No announcement yet.

The Officer's Mess - The place for baiting and taunting the other teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You'll see. Just look for one of your divisions to magically dissappear.
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• What's going on?

Comrade Nickolai looked at the map, the one bulb barely giving enough illumination to see by. Why Turkey he thought.

The Fascists had certainly appeared to have had the better of the Imperialists, proving their mobility, initiative and communication/coordination was superior to anything the W Allies had. Wallies he though, smiling to himself. His grin vanished as he realised it was also superior to anything we had as well.

We must not play their game. We must not merely react, but act, unless it is in our best interests of course.

He pondered one fact very carefully. They had attacked, but not so threateningly so as to put us on a total war footing? Nonsense, or was it? And they had also attacked so late that it would be impossible for them to take Moscow before winter had set in?

Turkey must be a bluff he hoped. An attack to draw the Imperialists to the far side of the Med, lengthening supply lines, and a greater chance of interdiction as a result. Also hoping to draw some of our forces into the rocky interior of Asia Minor?

Recently, an obvious gap in the Fascist lines was begging for an attack in that area. Of course if we had fallen for it, it would have weaken our defenses elsewhere, and that potential attack of ours would have been a trap for our armoured units. The forces in the Baltic would have been surrounded, leaving Leningrad exposed and probably taken. That would have relieved much stress on any Fascist logistical network.

So what was their plan? They appear to be wasting their infantry (actually their allies infantry it appears), when if issued with a few decent AT guns (such as our excellent 76.2mm field guns) they would make excellent holding units to support their Panzers.

Those Nazi's cannot be playing for time can they? Or are they expecting us to make an unprepared impetuous attack?

I'm obviously not drinking enough vodka to think clearly.
      Last edited by Nick the Noodle; 10 Mar 10, 13:23. Reason: spelling
      How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• I'm obviously not drinking enough vodka to think clearly.

Either that, or we are all falling victim to the Wolf Syndrome... giving the other guy too much credit for being clever.

That was a good 1st-person little post, Nich, better than my attempt to meld one of my own a while back. Would anyone else like to try one?

Comment

• Originally posted by Exorcist View Post

I'm obviously not drinking enough vodka to think clearly.

Either that, or we are all falling victim to the Wolf Syndrome... giving the other guy too much credit for being clever.

That was a good 1st-person little post, Nich, better than my attempt to meld one of my own a while back. Would anyone else like to try one?

A bit of colour from all concerned would not go amiss .
          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• Yeah, I'll try something tomorrow, brain's a little fried now.

Comment

• Corporal Smith wiped the dust from his brow as he tried hard to peer through the sand storm.

"Wish I would not have lost my glasses." he said under his breath.

"Corporal, how are you men holding up?"

"Just fine sir. We could use a spot of tea but other than that we are fine."

"Well, look sharp. We've got the Nazis on the run and their lines are falling back. We must not let up in our push to drive them into the sea."

Corporal Smith remembered the speech his commanding officer gave the troops during the last staff officers' meeting.

"The eyes of the Commonwealth are upon you men. Your actions here will help determine the outcome of this war. This war was started by an enemy bent of world domination and it is up to us to defeat him and his will to continue the fight."

Those words stuck with Corporal Smith as his men pushed across the desert.

"Carry on Corporal. Get your men ready as we are moving out shortly."

"Yes sir."

Corporal Smith wiped the sweat out of his eyes and looked up at the sun.

"I wonder what my brother is going through back home?" he thought as he climbed into the truck.

"Men, we are making another push. Hopefully in a few short weeks we will be back in England."

The diesel engine roared to live and jerked forward as the driver let out the clutch. They were headed toward the front and the sound of the guns.
              "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
              -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
                Corporal Smith wiped the dust from his brow as he tried hard to peer through the sand storm.

"Wish I would not have lost my glasses." he said under his breath.

"Corporal, how are you men holding up?"

"Just fine sir. We could use a spot of tea but other than that we are fine."

"Well, look sharp. We've got the Nazis on the run and their lines are falling back. We must not let up in our push to drive them into the sea."

Corporal Smith remembered the speech his commanding officer gave the troops during the last staff officers' meeting.

"The eyes of the Commonwealth are upon you men. Your actions here will help determine the outcome of this war. This war was started by an enemy bent of world domination and it is up to us to defeat him and his will to continue the fight."

Those words stuck with Corporal Smith as his men pushed across the desert.

"Carry on Corporal. Get your men ready as we are moving out shortly."

"Yes sir."

Corporal Smith wiped the sweat out of his eyes and looked up at the sun.

"I wonder what my brother is going through back home?" he thought as he climbed into the truck.

