The Officer's Mess - The place for baiting and taunting the other teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Officer's Mess - The place for baiting and taunting the other teams

Feel free to chat about anything in here. Just remember,...

... loose lips sinks ships.
    Last edited by The Purist; 22 Nov 09, 17:50.
    The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Players should organise themselves into their respective "Staffs" with a designated "Cheif of Staff" who will be the main point of contact.

I suppose we should start with a brief tutorial once everyone settles in. Those who have experience with this game (old board version or computer) should let themselves be known to their teams as this will help explain what goes on in less time than if we go through everything one step at a time.

There are three HQs set up. Please do not enter HQs that you are not a member of. Players are encouraged to use PMs and other methods of comms with each but I will be posting HQ specific information in those threads as required (along with screen shots).

Staff Roles -

In short you lot are required to come up with the overall military and production strategy. What are the Red Army priorities for defence of the USSR? Will the Germans want to attempt Sealion? Can the Allies cross the Channel in 1942 and stay there?

You decide.

It will be impossible for the teams to direct the actual detailed movement of troops but you are welcome to give instruction as you see fit and I will try to make sure the staff directives are carried out. In the early months of our game I will offer plenty of "game" function advise as well as what is possible and not possible. With the passage of time this advise will taper off and you will be on your on to win or lose the war as you see fit.

This game has it all. Production limits, logistics, resource management, operational art, strategic warfare, political consequences and so on.

Now it is up to you.

This will take us a lonnnnngggg time to work through but its 2009 now,... we should be able to finish this in less time than the actual war lasted

Let's have some fun.
    Last edited by The Purist; 22 Nov 09, 18:04.
    The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Just a question, will the Allies be using production or historical builds?
      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Historical

The game was really designed to work best with historical builds and the U-boat war as written.

Here are the historical options to be used:

Russia: active at peace but with heavy restrictions.

Advance attrition (but toned down some)
        Fog of War
        Variable Weather
        No Out of Supply AEX
        Hex control blocks supply
        Partisans cut rail
        Minor ZOCs
        Full strength air assaults
        Partial combat odds
        Blitzkreig ZOCs
        Additional Units
        Variable Allied Strength
        Operation Sealion
        Malta/Tobruk
        CW North Africa Limits
        German Personnel points
        ASW/Raiders
        Strategic Rail Bombing alloed
        RRU can remove SW Rail Hits
        Limit MSUs in severe climate
        No Axis severe weather reductions
        Variable Soviet Disruption
        Murmansk Lend-Lease
        Last edited by The Purist; 26 Nov 09, 09:13.
        The Purist

Comment

ZOCs for 30-mile hexs?

For me, no ZOCs is good, just thought I would toss that out first off.

As for the rest, I will have to take a look at the rules before I make a recommendation.
          Got a link to them?
          "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist
            ZOCs for 30-mile hexs?
            33 kilometers, or about 20 miles. Considering you can stack four divisions in those 20 miles ZOCs are fine. Standard in all games of this scale.

Originally posted by Exorcist
            As for the rest, I will have to take a look at the rules before I make a recommendation.
            Got a link to them?
            Try Decision Games here:

http://www.decisiongames.com/wwii/europe/europe.htm
            The Purist

Comment

Have the teams been decided yet?

Sorry Nick,... you can join STAVKA if you like. Not much to for quite awhile but its up to you.
              Last edited by The Purist; 23 Nov 09, 14:44.
              How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
              Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

We have three OKW members so far.
                The Purist

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                  Have the teams been decided yet?
                  Good question. Were people who got in the game PM'ed or are there still openings? If the game is full, please put me on the waiting for the next future game.
                  "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
                  -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

The Current Staffs

As of this morning we have:

OKW -

tsar, Exorcist, Khryses

SHAEF -

Demon Llama, Nick the Noodle, Twitter3

To add your name simply cut and past the entire list to a new post. let me know when you have elected/appointed your respective "Chief of Staff".

I'll be back on line tonight (+7hrs GMT)
                    The Purist

Comment

Originally posted by The Purist View Post
                      As of this morning we have:

OKW -

tsar, Exorcist, Khryses

SHAEF -

Demon Llama, Nick the Noodle, Twitter3

To add your name simply cut and past the entire list to a new post. let me know when you have elected/appointed your respective "Chief of Staff".

I'll be back on line tonight (+7hrs GMT)
                      Greetings Purist, as I PM'd you earlier, don't forget to put me in STAVKA please...

Cheers
                      BoRG
                      "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

How long will the tutorial run?
                        That will help determine which options to pick.
                        Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Originally posted by tsar View Post
                          How long will the tutorial run?
                          That will help determine which options to pick.
                          SHAEF is doing their thing for the first couple of turns, OKW seems about ready and STAVKA is manned (but no real action in the Tutorial). STAVKA will probably be allowed to shadow SHAEF for the Tutorial.

I don't see why we can't get through this before the weekend. Since you own the game (correct?) you might help your team understand the way production works. The production sequence should go by relatively quickly and I would like to kick of the full game next weekend.
                          Last edited by The Purist; 23 Nov 09, 14:44.
                          The Purist

Comment

How to add your name to a team

John Doe wants to join SHAEF. JD quotes the last team list like thus,

OKW - tsar, Khryses, Exorcist

SHAEF - Demon Llama, Twitter3

STAVKA - NTN, Arthwys
                            and adds his name to the team thus,

SHAEF - Demon Llama, Twitter3, John Doe

STAVKA - NTN, Arthwys
                            Cheifs of Staff should have their names underlined and bold thus,

SHAEF - Demon Llama, Twitter3, John Doe

STAVKA - NTN, Arthwys
                            This way we know who is who and to whom I direct my main game function comms.
                            Last edited by The Purist; 23 Nov 09, 14:51.
                            The Purist

Comment

Originally posted by The Purist View Post
                              SHAEF is doing their thing for the first couple of turns, OKW seems about ready and STAVKA is manned (but no real action in the Tutorial). STAVKA will probably be allowed to shadow SHAEF for the Tutorial.
                              Appreciated!
                              BoRG
                              "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X