Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Officer's Mess - The place for baiting and taunting the other teams

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by tsar View Post
    Turkey was certainly a distraction but I donít know if it was the game stopper. We lost units certainly but where would they have been used? We couldnít send them to Africa, and at least in the beginning, we werenít at war with Russia. Even after the WitE started given our decision to not trigger total war there wasnít much more we could have done with them.
    I'm failing to comprehend any German strategy in any World War 2 game that doesn't involve trying to conquer Russia.

    The alternative strategy - trying to conquer the UK - only works if you have a fleet, which I don't think there's been any sign of.
    My board games blog: The Brass Castle

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post

      Blaming us for attacking Germany, is like blaming Britain for starting WW2 after Germany invaded Poland (the UK was the first to declare war afterall).

      The fact that the Germans have decided not to trigger total war with us means they must be after the W Allies as a priority. We can't be defeated if our land is not taken I presume, and to win the Germans must strike us hard at some point?

      I don't currently understand the reasoning behind the German strategy, but it does make the game more interesting .
      lol i am not actually playing.

      But getting to total war when you attacked first is an assumption that the Russian people would of responded the same way as they did when they were attacked. It might of been even possible that if Germany attacked Turkey that Russia might of joined them and gotten a better position on the Brits.

      the US is the same way in RL do not kick us first and odds are we will beat ourselves.

      just pondering the game mechanics.
      Last edited by craven; 11 May 10, 22:45.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Demon_Llama View Post
        It's because no one has ever killed enough of us to make us go home and lick our wounds. I'm not exactly sure on numbers, but I believe we've had fewer casualties than the OTL by a significant margin.

        Also, the spread out nature of the CW means the CW in particular tends to be fighting several small wars in different locations. You can only have so many troops in Africa, etc.
        I know what you are saying but it seems that your sea transport is every where. btw you are using it well. Which usually for the Allies was the limiting factor.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by craven View Post
          lol i am not actually playing.

          But getting to total war when you attacked first is an assumption that the Russian people would of responded the same way as they did when they were attacked. It might of been even possible that if Germany attacked Turkey that Russia might of joined them and gotten a better position on the Brits.

          the US is the same way in RL do not kick us first and odds are we will beat ourselves.

          just pondering the game mechanics.


          I'll worry about the game mechanics later.

          If the Fascists are using only half there original forces against us, where are the other half (rhetorical question) ?
          I expect the W Allies will be facing more Axis troops, but given that Italy capitulated early, I'm not too sure where all these extras are?
          As a Soviet player I can only hope as a direct result that a greater share of the fighting falls on the US and CW troops.

          Great game , and thanks for running it Mr Purist .
          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post

            I'll worry about the game mechanics later.

            If the Fascists are using only half there original forces against us, where are the other half (rhetorical question) ?
            I expect the W Allies will be facing more Axis troops, but given that Italy capitulated early, I'm not too sure where all these extras are?
            As a Soviet player I can only hope as a direct result that a greater share of the fighting falls on the US and CW troops.

            Great game , and thanks for running it Mr Purist .
            Agreed!

            Many Thanks!

            BoRG
            "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

            Comment


            • Ok,... I'm back from "Tornado Laneway",... or "Avenue",... or "Boulevard",... or whatever blustery bit of America that they call Texas and Oklahoma. I'll be able to get back to the game this evening but updates for the Allies and Soviets will oikely have to wait until Sunday.

              Cheers.
              The Purist

              Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

              Comment


              • Life on hold until Sunday then .
                How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

                Comment


                • It's called Tornado Alley.

                  What else can you call it when all the streetlamps and signs have been blown away?
                  "Why is the Rum gone?"

                  -Captain Jack

                  Comment


                  • Buying Computer War in Europe

                    Decision Games seem to have decided they don't want to sell CWiE

                    It costs $60 and is only available as a boxed set which will cost another $34 to ship to the UK - no digital download option...

                    I can't find it on Ebay or Amazon.

                    Any tips on how to get hold of a (legal) copy for a reasonable price?
                    Last edited by The Land; 18 May 10, 08:40.
                    My board games blog: The Brass Castle

                    Comment


                    • It is a rather small and specialised company but I am surprised at the shipping cost (probably include any customs and duties charges).
                      The Purist

                      Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

                      Comment


                      • It's probably a test - unless you're willing to shell out $100 and wait a month for the game to show up, you probably don't have the willpower to actually play the game.

                        Anyway - if I *did* acquire a copy, would anybody like a game? (Preferably not people who have spent decades playing monster games themselves) :-P
                        My board games blog: The Brass Castle

                        Comment


                        • I'm in. Of course I would play the Germans. I think I might just know another fellow new to the game as well. I still have to spark up a scenario or two as a training aid.

                          I have heard from others who said it only took 1 week to make it across to the UK. The game has massive replay ability and is a great value ,... but a full campaign does take a long time (expect a week to play out a game-month,... sometimes less).
                          The Purist

                          Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by The Purist View Post
                            I'm in. Of course I would play the Germans. I think I might just know another fellow new to the game as well. I still have to spark up a scenario or two as a training aid.
                            Who says you get the Germans? :-P
                            My board games blog: The Brass Castle

                            Comment


                            • I'm available if it starts again .
                              How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                              Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by The Land
                                Who says you get the Germans? :-P
                                Germany has a very tough hand to play and it is suggested that the more experienced player takes the Germans. That being said, I'd be happy with either the Red Army or the W Allies as well
                                The Purist

                                Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X