"Men, we are making another push. Hopefully in a few short weeks we will be back in England."

The diesel engine roared to live and jerked forward as the driver let out the clutch. They were headed toward the front and the sound of the guns.

Comment

• Tulsa Time

Ok,... I'm back from the land of tornadoes and big wind. The game will recommence this weekend. Updates for 10/42 this weekend.
                  The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Purist View Post
                    Ok,... I'm back from the land of tornadoes and big wind. The game will recommence this weekend. Updates for 10/42 this weekend.

Comment

• Pilot-Sergeant Konrad Kroeger dipped his Uhu observation plane down out of the cloud he had been lurking in, and sure enough, the pair of MiG-3 fighters that had been tracking him from below rose to intercept him. Normally, Konrad would have to fend for himself and try to evade the interceptors as best he could, but today was hardly a normal day. Keying his microphone, he said two words, "achtung, Indians!" and waited for the fun to start.

Within seconds, three Bf-109 'Gustav"s swept down out of the same cloud and pounced the MiGs. The MiGs looked like good fighters- where Barracudas were mostly mouth, these planes seemed to be mostly engine, but that didn't seem to count the way it should have.

Painfully aware of their technical inferiority, the MiGs split apart from each other and dove away. They tried to be clever and circle back towards each other so that each pilot would have a chance to shoot down the fighter on his partner's tail. This might have been a good move, but the Luftwaffe's pilots were too skilled to be caught up in such a move. All three of them lined up on one MiG and blasted it before it was halfway through the maneuver. When the other Russian came around, he flew straight into the waiting guns of 3 Gustavs and then plummeted to the ground like a meteor.

Konrad saw it all, and thanks to the huge glass nose of his Uhu, so did his illustrious passengers. One Bf-109 streaked off to flame a Pe-2 that might have witnessed the engegment while the other two rejoined the Uhu. 7 planes in all involved in this little fray, the largest Konrad had seen for many months on this aviation-starved front. The decorated general leaning to one side of the observation bubble hardly seemed to notice, his attention was riveted on the ground, and his sphere of interest.
                      So be it. Despite recent events, this man was said to be very good at his trade, and Konrad would rather be fighting in Russia than over his own home town. Hopefully, this new man would insure that the Army could take the war to Russia proper, atl long last.

Minutes later, Konrad set his slender plane named for an Owl down on the grass airfield nest to the Panzergruppe's HQ. As the props wound down a hatch opened, and General Rommel took his first steps on Russian soil.

Comment

• Rommel eh ? Are we supposed to surrender now, or allow him to have one big decisive victory first ? Also, you may want to look behind you .

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                          We'll see . I assume having the game helps . I may have to buy it myself. Still can't figure out your strategy yet, as your actions appear to be most weird . Nevermind, we are doing better than the historical SU did so far, so no complaints .

I will admit that playing a blind game instead of being able to see everything has made it a lot harder. And those damned fatigue rules (they donít have them in the board game) really slows down the attacks.
                          Still it will work both ways so time will tell if my record remains intact.
                          Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

• In the board game units with an attack strength of X maintained that strength throughout the game (barring loss of supply). So an armoured unit was just as fresh six months after it stepped of on an offensive. The advanced attrition rules (softened by about 50%) add a new level of realism in that the longer a unit is 'engaged' the weaker it gets.

Using Barbarossa as an example, Guderian's panzer group advanced from Brest-Litovsk to Smolensk in about a month and his armour had been reduced in strength from various causes to about 50%, the railheads were still back in Poland and the infantry struggling to catch up. The Germans could not have advanced very much further in July without some sort of rest (which was imposed on them by the logistics situation anyway). This is replicated in the game. After about 4 to 6 weeks a divisions will likely be reduced to 60% or less of its effectiveness and will require 2-3 weeks rest (out of ZOC helps recovery even more). The longer this rest is delayed, the longer will be the recovery.

In this game, during the French campaign, exhausted German infantry that had been rebuilt (field rebuilt divisions take a big organisation hit) were sent to Poland or to garrison Holland and Belgium. They were there more than a month before the could be rotated back to the front (travel time included).
                            Last edited by The Purist; 13 Mar 10, 10:04.
                            The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Purist View Post
                              Welcome back. Looking forward to it.
                              BoRG
                              "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

• Originally posted by tsar View Post
                                I will admit that playing a blind game instead of being able to see everything has made it a lot harder. And those damned fatigue rules (they donít have them in the board game) really slows down the attacks.
                                Still it will work both ways so time will tell if my record remains intact.
                                You'll be pleased to know we don't know what we are doing below the strategic level at all .

We are just trying to put the historical correct type of units at the right place at the right time. Or so we hope.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X