No announcement yet.

The Officer's Mess - The place for baiting and taunting the other teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's okay, they will learn soon enough how difficult it can be to get things moving.

Comment

• It one of the more interesting things watching the game. As I watch the various offensives it seems that anything close to an actual rapid advance is precluded.

Comment

• Originally posted by craven View Post
        It one of the more interesting things watching the game. As I watch the various offensives it seems that anything close to an actual rapid advance is precluded.
        Well, the entire burden of tactical movement and fighting is on the Purist. We are not even Generals, we are playing at the role of Field Marshals, issuing directives and such from far away.
        It really can't work any other way, anything else would bog this down to an un-playable level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
          Well, the entire burden of tactical movement and fighting is on the Purist. We are not even Generals, we are playing at the role of Field Marshals, issuing directives and such from far away.
          It really can't work any other way, anything else would bog this down to an un-playable level.
          Oh I was just talking about the overall game play. In a generic sense it looks like WW1 rather than WW2 just looking at how he lines move back and forth. The exception to this was in Africa.

Comment

Oh I was just talking about the overall game play. In a generic sense it looks like WW1 rather than WW2 just looking at how he lines move back and forth. The exception to this was in Africa.
            Not quite WWI, but you're right - there's a lack of breakthrough and maneuver. I don't think there has been a single large-scale encirclement; a few corps here and there but nothing on the scale of Stalingrad or the Battle of France....

I think there are 2 reasons for this...
            - the teams, having good hindsight, aren't making the same operational-level mistakes as happened in the OTL (e.g. the Commonwealth *know* how easy it is to get hammered if they overextend into Belgium in 1940...)

- Purist, knowing the game well, doesn't make many tactical mistakes either
            My board games blog: The Brass Castle

Comment

• Oh, there have been pockets in every campaign its just that it is not always possible to keep everyone inside them. The biggest pocket in the French campign netted 13 french divisions. The Germnas netted a good one early in the Russian campaugn in Galacia and earlier in 42 around Minsk. However, these usually happen in mid-month and I haven't wanted to stop the action to post a screenie.
              The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Purist View Post
                Oh, there have been pockets in every campaign its just that it is not always possible to keep everyone inside them. The biggest pocket in the French campign netted 13 french divisions. The Germnas netted a good one early in the Russian campaugn in Galacia and earlier in 42 around Minsk. However, these usually happen in mid-month and I haven't wanted to stop the action to post a screenie.
                Blimey . The first I've heard of it ? Still I assume are looses are far lower than historical ?
                How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                  Blimey . The first I've heard of it
                  Me too.
                  I had thought that they had gotten away in Galacia, and that Minsk was no big deal.

You don't have to post screenies, but a brief tally on occasion would do wonders for my angst.

Comment

• Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                    Me too.
                    I had thought that they had gotten away in Galacia, and that Minsk was no big deal.

You don't have to post screenies, but a brief tally on occasion would do wonders for my angst.
                    Good idea

Perhaps just a quick tally of known own losses against believed enemy losses .
                    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• Originally posted by The Purist View Post
                      Oh, there have been pockets in every campaign its just that it is not always possible to keep everyone inside them. The biggest pocket in the French campign netted 13 french divisions. The Germnas netted a good one early in the Russian campaugn in Galacia and earlier in 42 around Minsk. However, these usually happen in mid-month and I haven't wanted to stop the action to post a screenie.
                      Thanks for the explanation Purist.

to make it easier rather than doing individual tallies/reports for mid month stuff how about a overall news report from a neutral country.

Something like in latest news a pocket around minks has formed and it is estimated 30 to 50 russian division maybe trappped and taking heaving losses. Or something simple like that. Just an idea and i know i probally underestimating the work involved so fell free to tell me to SHUT UP and BE QUIET.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation Purist.

to make it easier rather than doing individual tallies/reports for mid month stuff how about a overall news report from a neutral country.

Something like in latest news a pocket around minks has formed and it is estimated 30 to 50 russian division maybe trappped and taking heaving losses. Or something simple like that. Just an idea and i know i probally underestimating the work involved so fell free to tell me to SHUT UP and BE QUIET.
                        Great idea , although running a game does take a fair amount of time behind the scenes, for which most take for granted, and don't give thanks .

Looking forward to the next update .

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                          Great idea , although running a game does take a fair amount of time behind the scenes, for which most take for granted, and don't give thanks .

Looking forward to the next update .
                          Bah he is only moving a thousand or so counters around counters around that aint that much

But I am not one to talk i cant figure out how to do an attack yet in the demo
                          Last edited by craven; 26 Mar 10, 15:48.

Comment

• Click on the target hex
                            Then click on the units adjacent that you wish to attack with.
                            When you call up indvidual stacks you can click on all or some, depending on the odds you want.

To the right click on the + aircraft button to add air support (provided you assigned them in the air allocation phase).

Then click on the tank button to make the attack.

Just remember an over run takes 13-1 odds and can only be done by a maximum of three units.
                            The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• Looking forward to the next update . Didn't get my fix this weekend .

Comment

• It will be up soon. A couple of points need clarification from the Germans and I can push on.
                                The Purist

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X