coming it doesn't make it any easier to bring down the running back!
                              "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
                              -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Well, we figured we'd just concentrate on winning
                                BoRG
                                "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X