Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
    You think you have it tough?
    I'll be glad to tell you about what we went through trying to get Malta... after the game, of course.
    After The Purist said we were only attacked with about half the numbers of forces originally used for Barbarossa, I would say we got off lightly, and there I was feeling smug at how relatively well we were doing .
    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
      After The Purist said we were only attacked with about half the numbers of forces originally used for Barbarossa, I would say we got off lightly, and there I was feeling smug at how relatively well we were doing .
      You have no idea how lucky. I own the original release (1.0). In one of the first games I played I had the Russians attack the Germans. Germany counter-attacked inflicting more then the needed losses to cause the Russian economy to collapse for a number of weeks. Theoretically it should have come back on line after 5-6 weeks. But it never did. A bug in the game meant that if the Russian production collapsed that was it, no new arms points no new manpower. Once you spent what you had accumulated you got no more. Try winning with that penalty.

On the other hand the Russians never did surrender. I killed every unit and occupied the country to the end of the board and they never gave up.
      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

• Originally posted by tsar View Post
        You have no idea how lucky. I own the original release (1.0). In one of the first games I played I had the Russians attack the Germans. Germany counter-attacked inflicting more then the needed losses to cause the Russian economy to collapse for a number of weeks. Theoretically it should have come back on line after 5-6 weeks.
        So.... you're saying that as a Russian player in these circumstances you got tanked, but as the German player for some reason you're doing really badly?

I think I'm up for that rematch. :-)
        My board games blog: The Brass Castle

Comment

• Originally posted by The Land View Post
          So.... you're saying that as a Russian player in these circumstances you got tanked, but as the German player for some reason you're doing really badly?

I think I'm up for that rematch. :-)
          No. Iím saying that in the original release there was a glitch that tanked the Russians. The version we are playing is not the original release.

Further knowing that this would happen I would have been truly gaming the system if I had responded in a way that would have caused it to happen. Then Nick would truly have had something to complain about.

Also we are not doing really badly.

As TP pointed out we have only about halve as many troops in Russia as Germany did in OTL. And we have deliberately not advanced far enough to trigger total war for the Russians.
          Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

• Originally posted by tsar View Post

Also we are not doing really badly.
            I wonder about that.
            Okay, the Western Allies are not a full year ahead, but they did cause ITaly to surrender 9 months ahead of Real Time, and I think the Torch Landings were the same.

Turkey killed us, but there is plenty of time for the Allies to make a mistake that turns out to be just as huge and punishing.
            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

I wonder about that.
              Okay, the Western Allies are not a full year ahead, but they did cause ITaly to surrender 9 months ahead of Real Time, and I think the Torch Landings were the same.

Turkey killed us, but there is plenty of time for the Allies to make a mistake that turns out to be just as huge and punishing.
              Exactly .

Its not over yet by any stretch of the imagination, and plenty to play for .
              Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

I wonder about that.

Remember that the West is about 8 months ahead of the OTL as far as reinforcements is concerned. Therefore we are about on track. Except that we are 8 months behind the West in forces. So we are doing as well as can be expected for now.

Turkey was certainly a distraction but I donít know if it was the game stopper. We lost units certainly but where would they have been used? We couldnít send them to Africa, and at least in the beginning, we werenít at war with Russia. Even after the WitE started given our decision to not trigger total war there wasnít much more we could have done with them.

Comment

• You could have attacked Norway. SHAEF was a bit surprised that nothing developed in Norway, since it would have given you a theatre where we might have fought you, and you could have tried to bleed our numbers a bit.

Comment

• I'll be out of reach for a couple of days while travel to the US on business. When I return Thursday I'll start the Allied and Russian updates.

Cheers.
                    The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                      And there I was thinking we were doing pretty good, as currently limited by our inability to be at full strength due to a game mechanic .
                      Actually I would not say it a game mechanic since you did attack them first. Not allowing Russia to go to total war might be fairly accurate depending on the Iron Fist of Stalin.

Comment

I wonder about that.

It the one thing that struck me was the amount of things the US and Britain can do at the same time.

Comment

• Originally posted by craven View Post
                          It the one thing that struck me was the amount of things the US and Britain can do at the same time.
                          We can if you let us.
                          Wisdom is personal

Comment

Actually I would not say it a game mechanic since you did attack them first. Not allowing Russia to go to total war might be fairly accurate depending on the Iron Fist of Stalin.

Blaming us for attacking Germany, is like blaming Britain for starting WW2 after Germany invaded Poland (the UK was the first to declare war afterall).

The fact that the Germans have decided not to trigger total war with us means they must be after the W Allies as a priority. We can't be defeated if our land is not taken I presume, and to win the Germans must strike us hard at some point?

I don't currently understand the reasoning behind the German strategy, but it does make the game more interesting .

Comment

It's because no one has ever killed enough of us to make us go home and lick our wounds. I'm not exactly sure on numbers, but I believe we've had fewer casualties than the OTL by a significant margin.

Also, the spread out nature of the CW means the CW in particular tends to be fighting several small wars in different locations. You can only have so many troops in Africa, etc.

Comment

• I am really looking forward to seeing the full maps at the end if possible, or at least the highlights. I'm looking forward to kicking my own butt several times over when it is revealed how many opportunities we missed .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X