The Officer's Mess - The place for baiting and taunting the other teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tsar View Post
    I will admit that playing a blind game instead of being able to see everything has made it a lot harder. ...
    Yes,... fog of war removes the OPS from the normal board game

OPS=Omnipotent Player Syndrome. Where the players can see everything on the map. No hidden reserves, no surprise attacks, no need for intelligence. As an example, in the board game the Germans could see when and where the Russian massed their artillery and heavy units for an offensive with 100% clarity and accuracy. So,... they would just step back one hex and congratulate themselves on being military geniuses (did it myself). OPS is one of the reasons I stopped playing table top games at operational and strategic levels. No finesse possible anywhere.

The advantage of the computer version is that you may not have any idea what is going on behind the lines without good air reconnaissance. This requires air units and forces all sides to retain air power on all active fronts or be blind. This is another realism bonus of the game.
    The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Purist View Post
      The advantage of the computer version is that you may not have any idea what is going on behind the lines without good air reconnaissance. This requires air units and forces all sides to retain air power on all active fronts or be blind. This is another realism bonus of the game.

Yes I always hated that the RAF had no reason to actually engage in the battle of Britain until the first German unit arrived on their island. Then the Luftwaffe had to provide ground support, naval interdiction land interdiction and fight for air superiority. While the RAF just had to fight for control of the skies.
      Now there is a reason to fight the air war everywhere at the same time. AP production becomes very important.
      (Although knowing what’s happening everywhere makes it a lot easier to look brilliant).
      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

• Very much looking forward to the next update .
        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• Should have the month wrapped up by this evening and be able to post the German update. WA and SU updates will follow.
          The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Purist View Post
            Should have the month wrapped up by this evening and be able to post the German update. WA and SU updates will follow.
            Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• How about some more personal glimpses from the front?

Comment

• Did we miss and update?

Comment

• Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                  Did we miss and update?
                  Hope not .

Comment

• Oh, you guys didn't get the news? The Allies won and the war is over. I guess you would not have heard the news as we disabled your communications and ability to share news. Next game!
                    "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
                    -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

• Nope. The Germans are taking care of their 10/42 plans and then I can do the WA and SU.
                      The Purist

Comment

• We are?
                        I thought we had taken care of that...

Comment

• Guys,

I'm going to be off line for the next week as I am taking my college team on our annual Florida spring training trip. I'll be back and hopefully the war will not have passed me by. I look forward to catching up to all the action.
                          "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
                          -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

• So, how many panzers does it take to conquer Turkey?
                            My board games blog: The Brass Castle

Comment

• I'm afraid we'll never find out, but we do know the Axis can't produce enough to get their job done.
                              Wisdom is personal

Comment

• Ummmm,... guys,... because you only see one side of the hill you don't realise how close they came to succeeding '42. It only required a couple of attacks to work out differently for a different outcome.
                                Last edited by The Purist; 22 Mar 10, 12:48.
                                The Purist

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X