Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Officer's Mess - The place for baiting and taunting the other teams

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fine.
    Will you commit to a re-match? I would like to see how well you do from our side of it.
    Now that we know that the Western allies can jump a year ahead of the historical capabilities, I would not take any country but the US.
    "Why is the Rum gone?"

    -Captain Jack

    Comment


    • Uh,... the US (or the allies) aren't anywhere near ahead by a year in strength or capability. Physically (excluding Turkey and Greece/Albania) they are about 8 months ahead in ground taken.

      Russia is not even worth talking about it is so different from the OTL. I think the Germans have done an excellent job with limited resources.
      The Purist

      Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by The Purist View Post
        Russia is not even worth talking about it is so different from the OTL. I think the Germans have done an excellent job with limited resources.
        And there I was thinking we were doing pretty good, as currently limited by our inability to be at full strength due to a game mechanic .
        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
          And there I was thinking we were doing pretty good, as currently limited by our inability to be at full strength due to a game mechanic .
          You are. I wanted to surround and destroy all the units you had north of Odessa, but most of them seem to get away, again.
          If it was up to me, and I am the one on the Russian Front, I would be on the Dnieper bend right now!
          "Why is the Rum gone?"

          -Captain Jack

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
            You are. I wanted to surround and destroy all the units you had north of Odessa, but most of them seem to get away, again.
            If it was up to me, and I am the one on the Russian Front, I would be on the Dnieper bend right now!
            I'm not quite sure how the game works, but the plan was to allow you to try to pinch off that bulge in the south, while attacking your flank as you did so. Didn't work .
            How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
            Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

            Comment


            • The Russians have done well but considering the German strength in the east has never been more than about 50% of its historic strength, the view needs some tempering. Unfortunately for the Germans, this weakness has meant much lower Red Army casualties and and the ability to slowly build up their defensive capacity in 42.

              With that capacity set, the Russian were able to begin the converison of lower echelon units to higher ones (the Guards, Tank and Mech Corps) and use them to some effect this past winter.
              The Purist

              Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by The Purist View Post
                The Russians have done well but considering the German strength in the east has never been more than about 50% of its historic strength, the view needs some tempering. Unfortunately for the Germans, this weakness has meant much lower Red Army casualties and and the ability to slowly build up their defensive capacity in 42.

                With that capacity set, the Russian were able to begin the converison of lower echelon units to higher ones (the Guards, Tank and Mech Corps) and use them to some effect this past winter.
                Perhaps you should give us scores at the end on how well you believe we have done .
                How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

                Comment


                • Naw,... this game proves nothing. Its just a bit of fun. I'll probably post a few thoughts on the over all strategies and the turning points (hindsight, of course).
                  Last edited by The Purist; 07 May 10, 08:17.
                  The Purist

                  Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                    And there I was thinking we were doing pretty good, as currently limited by our inability to be at full strength due to a game mechanic .
                    Nick get over it. You attacked us; this keeps you from going to total war. It is not a “game mechanic” any more then us not being able to put as many divisions as we want in Africa. Live with what you have and stop complaining about the consequences of your decisions.
                    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by tsar View Post
                      Nick get over it. You attacked us; this keeps you from going to total war. It is not a “game mechanic” any more then us not being able to put as many divisions as we want in Africa. Live with what you have and stop complaining about the consequences of your decisions.

                      Being at war for over a year on your own soil is not cause for total war?
                      Still, it does have the advantage of when we do win, it will be even more humiliating for you to be beaten by vastly understrength army .
                      How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post

                        Being at war for over a year on your own soil is not cause for total war?
                        I’m sure that The Purest explained how total war would be triggered if you attacked us instead of the other way around.

                        Since he would have I can only conclude that the Russians came to one of two expectations.
                        1) That you would be able to get to Berlin as a result of your surprise attack before we could react to it. Or
                        2) That we would push deeply enough into your country to trigger total war for you.

                        So you were either relying on us being incompetent or your own troops being so.
                        We of course proved to be able to hold you off and, while your troops were more then incompetent enough, we didn’t make the mistake of helping you get stronger at our expense.


                        Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                        Still, it does have the advantage of when we do win, it will be even more humiliating for you to be beaten by vastly understrength army .
                        Yup, you’ll be able to thank the West for saving you from a long inconclusive stalemate that ends further east then your start line.
                        Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by tsar View Post
                          I’m sure that The Purest explained how total war would be triggered if you attacked us instead of the other way around.


                          Originally posted by tsar View Post
                          Since he would have I can only conclude that the Russians came to one of two expectations.
                          1) That you would be able to get to Berlin as a result of your surprise attack before we could react to it. Or
                          2) That we would push deeply enough into your country to trigger total war for you.

                          So you were either relying on us being incompetent or your own troops being so.
                          We of course proved to be able to hold you off and, while your troops were more then incompetent enough, we didn’t make the mistake of helping you get stronger at our expense.
                          Our plan was always to wait as long as possible before fighting. That way we could build up our strength and create more of the more effective formations.

                          Originally posted by tsar View Post
                          Yup, you’ll be able to thank the West for saving you from a long inconclusive stalemate that ends further east then your start line.

                          We'll see
                          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                            Our plan was always to wait as long as possible before fighting. That way we could build up our strength and create more of the more effective formations.
                            Yea, how’d that work out for you?
                            Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by tsar View Post
                              Yea, how’d that work out for you?
                              Very well thanks . We are far further west than historically at this time . Thanks for asking .
                              How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                              Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post

                                Being at war for over a year on your own soil is not cause for total war?
                                Still, it does have the advantage of when we do win, it will be even more humiliating for you to be beaten by vastly understrength army .
                                You think you have it tough?
                                I'll be glad to tell you about what we went through trying to get Malta... after the game, of course.
                                "Why is the Rum gone?"

                                -Captain Jack

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X